Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovation / extension costs?

Options
  • 01-12-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Considering options.
    Can someone give me an estimate of the cost of the following renovations for a 3/4bed semi:

attic conversion for storage
    full attic conversion (with skylight)
    attic insulation only

average sized kitchen extension

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hunted wrote: »
    Considering options.
    Can someone give me an estimate of the cost of the following renovations for a 3/4bed semi:

attic conversion for storage
    full attic conversion (with skylight)
    attic insulation only

average sized kitchen extension

Thanks

Attic conversion for storage is just laying MDF boards and maybe a stira stairs or pull down stairs. €1k approx.

Full attic conversion for habitable/accessible use €15k-€25k depending on layout, access, location etc

Kitchen extension, budget €1500 per square meter and see if that frightens you out of doing it. If it doesn't then you should get a good standard of finish for that.

Will planning be required?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread moved from Accommodation & Property

You need to give people dimensions if you want the numbers to be meaningful. The understanding of 'average' can vary wildly.

Realise that if you have a 100m2 house that a bungalow has twice as much roof area to be insulated as a two-storey house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

We have a standard detached four bedroom house in Cork City. There is a garage attached and the current floor space is 1748 sq feet. We have looking at demolishing the garage and doing a wrap around extension (2 storey) at the side of the house and possibly around the back as well. It'd be a L spaced extension if you get me.

What sort of costs am I looking at in terms of builders finish? I'm happy to sort the kitchen units, tiling, painting etc out myself. But I just want to get an idea for the a price for the building, roofing, insultation, plastering, electrics etc.

I'm searching online but can't find much to go on. Never done something like this previously and don't want to get a firm of experts out until I know that I have enough finance to cover it. Can anyone advise or direct me to a site with such information please?

Much appreciated.

bailey99 wrote: »
    We have a standard detached four bedroom house in Cork City. There is a garage attached and the current floor space is 1748 sq feet. We have looking at demolishing the garage and doing a wrap around extension (2 storey) at the side of the house and possibly around the back as well. It'd be a L spaced extension if you get me.

What sort of costs am I looking at in terms of builders finish? I'm happy to sort the kitchen units, tiling, painting etc out myself. But I just want to get an idea for the a price for the building, roofing, insultation, plastering, electrics etc.

I'm searching online but can't find much to go on. Never done something like this previously and don't want to get a firm of experts out until I know that I have enough finance to cover it. Can anyone advise or direct me to a site with such information please?

Much appreciated.

Calculate at €1500 per square meter and see if that sounds financially viable to you.

Is that €1500 sq metre for the redesign of the existing house or the extension or both?

• Advertisement

bailey99 wrote: »
    Is that €1500 sq metre for the redesign of the existing house or the extension or both?

New works.
    Demolition works will add to this and making good existing services in existing house will also add to it

kceire wrote: »
    New works.
    Demolition works will add to this and making good existing services in existing house will also add to it

I contacted an architect for a chat and he quoted me approximately 200k for everything I wanted. The better the finish, the price would go up.

Advertisement