Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen turkey with added water

Options
  • 30-11-2015 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

The packaging on the frozen turkey in Dunnes Stores clearly states " Turkey with Added Water". No percentage is given.

The Guardian newspaper recently had an article on frozen chicken in UK, and quoted the Aldi frozen chicken as being typical, with 18% water added.

As well as paying for the water, this would impact on cooking, as I would have taken the package weight as the weight of turkey to be cooked.

Is it legal to sell any food like this, without disclosing the quantity of water added?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

They do it to chicken, bacon, everything that is processed. Bloody disgrace, avoid buying that crap and buy from a butcher for the day that is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Exactly , buy fresh turkey and avoid supermarket ones - I know we will anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Exactly, buy fresh turkey and avoid supermarket ones - I know we will anyway

because supermarkets won't be selling fresh ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

EU Regulations stipulate that the added water cannot be in excess of 7%.

That does not mean the water content is 7% as naturally there is about 60% moisture in most meats.

During cooking about 10% natural moisture cooks off. - Though the way my mother in law cooks turkey, that's about 40% :)

If you pop into a pet shop and look for dehydrated natural chicken strips - a pack of 100g contains the equivalent of about 12 chicken mini-fillets which would weigh in at about 300-400g raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The EU law is used to the maximum by these companies. Most processed products will hit the limit, even something like ground coffee hits the limit. Best buying unprocessed and fresh produce.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    The EU law is used to the maximum by these companies. Most processed products will hit the limit, even something like ground coffee hits the limit. Best buying unprocessed and fresh produce.

Once the bird is "whole" the limits apply, and yes its far better to buy fresh, however that's not feasible for some people and they can make their own choice. - Up to last year I got my turkey from the farm next door. 24hours from slaughter to plate! :D:D He's not rearing them this year.

What you do need to look out for is "processed" frozen chicken pieces such as goujons etc derived from imported chicken and "tumbled" with additives added. Here you can have up to 20% added water.
    Usually in in the "bargain" end of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Fresh turkey and any kind of meat for me from now on,. At what stage does frozen turkey with added water become ice with added turkey? With complementery phospates for binding the water, and dextrose for sweetening sour poor quality meat?

.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519822/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The same is done with most "cured" bacon and corned beef etc where the need to preserve is used as reason to add more water, there are different levels of added water of course and you usually get what you pay for.

Oxter wrote: »
    Fresh turkey and any kind of meat for me from now on,. At what stage does frozen turkey with added water become ice with added turkey? With complementery phospates for binding the water, and dextrose for sweetening sour poor quality meat?

.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519822/

That's the mail's (Daily Muck) hysterical take on "prepared" raw chicken such as goujons or those with a dressing.

At the end of the day cheap chicken will have the most water & additives.

Pay a reasonable price and you'll get a reasonable product.

Advertisement