Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2016: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

^That would be Friday morning when the Jordan team had to pre-qualify for their first GP. Bertrand Gachot is the driver behind the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pre qualifying video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kEgPDn3ZA
    And full race
    http://www.dailymotion.com/ie/relevance/universal/search/USA+GP+1991/1

First race: Mika Häkkinen, Mark Blundell, Eric van de Poele, Pedro Chaves, Érik Comas
    Last points: Satoru Nakajima
    The Jordan and Modena teams made their first appearances here.
    Nicola Larini's 7th place finish was the best results for the Modena team.
    Ayrton Senna was the first driver to receive 10 points for a victory under the new scoring scheme, and the win was his 27th, tying Jackie Stewart for second all-time, behind his former team-mate Prost. The other points scorers were also assured of keeping their points, since they would no longer be limited to their best 11 finishes on the season.
    The race marked the end of 33 consecutive years of Formula One in the United States. There were no further grands prix in the US until the 2000 United States Grand Prix, held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
    The race was Nigel Mansell's first in his "Red 5" Williams since returning to the team after two years with Ferrari. He retired due to a gearbox problem.
    This was the last time that three previous world champions stood on a podium together until the 2010 Canadian Grand Prix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

New qualifying rules approved for Melbourne and published this morning. I'm just hoping that the last 2 cars on the track at the end of quali every week aren't silver.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-publishes-new-f1-elimination-qualifying-rules-678680/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Throw a red flag into the mix in one of the sessions and it all kicks off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It'll make qualifying worth staying awake for anyway.

I thought they said it would be delayed till Spain
    Will be interesting to see next week
    Might be some traffic complaints from a few drivers I'm guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

you can't not have a front wing though, right?
    That car would probably make a much better race though. It wouldn't be fast through the corners but it looks like it would be great for slipstreaming. No front wing means you don't lose any grip following a car in front. The back wing doesn't look like it would do much either so it's going to require a lot of skill to power out of corners without losing the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

cant see quali working, people will have to get their best lap in early in each session - Not always possible and then we will see 3 or 4 cars at each knockout deadline trying to complete a clean fast lap which no doubt will regularly get destroyed by other cars on track.
    Add into that yellow flags, rain, stoppages etc and you have a receipe for trouble.

Would be better to have an hour session, broken into four quarters. Drivers have to post a time in each quarter, and then an average time is taken which will determine their grid slot.

That would encourage action for the hour, and not unnecessarily penalise anyone or create false racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I so want to go to the USGP in Austin. Taylor Swift has been brought in to do a concert, might try and get tickets for that and if I do it will be my first GP since the 2001 GP in Indianapolis.
    That would be a perfect weekend...

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    I so want to go to the USGP in Austin. Taylor Swift has been brought in to do a concert, might try and get tickets for that and if I do it will be my first GP since the 2001 GP in Indianapolis.
    That would be a perfect weekend...

Ooh, Taylor Swift! :rolleyes:

Just joking. You go and enjoy it.

Ooh, Taylor Swift! :rolleyes:

Just joking. You go and enjoy it.

:pac:

I am near 80% convinced I will go, just want to keep the costs down. I will certainly do my best to enjoy myself if I go.
    Just buy tickets when they go on sale on April 6th, then I will have to...

I read an article by Adam Cooper and he says it was by adding Taylor Swift to the F1 weekend, that saved the GP, and that by paying her what is believed to be a record fee.

Last time I was at a GP, got a wave from Eddie Jordan who saw our Jordan caps, Jarno Trulli finished 4th for Jordan and it was the last race Mika Hakkinen won.

One week to go to the first race of the season :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

OSI wrote: »
    Tracking running order to be determined by a live streamed Mario Kart tournament with powers up controlled by the amount of tweets and snapchats each driver gets.

Rosberg praying that he can pick up a blue shell to use on Hamilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

mickdw wrote: »
    cant see quali working, people will have to get their best lap in early in each session - Not always possible and then we will see 3 or 4 cars at each knockout deadline trying to complete a clean fast lap which no doubt will regularly get destroyed by other cars on track.
    Add into that yellow flags, rain, stoppages etc and you have a receipe for trouble.

That is the point, they aren't trying to liven up qualifying, they are using this as a way to try to fix the races.

In their desperation to make the races less processional they reckon making quali more difficult to control will create mixed-up grids, if you can get cars with a 2 second/lap advntage starting behind slower cars then there will have to be overtaking, right?

Not for F1 silly ideas like increasing mechanical grip, tyres and fuel strategy that rewarded hard driving, promoting ground effect aero and cutting back front wings, that would lead to actual racing which would be far too boring for your 21st century F1 fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Vic_08 wrote:
    Not for F1 silly ideas like increasing mechanical grip, tyres and fuel strategy that rewarded hard driving, promoting ground effect aero and cutting back front wings, that would lead to actual racing which would be far too boring for your 21st century F1 fan.

Most people would prefer if they did increase mechanical grip at the expense of aero grip. But I've been wondering what that would actually look like.
    Vic_08 wrote:
    In their desperation to make the races less processional they reckon making quali more difficult to control will create mixed-up grids, if you can get cars with a 2 second/lap advntage starting behind slower cars then there will have to be overtaking, right?

Given the 'dirty air' problem we have and the trouble overtaking that results. Last year the drivers championship finished in team order. So the Mercedes we're first and second, ferrari third and fourth etc... all that way down the grid. So the cars speed did reliability dictated the ultimate standings in the championship.

You can't fault teams for making reliable and consistent cars

Now imagine if overtaking was easy. Once a faster car approaches a slower car, it would follow easily through the slow sections and get a great slipstream to overtake easily at the straight/breaking area. The cars would strategy into their ranking order even faster in each race. The fastest car at the front pulling away from the second fastest car which I'd pulling away from the third fastest car etc all the way down the grid.
    Vic_08 wrote:
    That is the point, they aren't trying to liven up qualifying, they are using this as a way to try to fix the races.

Maybe mixing them up in qualifying would be more interesting than watching frantic overtaking for 5 laps until order is established and pit stops begin which mixes it up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Qualifying was changed as the promotors/track owners wanted more action on Saturday to sell tickets. We will see if it makes now a good event even better. We will see more mixed starting line ups what will promote action on track. And during the qualifying segments also the faster cars will use the faster tyres earlier. So that Mercedes uses harder tyres and is getting through we won't see again, as this is imo too risky to be dropped or burn a set too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Rosberg praying that he can pick up a blue shell to use on Hamilton

You are assuming Hamilton is in first place which may not be the case. Rosberg only needs a red shell because he's usually right behind him :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'll wait and see how the new qualifying format pans out but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bogged down with appeals and stewards enquiries.

If the organisers wanted to see action throughout qualifying how about this for an idea. Keep the 3 qualifying sessions (or even add another one) and classify cars according to their average times.

i.e.,
    P 20-16 - Best Q1 time
    P 15-11 - Average of best Q1 + Q2
    P 10-06 - Average Q1 + Q2 + Q3
    P 05-01 - Average Q1 + Q2 + Q3 + Q4

Rewards consistently fast drivers and promotes action in every session instead of contriving to "mix" up the grid for the sake of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Don't forget there are two extra cars this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

And two extra races!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Technical director Mark Smith has left Sauber.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-technical-director-mark-smith-quits-team-679456/
    The Hinwil-based outfit said in a brief statement on Monday that Smith had decided to go back to the UK for family reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Paul DiResta named as Williams reserve.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Technical director Mark Smith has left Sauber.

That's bad news for Sauber to have their technical director leave just before the season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What time is the actual race on Sunday morning lads?
    I looked online and it says 5, But is that the lead up and the race start at 6 or is it starting at 5?
    Dont wannt get up too early as I wouldnt be to long gone into it :)

• Advertisement

Race is 5am.

Nearly more interested to see the qualifying carnage on the Sat at 6am.

