Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade TT Bike or Invest in good Road Bike? How soon will aLL races go draft-legal!

Options
  • 01-12-2015 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I’m finding it very hard to decide on this debate & would appreciate the great advice from you knowledgeable boardsies :D

It’s time to sell on my TT bike and upgrade, ideally end this year…. But some would say that more and more AG races will become draft-legal and it would be more sensible investing in a very good road bike?

We know the Super Series is pretty much going to be all draft-legal next year…. But what about the rest.

If your focus is middle/long distance, yes a TT is almost necessary.

But if you still do a lot of sprint & Olympic, it’s a bigger debate as more and more AG races will become draft-legal from next year (?)

We know the Duathlon NC race (Mondello) this April is draft-legal for everyone. It could be a short matter of time before more races and AG triathlons become draft-legal too.

Does anyone have some insight on how much TI will bring in more draft-legal in the National Series in the next year or two?

I know there are various factors / limitations like race organizers trying to get closed roads, etc. But with the UK going down this route for AG races, it could be just a short matter of time. Maybe investing in a new TT now too could de-value quicker in a few years’ time. Can’t afford to upgrade TT bike AND a great road bike!

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The World and European sprint age group championships were announced as going draft legal before the start of last season. So probably will only be a matter of time before the Olympic ones go that way too.

Last year there was only 2 super series that were draft legal as well as 2 Mondello duathlons (neither were that well attended really). This season it says all super series races will be draft legal but they said that last year too and TI wouldn't be known for sticking to timetables.

We could see more and more races (non super series) going draft legal but it won't be next season and might start being introduced the season after, no one really knows.

How close are you to super series I suppose? If your in it, a new road bike might be good, but depends how 'bad' your existing road bike is I suppose. If your intention is more middle and long distance I don't think there is any plans for these to go draft legal so a TT bike will get more use. How 'bad' is your TT bike and how much time could you save by upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

TI: Lets do a draft legal triathlon, lets have it open to everyone

two weeks later

TI: I cannot believe the amount of people who got seriously injured in the race.

two weeks later

TI: I cannot believe the amount of cases being taken against us and the race organisers from all those crashes in the drafting races

two weeks later

TI: Lets just do non drafting races from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

lizanne83 wrote: »
    We know the Duathlon NC race (Mondello) this April is draft-legal for everyone.

Is this confirmed? Also, is it confirmed as standard distance 10/40/5?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

google is your friend to see how it works in other countries.

tunney wrote: »
    TI: Lets do a draft legal triathlon, lets have it open to everyone

two weeks later

TI: I cannot believe the amount of people who got seriously injured in the race.

two weeks later

TI: I cannot believe the amount of cases being taken against us and the race organisers from all those crashes in the drafting races

two weeks later

TI: Lets just do non drafting races from here on.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/S5_as_a_TT_bike_-_first_cut_P3761058

i think this is the future if you want to do both draft and no draft
    can be tt bike or road bike dpending what you want
    in your case and swim aboilty i would maybe go with tt bike.
    many tt bike have been made into orad bikes before the aero frame time.
    I’m finding it very hard to decide on this debate & would appreciate the great advice from you knowledgeable boardsies :D

It’s time to sell on my TT bike and upgrade, ideally end this year…. But some would say that more and more AG races will become draft-legal and it would be more sensible investing in a very good road bike?

We know the Super Series is pretty much going to be all draft-legal next year…. But what about the rest.

If your focus is middle/long distance, yes a TT is almost necessary.

But if you still do a lot of sprint & Olympic, it’s a bigger debate as more and more AG races will become draft-legal from next year (?)

We know the Duathlon NC race (Mondello) this April is draft-legal for everyone. It could be a short matter of time before more races and AG triathlons become draft-legal too.

Does anyone have some insight on how much TI will bring in more draft-legal in the National Series in the next year or two?

