Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower id please

Options
  • 30-11-2015 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Can anyone identify this flower, planted one of those Aldi/Lidl wildflower mixes last Spring only had two exemplars of this and have not been able to id it. Sorry about the pics, taken with the mobile.

The flower
    2015-11-01%25252014.53.35.jpg

The buds
    2015-10-07%25252017.17.01.jpg

Leaves
    2015-11-01%25252014.53.48.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The feathery seed pod is nigella, the white flower could be a white marigold. The bud I have no idea, it doesn't seem to belong to the white flower, but then the white flower is a bit white for a marigold, they tend to be creamy. The leaf is a bit like a corn marigold, but they all seem to be different plants.

Sorry, that's not a lot of help! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I wonder F.R. is it a species of scabiosa?
    Cephalaria gigantea might be another possibility perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

looksee wrote: »
    The feathery seed pod is nigella, the white flower could be a white marigold. The bud I have no idea, it doesn't seem to belong to the white flower, but then the white flower is a bit white for a marigold, they tend to be creamy. The leaf is a bit like a corn marigold, but they all seem to be different plants.

Sorry, that's not a lot of help! :D

That's part of the problem. The flower, bud and leaf are all the same plant :( . I have been through all of my books and even spent a quiet evening looking at pictures of white/beige flowers on the internet in the hope of finding it. But I do believe that Bonedigger may have hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    I wonder F.R. is it a species of scabiosa?
    Cephalaria gigantea might be another possibility perhaps?

I think you are right Bonedigger. I shouldn't be surprised since it was out of a generic wild flower mix.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement