Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone upgrade

Options
  • 01-12-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm eligible to upgrade to an iPhone 6 for €30, but I want to give it away as a Christmas present. Problem is, I'm Vodafone and she's Meteor. Is there a way around this? Like, will it work with her sim or does it have to be unlocked or whatever?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Bump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It will have to be unlocked by Vodafone.

Cheers. Is there a fee for getting it unlocked?

No, but they wont unlock it unless you're out of contract. So I'm afraid she'll have to switch network, or you'll have to buy the phone outright.

What about those African shops around town? I've seen 'phone unlocking' on windows in Moore St and whatnot, and never fully knew it meant. Would they do it, or is it just something that can't ever be done?

• Advertisement

Phone unlocking and iPhone unlocking are 2 different things. The phone is locked to the network, apple wont release it unless VF tell them to. When you submit a request to VF, they'll pass the request to apple. You'll then get a text from Apple a day or so later to tell you it's been unlocked and to connect to iTunes to verify it. However, VF wont pass the request to apple unless you're out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Vodafone unlocked my iPhone while I was still in contract so might be worth trying it the official way. I didn't have to pay anything either - you're allowed up to three unlocks a year AFAIK.

Aeternum wrote: »
    Vodafone unlocked my iPhone while I was still in contract so might be worth trying it the official way. I didn't have to pay anything either - you're allowed up to three unlocks a year AFAIK.

Literally just after you bought the phone though?

@Hammer89 It might be worth asking in the VF forum.

Was going to, and live chat on the website, but I got paranoid they'd cancel the upgrade if they found out I was trying to swindle them basically.

I'll just get my fake nose and glasses out and visit a shop. Cheers.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Was going to, and live chat on the website, but I got paranoid they'd cancel the upgrade if they found out I was trying to swindle them basically.

I'll just get my fake nose and glasses out and visit a shop. Cheers.
    A shop wont unlock it, only customer care will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Smash you really should research before answering things. Vodafone will unlock it straight away, I done this in March this year. Also lots of shops/online retailers can request an unlock for iPhones on various networks. Three is the only one there seems to be any difficulty with.

guil wrote: »
    Smash you really should research before answering things. Vodafone will unlock it straight away, I done this in March this year.

Well jeez, you getting special treatment? I e had phones unlocked in the past, I've also been told in the past try couldn't unlock because I was still in contract. I also told him to ask on the VF forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

I'm due an upgrade in December can anybody tell me if I can get the new iPhone before then.

All the best

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

doyler55 wrote: »
    I'm due an upgrade in December can anybody tell me if I can get the new iPhone before then.

All the best

Yes, your network customer care can tell you over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

Thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You can also go to Vodafone online (log in or create your account there) and that will tell you if you're due an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Dades wrote: »
    You can also go to Vodafone online (log in or create your account there) and that will tell you if you're due an upgrade.

Even if that says no you might still be eligible. Vodafone do this anytime upgrade which allows you to upgrade anytime after three months into your contract at a higher price.

Advertisement