Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-detached - can you hear your neighbours?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I live in a semi-d built in the mid nineties. The houses are attached at the 'wrong' side, i.e. not where the staircase is, but I rarely hear the neighbours even though they have several young kids. I can only really hear them if they have an argument, have guests over or sneeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is actually something I've wondered about, I live in a early 2000s semi, it's timber frame and I can hear next to nothing, the electric shower in the ensuite which backs on to my ensuite. But....it's just 1 girl living there....I wonder is it just because there isn't actually much noise to hear??

Nah. We live in timber frame detached house and you hear less what is going on in next room than we used to hear going on in neighbour's house when we lived in a brick built semi-d. It depends how good the insulation is. We have decent insulation, the house we used to live in had some and there are houses with basically no insulation. Then it also depends how loud the neighbours are.

I actually remember someone on the radio saying that you don't need baby monitor because you can hear kids crying anyway and I remember thinking well you might not need it but we certainly do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Used to live in an "end of terrace" which is effectively semi-d. Heard nothing from them. House was joined stairs to stairs, built in early 80's.

Lived in a few apartments in my time too... Some heard nothing, others were liking living with noisy roommates. Each build is different, I think you have to check the individual circumstances.

Advertisement