Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2016

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

So took me a week to get my invitation, took my employer the full 20 days to do their part and got my work permit approved a week later.

Likely going to be travelling within the next month, pretty excited about it now.

Need to figure out insurance before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stall

Hi guys,
    Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm planning on getting an IEC for Summer 2017, but I'm not sure when to apply, should I apply now for the 2016 IEC and then not activate it (I read somewhere that this was possible?), or should I wait for a few months and the IEC 2017 will open?
    Any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sponsorgate

You should just apply now in my opinion

If you get accepted ( it will take a number of weeks), it is valid for 12 months from once visa is issued so it will be valid until Sept 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Got my letter of acceptance today :)

Ok , what documentation do I need once I arrive. The letter, proof of funds( print out copy of my bank statements??) & health/travel insurance??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got my letter of acceptance today :)

Ok , what documentation do I need once I arrive. The letter, proof of funds( print out copy of my bank statements??) & health/travel insurance??

You need a proof of funds (I just printed a bank statement at the self service kiosk in the bank the day before I left) dated within the last 7 days of when you arrive, your insurance cert and your Poe letter. I brought the conditional acceptance letter too just in case but it's not needed. Make sure you check the work permit at the airport that it's valid for the full 2 years as it can be a pain to correct mistakes later down the line. Sometimes it can be useful to print off the page of the website that states you're entitled to a 2 year visa but again it's not really needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Pogba6

Anyone else heading to Toronto on their own around February? Im 25 and never lived away from home so im a bit nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Yup, heading over mid February! :)

ciano1 wrote: »
    Yup, heading over mid February! :)

How old are you and what di you work as if you don't mind me asking?

I'm worried about getting work over here, I've only ever worked as a labourer for cash in hand and I'm 25, so I don't really have much experience on my C.V, I have a leaving cert and a few other qualifications though

I've heard you can get work in the oil fields without much experience would anyone know much about this? I haven't found much myself on the Internet

Pogba6 wrote:

I'm 24. I graduated from uni last year with a science degree but have been working in a factory ever since to save up money!

I'm not too bothered by the type of work I get in Toronto so long as it pays the bills :)

ciano1 wrote: »
    I'm 24. I graduated from uni last year with a science degree but have been working in a factory ever since to save up money!

I'm not too bothered by the type of work I get in Toronto so long as it pays the bills :)

Cheers, yeah I'll take any work I can come by myself, you headed over alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Pogba6 wrote: »

I'm worried about getting work over here, I've only ever worked as a labourer for cash in hand and I'm 25, so I don't really have much experience on my C.V, I have a leaving cert and a few other qualifications though

I've heard you can get work in the oil fields without much experience would anyone know much about this? I haven't found much myself on the Internet

I think the oilfields are still recovering from the drop in oil prices last year and there's not as much work around. I know a few people who found work on them, but they had relevant qualifications and experience.

Pogba6 wrote: »
    Cheers, yeah I'll take any work I can come by myself, you headed over alone?

As of now, yes I am. I know a few others toying with the idea or are in the process of applying for their IEC Visa.
    Mine expires in March so I can't be waiting around for others to make up their minds!

I'm thinking of just getting any old job for the summer months and try and get a 'real' job once the weather starts to turn bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

I think the oilfields are still recovering from the drop in oil prices last year and there's not as much work around. I know a few people who found work on them, but they had relevant qualifications and experience.

Hey guys, haven't been on here in a while. Anyway I've been working in Fort McMurray about 2 1/2 years now, been through the oil price drop and was part of the wildfire evacuation in May past.

Right now the work situation is not great up North, any jobs that are being advertised currently is by the Oil Companies themselves which requires experience in the Oil Sands for the likes of Heavy Equipment Op jobs. For jobs in the plant they usually require an Engineering Qualification. I know a few people studying Power Engineering so they can apply for a job with Syncrude or Suncor down the line. Also you need to be living in Fort McMurray to get any local jobs, fly in and fly out is hard to get right now.

I've been working with a Dewatering Company since I got up there so we're steady right now, been working in Saskatchewan the past 3 months but that's now ended. Hoping to get moved to BC soon with the same company as we're a bit busy over there, will see what happens, but yeah anybody looking to work in the Oil Sands may think hard about it, will help big time if you know people up here already. Believe me paying 1000 bucks a month on rent and looking for a job isn't easy.

Anybody who has any Qs give me a shout on here!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicololaB

I'm hoping to head to Toronto in March 2017. I have a science qualification and a few years experience in Ireland and the UK. Does anyone have an idea about the job prospects in science around Toronto?
    Also anyone else planning on going around March time on their own?

I'm going February/March alone, terrified if I'm honest,

Don't have a clue about what jobs in the science field are like there but :D

I haven't looked into science jobs too much, but just from glancing on indeed.ca it seems that most of them are in cities such as Brampton and Mississauga. Both of which are 30-60 minutes on a train from Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicololaB

Yes seems to be a few on indeed.ca so hopefully will be some there when I arrive next year. 30-60mins is a manageable commute. I'm not dead set on science jobs so if it's not realistic to live in central(ish) Toronto and commute to those areas I'll take any job I get!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plastik90

Hey, just looking for some quick advice on my application is giving me the following details on the CIC page.

Work permit June 17, 2016 Approved
    International Experience Canada May 31, 2016 Invitation Received

Is there anything more I need to do or am I good to go once I get my POF and insurance? (Planning on traveling Jan 2017)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pigotty

Hello all..just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting a job in the psychology research field/clinical psychology work?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Quick question.

I have my IEC visa, heading over in January. However I'm going over this Friday for 10 days. Do I need to get an ETA or can I use the one on my Visa? Won't be activating my visa until Jan.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Quick question.

I have my IEC visa, heading over in January. However I'm going over this Friday for 10 days. Do I need to get an ETA or can I use the one on my Visa? Won't be activating my visa until Jan.

Thanks

Just to answer my own question, you can use this site to check your ETA if you already have a Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

when are next years visas released/applied for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 larenlily

Hi just wondering if the visa is a consecutive one or if there is still a need to renew it after one year? My passport doesn't expire till 2025?
    Also 21 and moving alone if anyone needs a travel buddy !!!

Advertisement