Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc. in Security and Forensic Computing

• 30-11-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Good evening all,

A bit of background. I am a software engineer with many years of experience. I have decided to change direction in my career. I basically feel that I have taken the whole software engineering thing as far as I can.

Also, I am have become a bit concerned about the whole ageism thing also. Especially after reading this!

Some tech workers over 50 are literally working themselves to death

I'm not over 50 by the way! But, some day ...

However, to get to the question, I was thinking of studying the above. I haven't decided where yet (as there are a few options including the Open University).

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts? Would it be a good investment of my time in terms of changing direction with my career.

Thanks in advance!

Twibbles :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

http://www.techexams.net/blogs/jdmurray/11-computer-forensics-certifications.html

malware analysis is a very good job with massive money to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Blanchardstown does Information Security and Digital Forensics. I know several students doing it and some of the lecturers and it seems to be a very good course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

Thanks for the replies folks :)

I considered Blanchardstown but the location isn't great. In DCU (which offers similar) the lectures for part timers start at 4pm which isn't ideal. I want to continue working and I work in the city centre so DIT would be very suitable.

I am now thinking of perhaps applying for the following at DIT instead.

MSc in Computing (Data Analytics)

It is a big a growth area. I think that it might suit me.

Dreadful weather :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

How about this?
    http://www.ucd.ie/cci/education/prospective_students/msc_difc.html

just finalising something similar this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

pah wrote: »
    How about this?

I applied for that one myself. Was at the open day not to long ago, pretty decent course lads that finished it seemed to think it was worthwhile

pah wrote: »
    How about this?

Thanks although UCD wouldn't really suit from a geographical point for view.

It seems that there are plenty colleges offering something in the Security/Forensics area which is good.

Roll on the Christmas break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I think investing in your career through study is always a good idea.

What is your next career move? If you are looking to start a career in security management, it would be good to combine your software background (or perhaps you have done other stuff like programme management or business analysis)?

Hello. Thanks for the reply and sorry for taking so long to reply myself. I have been pretty busy this week.

Anyhow, after some discussions with some other IT folk I may actually study data analytics now. I have applied for one MSc anyway. If I don't get a place I may study security and IT forensics instead although now that would be my second choice at this stage.

Career wise I have been pure development in some form or other for 20 years roughly. At a basic level my day to day job hasn't changed a whole lot. So, I am hoping to skill up and make a change in direction. I don't have any experience of management really. I would prefer to remain technical.

I just worry a bit about the future as I see the whole development thing as a young man's game perhaps. Then again, I know a guy in his 50s who works in dev and he has never had trouble finding work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for the UCD course. Can someone comment on the level of programming that is done on this course? I dont have any real experience in this area but I can look at some basic enough code and understand what is going on.

My back ground is IP Networking.

Thanks all

Neon

neonman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for the UCD course. Can someone comment on the level of programming that is done on this course? I dont have any real experience in this area but I can look at some basic enough code and understand what is going on.

My back ground is IP Networking.

Thanks all

Neon

Hey, I had an interview with the course leader and spoke to a chap already in the course. I'm pretty strong in networking/linux tasks but not so much in programming too. Limited experience with java, python, ruby. He didnt seem to mind my lack of experience, seems to be they teach you what you need when it starts. I understand they use some 'C' for the malware analysis (I think) something I have never seen.

Doubt we would be the only ones who are weak in the programming space. BTW places are filled as people apply, so dont leave it too long. And if they accept you the deposit of 500 needs to be paid within 14 days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Thanks Doylers for the reply.

What was the interview like was it very technical? I'd love to get a place on the course as its an area that really interests me and I have experience in DDoS mitigation and analyzing of attacks.

I've started to read up on c/c++ and this site is very useful and from the feedback it seems like a good place to start to learn programming.

http://www.learncpp.com/

Neon

p.s. did you get offered a place and accept?

testicles wrote: »

Don't have a link or any more info on the week in August by any chance?
    neonman wrote: »
    Thanks Doylers for the reply.

What was the interview like was it very technical? I'd love to get a place on the course as its an area that really interests me and I have experience in DDoS mitigation and analyzing of attacks.

I've started to read up on c/c++ and this site is very useful and from the feedback it seems like a good place to start to learn programming.

http://www.learncpp.com/

Neon

p.s. did you get offered a place and accept?

I'll take a look at that site would be handy to get the skills up a bit. The interview was fine, you get the questions a hour before hand to prep. One of them was a question from an exam paper on the course :roll eyes: The others were handy enough ehh write an SQL command to do this or that. Whats an IP address, how does DNS work etc. Went well but they seem to have expected answers of what they want.

I am waiting on bachelors degree results so provisionally I have accepted will know in a few weeks if I'm going or not :pac: Looks really good though so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Roto.D

Hi everyone, I just signed up for this course but I'll be working abroad for the first few weeks. I'd like to get some idea about the pre-course work. I've some basic experience of Java & C++ but no experience of Python - I've started looking it up and trying to get used to the syntax. Does anyone know what version of Python they use - seems to be significant enough differences between 2.7 and 3.5. I don't want to waste time going through one version to find they use a different version so any guidance would be welcome. Also, what involved in Law Writing - is it very formal structured writing and phrases / wording ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Roto.D wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I just signed up for this course but I'll be working abroad for the first few weeks. I'd like to get some idea about the pre-course work. I've some basic experience of Java & C++ but no experience of Python - I've started looking it up and trying to get used to the syntax. Does anyone know what version of Python they use - seems to be significant enough differences between 2.7 and 3.5. I don't want to waste time going through one version to find they use a different version so any guidance would be welcome. Also, what involved in Law Writing - is it very formal structured writing and phrases / wording ???

They dont use a specific version of python. Its best to learn one and (try to) stick with it. Pick either. I prefer 2.7 for no other reason than its what I started learning first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The majority of forensic utilities that can be extended using python based modules are 2.7 based as well.

iirc v2.7 is the version used on the UCD forensic masters and, I think, the DCU one.

thanks all, Python 2.7 it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roottoor

I have applied for this course, and was wondering if anybody has an idea of the lead time for approval from time of submission of documents etc.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that there is an interview.

From what I know, the interview is for potential students from other disciplines i.e. not Computer Science degrees, to assess their technical ability. As said above, you are given the questions about an hour before the interview and then go through the 6 or 8 questions and reason out your answers. I have a IT Science degree but not directly computer science so I had to interview. I found it fairly straight forward and got through the questions. Couldn't exactly remember Little Endian stuff but managed to get around it with other OS stuff. It's not a formal interview as such so don't think of it as a job interview, it's really just a chat to see what you know and what you don't.

testicles wrote: »
    Did you secure your place? Starting on Tuesday! :-)

Just accepted a place and paid the deposit. Bring it on :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement