Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is internet needed for PS4 Playroom?

Options
  • 01-12-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I've just bought a PS4 with a Playstation camera for my kids for Xmas, and I'm hoping I've done the right thing! You see I don't have unlimited data with my internet provider, so I really need to keep my kids off the internet. Ive got them minecraft and little big planet games to play on the ps4, and i bought the camera as I heard the playroom was fun for kids but i'm wondering now, do they have to be connected to the internet to use playroom as that might cause me a problem. As i'm sure you can tell, i know nothing about gaming so I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

What allowance have you on your package?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Playroom doesn't use data allowance by default but it may get a patch at some stage which would eat into your data.
    Be warned, the PS4 is built to be online most of the time. It will still work without a connection but a lot of games expect their to be a connection for patches (updates to the games code to fix bugs or add content) and OS updates (the PS4 itself has software running everything and this MAY get to a point where it will reject games if your OS is out of date).

I would recommend getting an upgrade if possible (or move to Eircom, I used to work there, they had zero abilities to stop you going over your limit :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭carr62

Thanks for the info. I will give eircom a call, but the last time i checked with them, about 5 years ago, I found out that my local exchange isn't even broadband enabled! I've got home broadband with 3 but that only gives me 60gb per month. Think I will keep the ps4 but look at changing my broadband supplier! Might not be the easiest thing though as I'm well out in the sticks......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be fair, 60GB a month SHOULD be ok as long as you are clever and police it's use.

No idea what the 3 penalty policy is though so don't know if I'd risk it :D I'd check eircom again though, a lot has happened in the last 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

60GB shoul be fine my usage works at about 30-40GB per month thats with a teenager using fifa /COD BOP3 for say 10-15hrs per week plus maybe 2 movies off netflix per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

carr62 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I will give eircom a call, but the last time i checked with them, about 5 years ago, I found out that my local exchange isn't even broadband enabled! I've got home broadband with 3 but that only gives me 60gb per month. Think I will keep the ps4 but look at changing my broadband supplier! Might not be the easiest thing though as I'm well out in the sticks......

Also in the sticks - there are options out there - many use Eircom's line so you'll hopefully see no drop in service (maybe voice), but many offer unlimited or fair use...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RedXIV wrote: »
    To be fair, 60GB a month SHOULD be ok as long as you are clever and police it's use.

No idea what the 3 penalty policy is though so don't know if I'd risk it :D I'd check eircom again though, a lot has happened in the last 5 years!

3 are fairly harsh on going over the allowance, be very careful.

Advertisement