I know there are various factors / limitations like race organizers trying to get closed roads, etc. But with the UK going down this route for AG races, it could be just a short matter of time. Maybe investing in a new TT now too could de-value quicker in a few years’ time. Can’t afford to upgrade TT bike AND a great road bike!

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Thanks for the advice guys.

@ Notwich - yes it appears Modello is draft-legal for all, see full details here - end of page.

@Joey, I've the Felt B2 with Di2 DuraAce - nice bike but 2011/2012 model, could be much lighter with new di2. Yes, I was in Super Series this year but not sure if I'll continue with it next year or thereafter so it's not as clear-cut as going road bike for that reason. Road bike is a standard Giant avail for training only.

@Peter, thanks for that advice. Nice job your man did on the Cervelo S5. Would be amazing to get a super aero-frame road bike that can be flipped into TT bike with bars fairly easily!! Where can I get one of those without building it? :/ Working much harder on swim for nxt year ;)

@ Tunney.... indeed you're right.... that's why I'm not asking TI as we just can't rely on it ;-)

A hybrid that was the best of both worlds would be great if it was easy to find....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Thanks for the advice guys.

@ Notwich - yes it appears Modello is draft-legal for all, see full details here - end of page.

That's for 2015. Nothing about 2016 or the NC

viperlogic wrote: »
    That's for 2015. Nothing about 2016 or the NC

Ah yes that's 2015.... but defo read it somewhere that Mondello 2016 (NC) is fully draft-legal. Still not clarified on TI site though; serhaps it's not totally confirmed then :eek:
    .....Think I just need to take all these possibilities into consideration & try get a bike that can be easily switched betwen TT and road as my training bike is too heavy for racing. Thanks for all your feedback :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I thought argon had a road/tt kinda hybrid this year but I didn't investigate in case I did something silly like n+1

I use a cube aerium pro. Basically a TT bike with drops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

If duathlon NC draft legal then I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

If duathlon NC draft legal then I'm out

It would be a bit nuts to have a Duathlon Series of non drafting races with the finale and key points race being draft legal.....let's wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭tommy_tucker

your best bet would be a cube aerium pro with DI2, its geometry is half way between a road and tt bike and with the DI2 you'll have shifting on the tri bars when you attach them.

Just to add more to what peter said,

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=4571890;search_string=;#4571890

With Di2 you could unplug the shifters from the junction box and plug in the road shifters if you had them. So if you had 2 different sets of handlebars it might work, Only thing would be the cabling the brakes. Lot of aero road bikes out there now, Giant propel, Felt AR, Cervelo S5, Canyon Aeroad, Argon 18 Nitrogen. Not sure about the others but the Nitrogen has a reversible seatpost so you can alter the angle to get a more tri style geometry.

I think aerodynamics are more important than weight on a TT bike so I wouldn't be changing just for the weight savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

[quote=

@Joey, I've the Felt B2 with Di2 DuraAce - nice bike but 2011/2012 model, could be much lighter with new di2. Yes, I was in Super Series this year but not sure if I'll continue with it next year or thereafter so it's not as clear-cut as going road bike for that reason. Road bike is a standard Giant avail for training[/quote]

Can you just op out of Super series if you want?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Can you just op out of Super series if you want?

Depends on the club you are in.

Depends on the club you are in.

???

do we sign a live contract with a club ?

peter kern wrote: »
    ???

do we sign a live contract with a club ?

See that? That there flying over your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

I got the argon 18 nitrogen this year and got it set up with a 5 port Di2 so come tri season I'll be just changing bars to tt set up and pluging in shifters. I could however just add clip on bars to existing and stick the shifters in the end of them.

Also as mentioned before the 2 way post will bring me right into a tt position.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

Notwitch wrote: »
    It would be a bit nuts to have a Duathlon Series of non drafting races with the finale and key points race being draft legal.....let's wait and see.

I have heard from the organisers that the intention is to have the Duathlon national champs in Mondello a draft legal race and in their words (to prepare our athletes for draft legal competition) But correspondence is still taking place with TI as to what the distances will be.
    If the cycle is on the 3.3 km track mixed with the larger numbers than they've had in the past plus the possibility of a greater distance than its had in previous years then its going to be an interesting race to say the least.

