Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting bareroot plants

Options
  • 30-11-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi looking for some advice on some bareroot trees/plants I recieved today. I'm now the owner of

3 crab apple
    3 Wayfairing
    2 Rowan
    2 cherry plum
    1 Wild cherry
    1 Alder
    1 Dogwood
    3 Goat willow
    1 Norway maple
    1 Aspen
    2 Bird cherry
    1 birch

The site around my new house isn't really ready for planting yet, could I plant these in pots for a few months then plant out in January maybe? It there anything I should know about any of these species? Do's and donts etc. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

You could dig a shallow trench in the garden and just "heel" them in - as long as they will be out before the growing season begins. The important thing is to keep them cool, moist (not wet) and frost free, and then plant them asap. Don't store them indoors or in a glasshouse etc - they will start to grow before you're ready for them. If you can't dig a trench then just a big box or even a heavy duty black bag with some soil in it will do - there's no need to pot them individually. Just make sure no roots are exposed and that its damp and cool.
    The plants you've listed are generally hardy and will be fine -- how big are things like the birch, crab apple etc? You may need stakes etc when the time comes so make sure you buy what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

worth finding out the eventual size , height, root and crown spread, of the trees before planting too ;) and where are the drains sockage etc

Advertisement