Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crash repair quote

• 30-11-2015 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I banged into a parked car in mid October. The car was unoccupied so I left a note with my phone number. I had made a small dent over the back tyre which wasn't too noticeable but obviously I couldn't just leave without doing nothing. A few days later I get a call from the owner and she said she hadn't even noticed the dent or the note until that day. I told her I would pay for whatever repair would be needed and that I would prefer to pay cash, she and I both agreed at most it would be 100 euro.

Fast forward to today, I hadn't heard from her and I just received a text message saying that she was quoted 600 euro for the damage but she would accept 300 into her account!

I feel that it's a bit dodgy because why would she ask for half of what she was quoted. I've asked her for the details and that I was going to let my insurance look after it. I've been driving for 12 years with no prior claims. Would this make a huge difference to my insurance cost and no claims?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duckduck1991

Catnwinnie wrote: »
    I banged into a parked car in mid October. The car was unoccupied so I left a note with my phone number. I had made a small dent over the back tyre which wasn't too noticeable but obviously I couldn't just leave without doing nothing. A few days later I get a call from the owner and she said she hadn't even noticed the dent or the note until that day. I told her I would pay for whatever repair would be needed and that I would prefer to pay cash, she and I both agreed at most it would be 100 euro.

Fast forward to today, I hadn't heard from her and I just received a text message saying that she was quoted 600 euro for the damage but she would accept 300 into her account!

I feel that it's a bit dodgy because why would she ask for half of what she was quoted. I've asked her for the details and that I was going to let my insurance look after it. I've been driving for 12 years with no prior claims. Would this make a huge difference to my insurance cost and no claims?

Thanks for any advice

I presume you loose your no claims depending on what company your with.
    Have you no claims protection ?
    Cars are expensive to fix even something that looks very small can cost a lot to get right
    Its sounds to me like (maby I'm wrong )
    This person is looking for a quick few pound before Xmas and has no intention of fixing the car
    If it is a fact that you'll loose your no claims Bonus I'd try haggle. .Offer 200
    12 yrs no claims is alot to loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Do not put a €600 claim through your insurance, it will cost you more in the long run. Sounds as if she'll accept €300 and leave the car unrepaired. If €600 reflects the true cost of repair, her suggestion sounds like a reasonable solution. I'd take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 to the suggestion to offer her €200. Basically it's a nuisance claim - cash to p1ss off. Make sure you get her to sign a declaration that she is accepting the money 'in full and final settlement' of all claims arising out of the collision. Even at €600 it's not worth putting it through your insurance, you will pay it back and more in increased premiums and nobody else will give you a quote for several years because you've had a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Catnwinnie

Thanks for all the advice. I had asked to call me yesterday whenever was convenient to her and I haven't heard anything since. If I do hear from her I'm going to offer 200 euro and see how that goes.

Thanks again!

It is a gamble, but go for it if you think it is the right thing to do. If I was the other party and had an estimate for €600 and offered you a €300 settlement to live with the damage, I'd get the hump if you countered with €200. I'd get it repaired and stick you for the full amount. Then again, I'm a bit of a bollucks about things like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It is a gamble, but go for it if you think it is the right thing to do. If I was the other party and had an estimate for €600 and offered you a €300 settlement to live with the damage, I'd get the hump if you countered with €200. I'd get it repaired and stick you for the full amount. Then again, I'm a bit of a bollucks about things like that.

In principle you're correct but the fact that she said the estimate was €600 and she's prepared to accept €300 means she wants the cash instead of the fix and that for me is a bargaining signal. If the dent gets repaired and the OP pays for it, she has nothing to spend so I'd be pretty confident the OP can settle this for cash at or below €250.

coylemj wrote: »
    In principle you're correct but the fact that she said the estimate was €600 and she's prepared to accept €300 means she wants the cash instead of the fix and that for me is a bargaining signal. If the dent gets repaired and the OP pays for it, she has nothing to spend so I'd be pretty confident the OP can settle this for cash at or below €250.

Oh, I totally agree with you that it would work in most situations, just that if I was the injured party (being that sort of bollucks) I would repair the car and stick the OP for the full repair cost when I was being kind in offering a reasonable compromise I can be a nice chap though, was 'tapped' in the rear last week while sitting parked in a car park. The lady was very apologetic and dealt the thing properly. I couldn't see much damage on my car, so I wished her well and headed off. Life is all about Karma

Advertisement