Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy fondant icing

Options
  • 30-11-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I need to buy around 10kg+ of fondant icing. Is deco bake my cheapest option?
    White will do the job as I can colour it:)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Lidl is your cheapest option if you can find it in any of the shops, most of them seem to be sold out of it due to the demand and good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

phormium wrote: »
    Lidl is your cheapest option if you can find it in any of the shops, most of them seem to be sold out of it due to the demand and good price.

Thank you, how much is it per 500g? Tesco is €1.89 per 500g and decobake is €2 per 500g (inc delivery). I am guessing decobake is a superior product?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Not 100% sure on price but I think it was 1.49 per kg (75c per 500g) which is why it's hard to find now!

As to quality it depends what you are using it for. The lidl one is very good (as is the Aldi one when they have it) and the ingredients in this type of product are pretty standard, the biggest difference I find is in the 'stretch' when rolling and covering and this just relates to the amount of gum type product added. The Lidl one is much better than the Tesco one which has no stretch I find. None of them are actually nice to eat really so as thin a coat as possible is best which is possible with good stretchy paste.

For decorating individual cakes like Christmas cakes and the like any of the supermarket ones are fine, they only time I would splash out for a better product which again relates more to the way it handles rather than any superior ingredients or taste is for a wedding cake when you want to get a really good finish. My preference for that job is Sugar Paste Direct from Stuff4Cakes.ie I find icewise very good for pre coloured paste in deep colours as this is hard to mix and keep a good consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

phormium wrote: »
    Not 100% sure on price but I think it was 1.49 per kg (75c per 500g) which is why it's hard to find now!

As to quality it depends what you are using it for. The lidl one is very good (as is the Aldi one when they have it) and the ingredients in this type of product are pretty standard, the biggest difference I find is in the 'stretch' when rolling and covering and this just relates to the amount of gum type product added. The Lidl one is much better than the Tesco one which has no stretch I find. None of them are actually nice to eat really so as thin a coat as possible is best which is possible with good stretchy paste.

For decorating individual cakes like Christmas cakes and the like any of the supermarket ones are fine, they only time I would splash out for a better product which again relates more to the way it handles rather than any superior ingredients or taste is for a wedding cake when you want to get a really good finish. My preference for that job is Sugar Paste Direct from Stuff4Cakes.ie I find icewise very good for pre coloured paste in deep colours as this is hard to mix and keep a good consistency.

Than you so much. It is for Christmas cakes for secondary school students. I will try and find lidl icing if not I will just order from decobake as pretty much same price as Tesco!

I ordered Tesco green and red for decorations so we will see how that goes ;)

Advertisement