Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training in the US

Options
  • 01-12-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question which may have been asked before. I am starting a new job with a US company and will be their first employee in Ireland. I will be working from home and traveling. I will have to travel to the US for 2 weeks training in January. Do I need a special visa or can I go over on the holiday visa and tell them at immigration I am there for business/training? I assume a letter from the company stating this would be vital to have? (My ESTA is still valid from my last visit stateside which was just holiday).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, you can go over there to train as long as you are paid via Ireland, ie as an irish employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

silja wrote: »
    Yes, you can go over there to train as long as you are paid via Ireland, ie as an irish employee.

+1 The Visa Waiver Program ... 'enables citizens of participating countries to travel to the U.S. for tourism, business or transiting the U.S. for 90 days or less without obtaining a U.S. visa.'

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/nivwaiver.html

So your existing ESTA approval will take care of the entry requirements. As you suggest, it would be highly advisable to have a letter from the US company stating that your are an employee of theirs based in Ireland, are travelling to the US for training and are due back on xxxx date.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Thanks guys both of you confirmed what I thought but was just making sure. The company was under the impression they had to apply to a visa on my behalf but as I say they have never hired anyone in Ireland before, actually nobody even from Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just be careful not to say that you are going to work when talking to the Border Agent, as this will set off all kinds of alarm bells. Use the words "training and meetings" instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Make sure you bring proof of return also. Your return flights and perhaps a letter from your employer stating that you will be returning to Ireland to work after the trip. Just in case border patrol ask.

• Advertisement

Just be careful not to say that you are going to work when talking to the Border Agent, as this will set off all kinds of alarm bells. Use the words "training and meetings" instead :)

The border agents aren't idiots, they know what's allowed under the VWP. OP just has to (truthfully) say that he's going on business for training.

CBP agent: what is the purpose of your visit to the US?

OP: I've recently taken up employment with a US company, I will be based here in Ireland and they're sending me to the US for xx weeks training. I'm due to return to Ireland on (date).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

coylemj wrote: »
    The border agents aren't idiots, they know what's allowed under the VWP. OP just has to (truthfully) say that he's going on business for training.

CBP agent: what is the purpose of your visit to the US?

OP: I've recently taken up employment with a US company, I will be based here in Ireland and they're sending me to the US for xx weeks training. I'm due to return to Ireland on (date).

Well a guy I used to work with was going over for meetings but accidentally said that he was going over for work. He ended up on the next flight home.

I know (and I'm sure they know) that business is allowed under VWP, you just need to be careful with your choice of words.

Well a guy I used to work with was going over for meetings but accidentally said that he was going over for work. He ended up on the next flight home.

And there was no follow-up questions - you're claiming that the mere fact that he used the word 'work' meant he was refused entry? More likely he drank too much on the plane and screwed up his interview.

This type of story is always secondhand, needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Thanks I have passed through pre-clearance and immigration in the US a few times but those were all holiday/visiting family trips. I know how to behave with those officers.....saw an Irish fella (jackass) once rock up to pre-clearance and put his hands on the desk and say how's it going.....the immigration officer was not one bit impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

yew_tree wrote: »
    Thanks I have passed through pre-clearance and immigration in the US a few times but those were all holiday/visiting family trips. I know how to behave with those officers.....saw an Irish fella (jackass) once rock up to pre-clearance and put his hands on the desk and say how's it going.....the immigration officer was not one bit impressed.

either there are a few jackasses, or we were on the same flight :D

before I moved here, I was back and forth for work with no issues. Just be up front, say you are here for business to meet with your US based colleagues etc and there'll be nothing more said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

I suspect it depends somewhat on which airport you are going to. I have been sent to an IT company in Silicon Valley a few times, and immigrations in San Francisco usually just say "Oh, you are one of those, welcome!". The only time they wanted to look at my letter from my employer (saying that I get paid in Ireland and will not work directly for an American company during my stay) was when I was staying for exactly 90 days.

Advertisement