Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi with car seats - Dublin

• 01-12-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm going to the UK on Friday with my little girl and want to take a taxi to the airport and my husband will pick us up on Sunday when we return.
    I've called one taxi firm this morning and they said that they don't do car seats and are exempt from needing them. They're happy to take me and my daughter to the airport but I have to just hold her in my arms. I'm not really comfortable with doing that.
    I went online to see if there were other firms that provide seats and one I came across does but it would be €47.50 which is extortionate I think. After all I'm only going from Lucan to the airport.

Does anyone know of any firms that provide car seats but don't charge an arm and a leg or do I just have to take a chance and hold her in my arms?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

There's one called childfriendlytaxi.ie. Haven't used them but had booked before and it was reasonable from what I remember. Ended up needed to cancel so can't say if it's good service.

Please don't take the chance.

The might be exempt - but that doesn't make it safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Please don't take the chance.

The might be exempt - but that doesn't make it safe.

I'm not going to. I think its quite peculair that they are exempt. Fair enough if they don't want to provide the seats thats their business but to be exempt is odd from a legal stand point I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 catkit

We've used childfriendlytaxis.ie, it wasn't that much dearer than a normal taxi and they were grand for picking up coming back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

We booked a taxi with Trinity Taxi last Saturday and they were able to provide the requested car seat. They even called on the Friday to confirm the booking and check what type of car seat was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I eventually got hold of Simon in Family Friendly Taxis and have booked him to take us to the airport on Friday morning. It will be €30 from Lucan to the airport which isn't a whole lot more than a regular taxi would cost.
    Out of interest I called a few other taxi firms while on my way to work this morning (blue tooth hands free so all safe and legal:)) and not one of them supplied a seat and said that as far as they knew no one would.
    It seems really odd to me how a taxi suddenly is safer than your own car:confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It seems really odd to me how a taxi suddenly is safer than your own car:confused:.

I guess it's not. But that the car seat is the responsibility of mum and dad not taxi company. Which makes me think I'd avoid taxis altogether if possible.
    Good you got sorted.

Advertisement