Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best program for cloning from a HDD to SSD with windows 10?

• 01-12-2015 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I've just bought an SSD to install in my computer and have been trying to find a good cloning program that works with windows 10, just wondering has anyone here any recommendations?

My old and new drives are the same size (128GB) so I don't need anything special just something to keep my windows setup as it is and also to enable TRIM on the SSD.

I'll be using an USB 3.0 external enclosure to connect to the SSD for cloning but once complete I plan on putting the older HDD into the enclosure to use for backups but I'm wondering is there any known issues doing it this way?

I appreciate any input, TIA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Is the old drive an SSD also?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

simdan wrote:
    Is the old drive an SSD also?

No it's just a HDD, sorry I thought the title clarified it was a HDD to SSD swap.

DanC90 wrote:
    My old and new drives are the same size (128GB) so I don't need anything special just something to keep my windows setup as it is and also to enable TRIM on the SSD.

It's when you said they were the same size 128GB sounded very strange to me. I've never seen a 128GB HDD, what kind of drive is it??

I have moved several machines to SSD over the past 5 years and always find a clean install works best as opposed to a clone when the drive is not identical in size.

DanC90 wrote:
    I'll be using an USB 3.0 external enclosure to connect to the SSD for cloning but once complete I plan on putting the older HDD into the enclosure to use for backups but I'm wondering is there any known issues doing it this way?

Using the drive as a backup is fine. I'm not sure if usb 3.0 will be any faster than 2.0 when using an old style hdd. Is it a 5400 or a 7200 rpm drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I find this one one of the best. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

• Advertisement

simdan wrote:
    It's when you said they were the same size 128GB sounded very strange to me. I've never seen a 128GB HDD, what kind of drive is it??

It came with the computer, its a Sata 2.5 but I haven't removed it yet so I don't know who made it or anything like that.
    simdan wrote:
    I have moved several machines to SSD over the past 5 years and always find a clean install works best as opposed to a clone when the drive is not identical in size.

I would prefer this myself but I've no recovery CD or partition on the computer to do it from, is there any other way?
    simdan wrote:
    Using the drive as a backup is fine. I'm not sure if usb 3.0 will be any faster than 2.0 when using an old style hdd. Is it a 5400 or a 7200 rpm drive?

Haven't a clue, any way to check?
    200motels wrote:
    I find this one one of the best.

Thanks I'll check it out when I get home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

DanC90 wrote:
    It came with the computer, its a Sata 2.5 but I haven't removed it yet so I don't know who made it or anything like that.

Ah ok, it won't be 128GB then. It will more than likely be 100GB or 120GB.

DanC90 wrote:
    Haven't a clue, any way to check?

It will say on the drive once you remove it. If it's 7200 it will give better performance than a standard 5400 rpm drive. A lot of 120GB drives were 7200s so you could be in luck!

simdan wrote:
    Ah ok, it won't be 128GB then. It will more than likely be 100GB or 120GB.

Yes it has a partition of an Asus Recovery of windows 7 Which brings the usable amount to 120GB.
    simdan wrote:
    It will say on the drive once you remove it. If it's 7200 it will give better performance than a standard 5400 rpm drive. A lot of 120GB drives were 7200s so you could be in luck!

Well let's hope it's 7200 so :) it would be good if it was but even if it isn't I'm only planning on using it to make incremental backups once a week so the lower 5400 should do the job for that speed wise I would think.

The Easeus link above seems to come up a lot in all the researching I've done on this, might go with that to do the clone, Just waiting on the enclosure to arrive so I can do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've mostly used the Acronis TrueImage bootable media (I've a paid copy I use for backups, but there are (or have been, at least) legit free copies available if you have a Seagate or WD drive connected to the local system.

Fully free options I'd be willing to trust would be the GParted and CloneZilla bootable CDs. I've used both to clone disks before. In terms of behaviour, you should just be able to boot directly from the SSD after cloning. On first boot you'll see Device Manager installing a new device (your SSD) and you'll be prompted to reboot. After that you should have TRIM enabled automatically and be ready to go :)

So I ended up going with the software that came with the SSD which was from Transcend, their program SSD Scope which only works with their drives apparently but it was really simple and all in all only took me an hour to do.

My Computer is absolutely flying along now :) also turns out that my old drive was 240GB and it had a hidden partition on it so I assume the bloke I bought it from deleted the old volume or something but still more space for me :P its also 7200rpm so I will get the faster speeds :)

Thanks again for all the advice lads.

DanC90 wrote:
    So I ended up going with the software that came with the SSD which was from Transcend, their program SSD Scope which only works with their drives apparently but it was really simple and all in all only took me an hour to do.

DanC90 wrote:
    My Computer is absolutely flying along now also turns out that my old drive was 240GB and it had a hidden partition on it so I assume the bloke I bought it from deleted the old volume or something but still more space for me its also 7200rpm so I will get the faster speeds

DanC90 wrote:
    Thanks again for all the advice lads.

Very good mate! Glad it's all done.. I moved to SSD about 5 years ago. Now all my devices have them and I could never go back. :)

I knew it was a strange one when you said the old drive was the same size! Lol nice a bonus of storage and speed!
    Congrats!

simdan wrote:
    Very good mate! Glad it's all done.. I moved to SSD about 5 years ago. Now all my devices have them and I could never go back.

Ye after seeing how much of an improvement there is and for only €40 I'll never go back :)
    simdan wrote:
    I knew it was a strange one when you said the old drive was the same size! Lol nice a bonus of storage and speed! Congrats!

Ye I thought it was strange when I got the computer that it only had a 120GB HDD :P

Now to get an SSD for the gf's slowing Laptop :D

Advertisement