5:00 is race start. if you use google calendar, (possible also on an apple calendar) you can import the F1 calendar with all the dates. Quali starts at 6:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cheers Lads.
    Wasn't too sure

I am going to the USGP in Austin. I put in my details on the circuit of the Americas website yesterday, got a call back today. Tickets for the three days, main grandstand and the Taylor Swift concert.
    It should be a great weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pfffttt.... Us Silverstone heads are getting a 90 minute set from Texas :rolleyes:

Robert is getting a 90 minutes set IN Texas.

• Advertisement

Pfffttt.... Us Silverstone heads are getting a 90 minute set from Texas :rolleyes:

Yeah there is a slight difference :P

Silverstone as a race is safe given how popular it is, Austin was on life support, and is only going ahead because they believe the Taylor Swift concert will have the grandstands full to capacity.

Hopefully no Pacific hurricane moves in with a lot of rain this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭christy c

I am going to the USGP in Austin. I put in my details on the circuit of the Americas website yesterday, got a call back today. Tickets for the three days, main grandstand and the Taylor Swift concert.
    It should be a great weekend.

How much did that set you back do you mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus, is that the best they could do. :p

With that said, what kind of fans are the Austin organisers trying to lure with Taylor Swift. That just does not compute!

*Pukes*

With that said, what kind of fans are the Austin organisers trying to lure with Taylor Swift. That just does not compute!

They should have someone like RUSH or Van Halen or some metal like Megadeth.

christy c wrote: »
    How much did that set you back do you mind me asking?

Main grandstand lower section for the three days plus concert $675.
    http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-f1-usgp/tickets
    General admission for the three days plus concert is great value at $150.

I wanted shade as it should be hot and sunny, and if it rains it won't be so bad, and I like to see the pitlane action.

People like me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Main grandstand lower section for the three days plus concert $675.
    http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/2016-f1-usgp/tickets
    General admission for the three days plus concert is great value at $150.

I wanted shade as it should be hot and sunny, and if it rains it won't be so bad, and I like to see the pitlane action.

I think it's a good idea, it'll attract a lot of younger people that wouldn't normally go to a GP and possibly get them hooked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

guyfo wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea, it'll attract a lot of younger people that wouldn't normally go to a GP and possibly get them hooked!

Indeed, they'll be blown away by the support races

guyfo wrote: »

They'll love watching the tyre saving tactics!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

What do ye think of this halo alternative lads? I think it's the best so far.

f1-giorgio-piola-technical-analysis-2016-red-bull-halo-concept.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Oh ****, I forgot you were in the room!! :p

• Advertisement

looks unaerodynamic, looking at the angle id say it would divert air up away from the air intake which mightn't be so good

Nice, though I'm not sure a full on screen would work well in practice with oil, rubber, & debris sticking to it. It could end up causing more problems than its solving

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

looks unaerodynamic, looking at the angle id say it would divert air up away from the air intake which mightn't be so good

The cars need an almost total redesign anyway IMO and even without that I'm sure there will be solutions.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Nice, though I'm not sure a full on screen would work well in practice with oil, rubber, & debris sticking to it. It could end up causing more problems than its solving

I believe NASCAR, Prototypes, and some GTs use a bigger version of the tear off strips we see already on drivers helmets applied to the windscreens to solve that. Which is wasteful of course but let's stop pretending F1 is eco conscious.

I believe NASCAR, Prototypes, and some GTs use a bigger version of the tear off strips we see already on drivers helmets applied to the windscreens to solve that. Which is wasteful of course but let's stop pretending F1 is eco conscious.

Hard to imagine how that can work when there's only one or two pitstops for an entire race (assuming it's the pit crew that removes it?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Very little difference to what was tested recently.

Just the addition of a screen really.

I just watched the start of the 2002 Australian GP where Ralf Schumacher went flying:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I just watched the start of the 2002 Australian GP where Ralf Schumacher went flying:

I see that the safety car was a Merc SL, but was that 5 Series the medical car?

Was a marshal killed from flying debris from this crash? Have a vague recollection of that happening at an Aus GP.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »

Can nearly picture a Jordan car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement