Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2016: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Was a marshal killed from flying debris from this crash? Have a vague recollection of that happening at an Aus GP.

That was 2001 when Villeneuve ran into the back of Ralf:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Can nearly picture a Jordan car.

I was about to say the same thing. Looks slick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

On watching the F1 report Natalie pinkman preggers again...looks like she'll not be a, flying anywhere, b, maternity leave yet again during the season...like, she's milking it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Poor planning, should be having all her kids around Xmas time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Exactly...
    Rachael Brookes must be rubbing her hands for the more prominent role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

That Renault looks great. Simple and effective, and a good shade of yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Nice looking colour on the car, better than blue and yellow would have been. Body work up over the engine looks very curvy

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lap82

Finally F1 is back! Couldn't wait for its return. Hope this time Nico can finally kick Hamilton and get the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35819317

Sometimes Hamilton just doesn't have a clue. He's too much into himself these days to know what's right and what's wrong. Like a five year not thinking of the consequences.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

astrofluff wrote: »

Sometimes Hamilton just doesn't have a clue. He's too much into himself these days to know what's right and what's wrong. Like a five year not thinking of the consequences.

I can't stand the man but id rather that than coverage of his latest fashion disaster etc.
    seems like a non story to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'm quite surprised tbh. I thought he usually had at least one personal photographer or videographer follow him around at all times to do this kind of stuff. The man's narcissism knows no bounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You'd think Rosberg could wipe the floor with him by just spending more time at the factory, talking to engineers, looking at numbers and running the simulator while Hamilton is out partying.
    But, no.

OSI wrote: »
    Nico on a Monday morning: "It was an OK weekend I guess, little disappointing. Team did well. I'm going to spend some time with my wife."

Ah alas, the married life - Hamilton has it sooo right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That yellow, its like seeing a Jordan on the grid again. They have my support for that alone!

CdqErJ_WEAAvMMM.jpg

Also, I LOL'd.

CdqEDAYW8AAFBYf.jpg

aaron-paul-brian-cranston-hazmat-suits.jpg

The biggest crime there has to be them glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Gintonious wrote: »
    That yellow, its like seeing a Jordan on the grid again. They have my support for that alone!

CdqErJ_WEAAvMMM.jpg

Wow, that's a lovely finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That is pretty damn sexy!

5516_534146263432420_2326270109976026385_n.jpg?oh=9401ab9352f209cc8d0bcc763a32c173&oe=574CB5BF&__gda__=1468928956_1c2dfdd1b7ceaaffe8025e01ff487c40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Looks very nice indeed. I'd say the night races will make it look even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I predict Hamilton meltdown several times this season as he gets frustrated his engineer isn't allowed to give him all the info he might want over the radio due to new rules.

• Advertisement

aphex™ wrote: »
    I predict Hamilton meltdown several times this season as he gets frustrated his engineer isn't allowed to give him all the info he might want over the radio due to new rules.

It was actually he who emerged the stronger of the two when they started this radio thingy last season, so don't underestimate his ability to outperform the 'smarter of the two'. I do feel we'll see meltdowns though, because I think Nico is kicking this season off in a very, very good place given how he finished last season. They both need to fight their battles on a Saturday in reality, though this new quali format could mix things up yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Tippex

25 years ago today the real 191 made its debut in Phoenix.

12821632_975910222446201_4416909049708038501_n.jpg?oh=d50d1896c0c44ff00f6f568c336afc51&oe=578E1E23&__gda__=1465685537_526cb7133fa47194b11a0b0dfdb60351

every time i see that photo I get a lump in my throat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Myrddin wrote: »
    It was actually he who emerged the stronger of the two when they started this radio thingy last season, so don't underestimate his ability to outperform the 'smarter of the two'. I do feel we'll see meltdowns though, because I think Nico is kicking this season off in a very, very good place given how he finished last season. They both need to fight their battles on a Saturday in reality, though this new quali format could mix things up yet.

I could be wrong but I honestly think Rosberg was to win those last races for one reason and one reason only.
    To Keep Vettel and Ferrari behind them as far as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

vectra wrote:
    I could be wrong but I honestly think Rosberg was to win those last races for one reason and one reason only. To Keep Vettel and Ferrari behind them as far as possible.

Do you think so? They had won the driver's and constructor's champions. Do you think they caused Rosberg to win with or without Hamilton and Rosberg's help? Either way it's a major conspiracy which would have huge consequences if exposed. Why jeopardise it all for 2nd place in the championship?

Do you think so? They had won the driver's and constructor's champions. Do you think they caused Rosberg to win with or without Hamilton and Rosberg's help? Either way it's a major conspiracy which would have huge consequences if exposed. Why jeopardise it all for 2nd place in the championship?

Hamilton had rosberg beat fair and square right up to when he clinched the drivers title. Do you not think he could have continued to beat him? Suddenly Rosberg comes alive??
    That would be similar to saying just because Kimi puts in fastest laps during a race that he could have beat Vettel hands down.

Not likely.

vectra wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I honestly think Rosberg was to win those last races for one reason and one reason only.

It was all sewn up by then though. Nico had the measure of Lewis on the Saturdays toward the end of the season, sometimes by a margin so small that t makes any conspiracy theory null & void. Once ahead of Lewis, he was able to hold on. Its more likely the tire pressure thing could have made that difference, as opposed to some secret agreement.

It was all sewn up by then though. Nico had the measure of Lewis on the Saturdays toward the end of the season, sometimes by a margin so small that t makes any conspiracy theory null & void. Once ahead of Lewis, he was able to hold on. Its more likely the tire pressure thing could have made that difference, as opposed to some secret agreement.

I'm not buying it.

