Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deliveries to old address

Options
  • 01-12-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi guys apologies if this has been posted many times. We moved out of a rented house approx 3 months ago but I know there are a couple of deliveries gone to the old house in error. Would it be fine to call round to the house with identification to collect some old post and apologise to the new tenants for any inconvenience? There is a friend of ours living a few doors down I can ask them to drop any that come in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Some people can be funny about you calling in, but then again some people can be funny.
    Most wouldn't have a problem with it. It's normal enough, but they may well have returned them or thrown them out (technically they should not have done this but some people..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I called into an old house I used to live in.

HAd no problem from the person living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Should be no problem, but only as a temporary thing.

When we first bought our current home, the people here before us (renters) called in for post. It was no problem for us.

It got annoying when it was kept going on for almost a year and correspondence from the same places - professional subscriptions for example - were still coming to our house. They just never bothered updating their contact details or were too cheap to pay for An Post redirection. Eventually we just started returning everything to the senders.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Thanks guys. I know it's only 2 things, the rest I had redirected to the parents until the house we are buying is ready to move in. I'll give ita shot and call round, definitely don't want to inconvenience them by having stuff constantly going there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found same, old owners etc had same mail arriving so just started returning to sender. Needless to say nothing else arrives...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MDwyer

i wouldnt think it any trouble really. as long as you dont make it a habit and try to get the addresses corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

When I moved I used An Post redirect for a year. It was worth the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

When I moved I used An Post redirect for a year. It was worth the expense.

if it worked it would be great but unfortunately an post are terrible at this. We used it however half our mail still went to the old place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

if it worked it would be great but unfortunately an post are terrible at this. We used it however half our mail still went to the old place.

Really? I must have gotten lucky so because it worked a treat for me- even silly promotional material from various make up brands etc made their way to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I had the same experience

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I moved in to my place, the previous owner dropped a letter in to me with a big stamped addressed envelope on it for her new place, asking if there was any mail that arrived over the first fortnight, could we stick it in the envelope and throw it in the post. Worked out fairly handy cos a slew of stuff came in so instead of having to return it all to sender, we just bunged it in the giant envelope. Once we'd sent the envelope off, there were only one or two more things that came, so we forwarded them. Obviously by then the senders had updated her contact details, and we didn't get anything else, bar an annual begging letter from some charity, that we're still getting 9 years later, despite returning it to sender every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 on that mail forwarding thing being very poorly done by an post, and expensive enough for the service. Most of our post ended up lost. And after the year ended, for some reason all our post started being redirected the wrong way! Our post from our new house started going to our old house.

Advertisement