TI need to thread carefully on this one as it could turn a lot of people off.

Just my opinion:(

• Advertisement

Moonfruit wrote: »
    I have heard from the organisers that the intention is to have the Duathlon national champs in Mondello a draft legal race and in their words (to prepare our athletes for draft legal competition) But correspondence is still taking place with TI as to what the distances will be.
    If the cycle is on the 3.3 km track mixed with the larger numbers than they've had in the past plus the possibility of a greater distance than its had in previous years then its going to be an interesting race to say the least.

TI need to thread carefully on this one as it could turn a lot of people off.

Just my opinion:(

If they do that then you would really have to question who is making decisions in there. To change the type of bike for a national champs on 4 months notice is a joke

See that? That there flying over your head?

How many do you think were named Cat1 but raced as an age grouper?

rooneyjm wrote: »
    If they do that then you would really have to question who is making decisions in there. To change the type of bike for a national champs on 4 months notice is a joke

i think the joke was the quality of the field and the bike choice of some coaches for their atheltes in 2015 it cant really get worse.

@rooneyjm - Can't see how opting out would be a problem. It's our decision what we want to race [surely] hopefully!

@splanagan and Joey, thanks for the hybrid suggestions. Have looked at Argon 18, could be a good option for quick change overs if needed.

@Moonfruit - to be honest I fully agree - I think it's madness & possible carniage that age-groupers are almost forced to go down draft-legal route. It should be kept for Super Series (e.g. those who choose to get such experience) and/or have that experience. Many people (Inc. Brian Keane) have said that they prefer the draft-iLLegal format; for many reasons. It's great that we now have the option to go draft legal (go into thesuper series if experienced enough) but it's not fair to force it into AG racing for everyone.

Can't see it happening for many races, too much risks and organisation, but if they're going to be throwing them in here and there, more & more (e.g. the national champs for duathlon series nxt year) to fall inline with other countries, then it's still a bit of a spanner in the works with regards to bike choices. It's not very fair really. But on flip side maybe some age-groupers would love the chance to try draft-legal if they can't do Super Series (both angles)

@ roonetjm, the answer to your last one is - A LOT of cat1's raced as AG this year :mad: Very few female raced Cat1, some stayed AG (but should have been Cat1 some would think)!!! :confused:

@splanagan22, how do you find changing the brakes from road handlebars to TT handlebars?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

joey100 wrote: »
    @splanagan22, how do you find changing the brakes from road handlebars to TT handlebars?

To be honest haven't done it yet cos got the bike at end of season. That was a question I had too but the shop have it sussed and I'll be bringing it back for the first change over. They set them up for a few lads coming into tri season

Just got word from TI re Duathlon NC..... """Duathlon NC will be a standard distance and will be draft legal. The event organiser will be publishing details on the event shortly"""

Thanks @viperlogic So it's confirmed - if ANYbody wants to compete in the regular Duathlon National Series nxt year, they'll need to race draft-legal on a road bike for national champs..... Despite *most* people's road bikes being used as their heavy work-horse for training purposes only (keeping the TT race bike for the good stuff). Should be intersting :pac:

Be interesting to see TI's interpretation of the daft legal rules, eg draft legal aero bars and aero helmets etc

• Advertisement

@rooneyjm - Can't see how opting out would be a problem. It's our decision what we want to race [surely] hopefully!

@ roonetjm, the answer to your last one is - A LOT of cat1's raced as AG this year :mad: Very few female raced Cat1, some stayed AG (but should have been Cat1 some would think)!!! :confused:

I will be opting out which is a pity because i wanted to give it a good lash this year. Its not a matter of throwing the dolly out of the pram but my road bike is for spins and commuting and I'm not buying a new jazzy bike.

I dont know where to start with the second one.

Advertisement