Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank holiday entitlements?

Options
  • 01-12-2015 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering can someone clear this up for me. My partner works in the building / industrial sector and for Christmas they will take time off from the 23rd of Dec to 4th of Jan. Last year they had to keep some holiday days to cover this time off ,but when I looked last night Christmas day and new years day fall on the Friday this year. I'm thinking that they should be paid a bank holiday for these two days out of the week and than use he's holiday days for the remaining days? This would have happened for me in my previous sales job,but my partner says it's the building trade it doesn't work like that.
    Hes not going to do anything about it I don't think,but I'm sure they are being kept from they're bank holiday entitlements. Am I wrong here?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

If he is finishing on 22nd,
    23rd, 24th Holiday Days
    25th Public Holiday
    26th,27th Weekend
    28th Public Holiday for St Stephens day
    29,30,31, Holidays
    1st Public Holiday
    2nd,3rd Weekend.

so he will need 5 Days Holiday entitlement
    + 3 Public Holidays
    and 4 Weekend Days.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Thanks for that he is working the 23rd so I made it out the same as u only 4 holidays. Strange that he Wont ask about them though. He just thinks he's trade doesn't work like that but I'm sure it's across the board.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The 28th is not a public holiday. Most companies give the Monday off when Christmas day/Stephens day falls on a weekend, but they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Eoin wrote: »
    The 28th is not a public holiday. Most companies give the Monday off when Christmas day/Stephens day falls on a weekend, but they don't have to.

No, they don't. But if they don't give you the day off, you're entitled to :
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday OR
    An additional day of annual leave OR
    An additional day's pay

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do wages for the construction sector. He is due the following public holidays:

25th Dec (Christmas Day)
    28th Dec (for St Stephens Day)
    1st Jan (New Years Day)

The rest of the weekdays he is off will be taken from his holidays.

Has his company actually said they are not paying out public holidays for those dates or is he just presuming this? He should ask the person doing the wages. Have a look at the CIF website also for a list of construction holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Also is he an paye employee or a sub contractor? That will make a difference

Advertisement