Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arts in maynooth?

• 30-11-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Im really interested in doing psychology but i wont get the points to do it in trinity etc. Im hoping for atleast 400 points so i was thinking about doing it in maynooth through arts which is 350 points. Would that be a good idea? Im also interested in law and business so im gonna do psychology with the other 2 subjects. Also I know from 2016 there are changing psychology to psychological studies, would that make a difference? Can i go and do my masters and phd in psychology from that? Can i get a grant for that? Someone please advise me what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

IIRC, you only get the maintenance grant when you're doing a postgraduate course and you don't get the fees covered. I don't think you'd have any problems moving on from a bachelor's degree in Psychological Studies to a Psychology Master's/PhD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Sorry to hijack your thread but when applying for arts if I were to do say Music technology which is 350 points along with marketing which is 435 through arts. Do I need to get over 435 to ensure I can do marketing (like Trinitys' Tsm system)?
    Or is it just 350 to do arts with those 2 subjects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

TheBiz wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your thread but when applying for arts if I were to do say Music technology which is 350 points along with marketing which is 435 through arts. Do I need to get over 435 to ensure I can do marketing (like Trinitys' Tsm system)?
    Or is it just 350 to do arts with those 2 subjects?

No you just need the points for fo the BA

All students are required to study 3 subjects in first year and then drop one (or two if transferring to say psychology/ law etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

eschmidt wrote: »
    Im really interested in doing psychology but i wont get the points to do it in trinity etc. Im hoping for atleast 400 points so i was thinking about doing it in maynooth through arts which is 350 points. Would that be a good idea? Im also interested in law and business so im gonna do psychology with the other 2 subjects. Also I know from 2016 there are changing psychology to psychological studies, would that make a difference? Can i go and do my masters and phd in psychology from that? Can i get a grant for that? Someone please advise me what to do?

In maynooth through the BA you must study 3 subjects in first year. You won't be able to study those 3 in combination due to timetable constraints FYI (and tbh you would be crazy to as the workload would be insane)

If you meet a minimum standard of 2.1 you can be eligible for transfer to psychology as your Major and only subject then from second year onwards. Competition is tough and you must pass all your modules and get a 2.1 in psych.

However I'm not sure how/if this will be changing with psychological studies.

You can get a postgraduate grant for postgrads in education but not otherwise AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 matildajane

when do you pick your 3 subjects? On the CAO form you just pick MH101 and then Arts at a later stage but you don't pick your two subjects. How can you be sure of getting the two subjects you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

when do you pick your 3 subjects? On the CAO form you just pick MH101 and then Arts at a later stage but you don't pick your two subjects. How can you be sure of getting the two subjects you want?

This is going back nearly 3.5 years, but when I picked my subjects it was on the first day of Orientation Week. I went straight into maths & CSSE for my second year, so I'm not sure how choosing subjects would work out for an Arts student at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

MH101 is Arts. You pick your particular subjects within Arts at registration next August/September. Don't think there's a space restriction on the Arts subjects... unless things are changing...

Advertisement