Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiependence 2016

Options
  • 01-12-2015 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Following the biggest Indiependence festival to date in 2015, INDIE16 is set to return to Deer Farm in July 2016, with a limited amount of early bird tickets going on sale this Friday, December 4 at 9am.

INDIE15 was a sold out success in a year that saw the festival grow from 5,000 to 8,000 people.

Early bird tickets for 2016 are on sale from Friday morning and are excellent value for the three-day festival at just €90 with camping. Last year’s early birds sold out in record time and festival goers are advised to get them early again this year. Tier 1 tickets for Indie16 will be on sale after the early birds, priced at €99. Tier 2 will be €109 and finally Tier 3 at €119.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

indiepend.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

I for one think that's an excellent line up. Idlewild being a nice surprise in particular. Well done indiependence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Editors surprised me any time that I have seen them live - very energetic, very enjoyable.

Ash are a great live band too.

The Blizzards will draw in people with their reunion, but I didn't realise the Kooks were even still going!! Bell X1 are awfully dull but people love them.

A lot of great acts further down that bill - Pleasure Beach, Saint Sister, Brian Deady, King Kong Company...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Weak enough. The Kooks are dreadful, BellX1 and Ash seem to play every year, no interest in ever seeing Editors or Idlewild.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Weak enough. The Kooks are dreadful, BellX1 and Ash seem to play every year, no interest in ever seeing Editors or Idlewild.

Yea i know Ash played last year but i think only did a half set since Tims voice wsa gone? Could be wrong tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Poor lineup. If it was 2006 it might be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd say The Kooks can't believe their luck that anyone still thinks of booking them, let alone as headliners for a festival....

Ash only played about 4 songs last year 'cos Tim was sick. Ham Sandwich did their headline slot so I presume that's why they are high on the bill this year.

I find with Indiependence that the lower acts are the most interesting. This year Saint Sister, Pleasure Beach and Brian Deady have caught my eye already. I'm not a fan but Bastille, Walking on Cars, Kodaline and Hozier all played in low enough billed slots in recent years. They have an eye for breakout acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Can anyone suggest good accommodation options within walking distance of the festival?

I don't fancy camping but don't want to break the bank either.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

The Firgrove Hotel is about 500 meters from the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Not bad. Don't really care much for the Kooks but Editors are outstanding live.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭villa2008

When will they announce the daily breakdown of bands?? How much is it for a one day ticket?

Would go to see The Strypes and Idlewild if they are on the same day.

villa2008 wrote: »
    When will they announce the daily breakdown of bands?? How much is it for a one day ticket?

Would go to see The Strypes and Idlewild if they are on the same day.

Daily breakdowns in May supposedly.

The Firgrove Hotel is about 500 meters from the site.

Just checked and it's booked out already.

Air BnB, hostels and hotels all seem to be booked out too from what I can see. Looks like I might need to rough it in the campsite.

lc180 wrote: »

Air BnB, hostels and hotels all seem to be booked out too from what I can see. Looks like I might need to rough it in the campsite.

The campsite isn't too bad, just make sure you don't stay in the first one, wait til later on the first day and camp at the back of the second one.
    They also do posh camping if you can afford it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Did you try Clongibbon House? It's in the town square

mimimcmc wrote: »
    The campsite isn't too bad, just make sure you don't stay in the first one, wait til later on the first day and camp at the back of the second one.
    They also do posh camping if you can afford it :D

Posh camping is €650. F**k that!

I don't mind camping it's just that anytime I do camp at a festival the weather is post apocalyptic.

Did you try Clongibbon House? It's in the town square

Yup booked out too.

Posh camping is €650. F**k that!

I don't mind camping it's just that anytime I do camp at a festival the weather is post apocalyptic.

and Indiependence is always guaranteed a wash out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Coasts are worth checking out for anyone going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Editors would be one of my favorite bands but they have been in decline for the last few years. The new album In Dream is my least favorite and Tom Smith has gone all odd for me especially live. But I'd still see them in a heartbeat and it's a big coup for Indie IMO.

Idlewild are another band I particularly like. Scottish band they had a bit of a hiatus there for a while and came back with a new album. I went to see them in The Academy last year I thought they were very good although Roddy Woomble looked like he was dressed to go on a building site :D "The Remote Part" is the best place to start listening :)

Bell XI and ASH are solid Irish bands that we all know well.

That's a superb start and King Kong Company is a welcome addition again.

However I would like to see a few of the newer international acts. The likes of Alvvays, Viet Cong, Beach House, Wolf Alice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Thought Editors were excellent in the Olympia last year, don't know how well they'd translate to an open air venue however.

cson wrote: »
    Thought Editors were excellent in the Olympia last year, don't know how well they'd translate to an open air venue however.

I saw them at Oxegen 2008 (I know, I know) on the main stage before Interpol and Kings of Leon. They had just released the 2nd album I think. They definitely played "Smokers..." anyway.

They came on stage to chants of "You're just a **** Interpol tribute band" and f*cking owned the set. Best thing I saw all weekend.

I've never been crazy about them on record, but they blew me away then. Would be interested to see if they are still the same.

They came on stage to chants of "You're just a **** Interpol tribute band" and f*cking owned the set

I really hated this comparison, while both post-punk revival outfits they were completely different.
    I've never been crazy about them on record

For what it's worth, Interpol were always better on record and Editors the more consistent live band. I've seen both a good few times now.
    , but they blew me away then. Would be interested to see if they are still the same.

Back in 2013 I thought their gig in the Olympia was one of the best I've ever been to. Last October was good but not the same experience. Tom's onstage performance was a bit OTT for me and they just skipped through the old material with minimal effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For a small festival it's a very, very decent lineup. Seen Bell X1 and Editors quite a few times and they always put on good shows, despite Editors steep decline in quality in the last 2 albums. Idlewild will be interesting to see as well, I never really got along with their more country type stuff but when they are good they are bloody fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Editors headline Rock Werchter in Belgium which is almost twice the size of Electric Picnic with a capacity of 80,000! Granted, that's because the Belgians go weak at the knees for them but I still think it's quite a coup for the Indiependence crew!

AdMMM wrote: »
    Editors headline Rock Werchter in Belgium which is almost twice the size of Electric Picnic with a capacity of 80,000! Granted, that's because the Belgians go weak at the knees for them but I still think it's quite a coup for the Indiependence crew!

I wanted to see them in the Olympia in October but I had a mates wedding that weekend so wasn't able to go.
    I looked at other tours dates and thought about a weekend away in Brussels, but tickets were sold out for their gig there in the 16,000+ capacity arena. They are huge over there.

cson wrote: »
    Coasts are worth checking out for anyone going.

I just looked them up. They draw comparisons to Foals and Phoenix. Nice one!

Wonder whatever happened to Cast of Cheers ...

Irish_rat wrote: »

Wonder whatever happened to Cast of Cheers ...

Don't think they're broken up but are on a long hiatus. I would love a second album from them.

The lead singer is in ALT VVINS (or however ya spell it) who are doing pretty decent for themselves. I kinda expect to see them added to the lineup later too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Does anyone know have they decided to pull the one day tickets? Went for the full festival last year but was only planning on 1 day this year 😡

Advertisement