Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying new American Fridge Frrezer

Options
  • 30-11-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice.

My 9 year old whirlpool American Fridge Freezer is getting the door (have put in €450 in maintenance the last 3 years, and its on the blink again and my fridge guy quoted me €250 for another fix)

So I have decided to splash out on a new one. Have a grand for the budget. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

For what it's worth I've my LG American fridge for 11 years now. No issues just keep changing the filter.

However I recently changed all the other white goods to energy efficient units, the dishwasher from Bosch looked the same as the old one.

So I'd look at the energy rating and running cost. I picked one up recently for someone and it had a small door to a smaller compartment in the fridge to limit the loss of cold air that huge doors like my one does.

So a recognized make with a good energy rating, watch the DB level, keep it low to keep the noise down (handy when deciding between two)
    Maybe look for that small door for the milk etc.

Finally if it has a water cooler look for one with a standard filter. Some have special ones that cost a lot of money. I can buy generic filters, not that big of a deal but you go through them all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

We had an Samsung one before it broke my heart in pieces with maintenance so much so I could confidently strip the whole thing down in less than an hour

My brother had a whirlpool one with the same problem.

I think the ones for the European market are heavily modified examples of the american "Real" ones.

In the end we upgraded to a larder fridge and undercounter freezer ( we dont really use the freezer)

We do miss the ice dispenser occasionally.

I'd give LG a try my brother replaced his Whirlpool with an LG and it was I was about to buy.

I'm not sure if beko do them but i've never had any issues with their stuff I was going to replace the stuff with beko but we got a great deal on Whirpool stuff and the light inside the fridge is LED so where would you be going

Advertisement