Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to convert the dining room into Bedroom

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Out of interest when you say permanent stairs does that include folding attic stairs?

No. Folding attic stairs would not constitute permanent access to the loft. BUT, if you had a folding attic stairs to a lift that was fully insulated, fully plumbed with rads, power points etc, then an argument could be made to force you put a suitable means of escape from that room and that would involve some sort of permanent stair case and the associated fire safety measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Attic conversion talk is off topic. Can we get back to the OP's issue if you have more to add to the thread please.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would ask the LL for a reduction in rent. You are losing communal space and the extra tenant in the house will create extra demands on shared facilities like the kitchen, bathroom etc. Also you may not be able to entertain in the living room at night as the tenant in the adjacent dining room will want a quiet night's sleep.

Sounds like bare faced greed on the part of the landlord.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Also you may not be able to entertain in the living room at night as the tenant in the adjacent dining room will want a quiet night's sleep.

There are a lot of issues I agree and I wouldn't want to be living with an extra person but the above I wouldn't worry about. The bedroom above the living room suffers more from noise than the one next too it. Remember downstairs rooms are separated by solid concrete block walls while the upstairs bedroom is just separated by some plasterboard and timber in an awful lot of houses.

Advertisement