Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Landline Dialer on HKC Unit with GSM Dialer

Options
  • 30-11-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a HKC system at home. The user manual says it is either a SW-1070, SW-10120, SW-20140 and I wouldn't be any expert on such things.

Anyway, I'm getting rid of the landline as it is too expensive and I was wondering what my options are for GSM dialers? All I want is a system that calls my mobile if triggered and if I'm not available then it dials a second number instead. That is currently what we have in the landline based system and it works fine.

How much would this cost up-front and how much would the ongoing costs be?

Thanks for any advise here as I'm not too clued in on such things!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The cheaper option would be a generic voice dialler that connected to your landline. This would dial preprogrammed number in order of preference. When each number is answered it looks for human verification input. If it gets that confirmation it hangs up, if it doesn't it rings the next number in the sequence & so on.
    There would be no ongoing costs other than the calls made from your land line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

KoolKid wrote: »
    The cheaper option would be a generic voice dialler that connected to your landline. This would dial preprogrammed number in order of preference. When each number is answered it looks for human verification input. If it gets that confirmation it hangs up, if it doesn't it rings the next number in the sequence & so on.
    There would be no ongoing costs other than the calls made from your land line.

That wouldn't be an option though if I got rid of the landline would it?

Line rental is costing me €37.50 per month so can't afford to keep it.

It's there a GSM option that does what you outlined?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are plenty of generic GSM options also.

Thanks again.

I rang the company who installed the alarm and they have quoted me €295 to set up and install a GSM option that would send a text message if the alarm was triggered. I wouldn't be too fond of that idea as I could easily not see the message.

They also want €100 per year to cover the sim card costs.

That sounds insanely expensive. I would imagine €5 credit could do a couple of months on one of these systems as they wouldn't need to make many calls if the alarm isn't being triggered.

Does this sound like a complete rip off or is this the normal cost of such things?

Thanks

I have said it over and over. You should not have to pay subscription charges to self monitor your alarm. A pre pay sim will be much better value.
    When you get up to that level of ongoing charges you might as well start looking at a full monitoring service.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    I have said it over and over. You should not have to pay subscription charges to self monitor your alarm. A pre pay sim will be much better value.
    When you get up to that level of ongoing charges you might as well start looking at a full monitoring service.

I fully agree with you but we are based in Waterford and I cannot install anything myself so if I don't use the original installer I'm not sure what options I have?

Shop around. There are plenty of installers.
    You can search the register Here.

Advertisement