I'm not buying it.

A conspiracy in these circumstances makes zero sense though, both titles had already been won :confused:

I think you are.

What difference would it have made if Rosberg was to win over Hamilton? Both titles were wrapped up, Ferrari werent really a challenge at the end of the season either, or at all last season. There was also the change in pressures with the tyres as well, which played into Rosbergs style more as well.

No conspiracy, just wishful thinking.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    Not likely.

'Not likely' doesn't make it a conspiricy. What exactly do you think happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

That is pretty damn sexy!

5516_534146263432420_2326270109976026385_n.jpg?oh=9401ab9352f209cc8d0bcc763a32c173&oe=574CB5BF&__gda__=1468928956_1c2dfdd1b7ceaaffe8025e01ff487c40
    Reminds me of the Benson & Hedges Jordans :)

Here' my conspiracy:

Could Merc have maximised Rosberg's results towards the end of last season by gifting him the better race finishes over Hamilton?

For example, if Rosberg had a DNF towards the end of the season in the last 3 races (and it was nicely wrapped up for Hamilton with 3 races to go), and by Merc loving their 1-2 finishes didn't want to jeopardise the Driver's title 1-2 with any DNFs on Rosbergs part, so ensured better finishes in order to beat Vettle?!

Here' my conspiracy:

Could Merc have maximised Rosberg's results towards the end of last season by gifting him the better race finishes over Hamilton?

For example, if Rosberg had a DNF towards the end of the season in the last 3 races (and it was nicely wrapped up for Hamilton with 3 races to go), and by Merc loving their 1-2 finishes didn't want to jeopardise the Driver's title 1-2 with any DNFs on Rosbergs part, so ensured better finishes in order to beat Vettle?!

Why exactly would they do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I reckon its just a mixture of the tyre pressure thing suiting Rosberg, pundits mentioned it so I'll go with it, and Hamilton not giving a fúck any more 'cause he won the championship.

I reckon few believe but many hope it's that Rosberg finally found his mojo and can take the battle Ham this year. I'm one but I wouldn't bet any money on it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon its just a mixture of the tyre pressure thing suiting Rosberg, pundits mentioned it so I'll go with it, and Hamilton not giving a fúck any more 'cause he won the championship.

I reckon few believe but many hope it's that Rosberg finally found his mojo and can take the battle Ham this year. I'm one but I wouldn't bet any money on it. :)
    He said in an interview in the summer that he didn't put the same effort in, or pressure on himself, after he secured the title.

Hopefully (for me, as I am a fan) he is on form again from the start of this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I think at least one Toro Rosso driver will visit the podium this year.

Well,
    If I were a team owner and had wrapped up both titles with a few races to go, I would certainly like to have both my drives finish the season 1 - 2 rather than 1 - 3 ,

Well,
    If I were a team owner and had wrapped up both titles with a few races to go, I would certainly like to have both my drives finish the season 1 - 2 rather than 1 - 3 ,

Of course, but you have proof that Merc deliberately preferred Rosberg, over the driver that just gave them the championship? Or is it just a conspiracy based off nothing?

vectra wrote:
    Well, If I were a team owner and had wrapped up both titles with a few races to go, I would certainly like to have both my drives finish the season 1 - 2 rather than 1 - 3 ,

Would you cheat and if caught, risk both championships that you had won, lose your investment by having to withdraw from the sport, and jeopardise the reputation you have spent a lot of money building in the last 6 years as a constructor and decades as an engine manufacturer? All in the name of ensuring 2nd place which they were odds on to take anyway. Does that really sound likely to anyone?

That's a big gamble. Since you're basing it on nothing, I'll consider it to be complete rubbish. There is a conspiricy theory forum you know. You can say anything you like over there and nobody will challenge you or ask you for evidence

Ye are digging too deep lads.
    Am I the only one in the world that saw how obvious it looked?
    Immediately after Hamilton that really and truly was in a class of his own all season suddenly gets hammered by his team mate?

That does not just happen in real life.

• Advertisement

Ye are digging too deep lads.
    Am I the only one in the world that saw how obvious it looked?
    Immediately after Hamilton that really and truly was in a class of his own all season suddenly gets hammered by his team mate?

He wasn't hammered by his team mate, Nico was able to pip him to pole on Saturdays, sometimes by fractional amounts. This was likely due to the tire pressure changes. Once behind then, on many tracks in damn near impossible to pass the Merc, even in a Merc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Time for the first race thread of the year me thinks...

vectra wrote:
    Ye are digging too deep lads. Am I the only one in the world that saw how obvious it looked? Immediately after Hamilton that really and truly was in a class of his own all season suddenly gets hammered by his team mate?

Things changed after Hamilton won the championship, don't dig too deep and it's all too obvious.

This isn't even a conspiracy theory. It's a half baked version of the underpants gnomes scheme.

He wasn't hammered by his team mate, Nico was able to pip him to pole on Saturdays, sometimes by fractional amounts. This was likely due to the tire pressure changes. Once behind then, on many tracks in damn near impossible to pass the Merc, even in a Merc

Fair enough.
    But in my belief these guys can judge their laptimes to withing a thousand of a second without being obvious about it.

But anyway.
    This is my view and I frimly believe it.

Roll on tomorrow :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I said it yesterday but having seen the full livery on that Renault, it might be the best looking car I've seen in a long time.

Will the performances match the aesthetics? I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In the mercedes case, given 2 drivers that can repeatedly get down to a few 1/1000s of a second of each other, a believe tyre pressure alterations could be enough to swing results by a half a tenth either way.
    Do I believe hamilton will get beaten overall this year - possibly. It's Rosbergs best chance but if hamilton starts out with 3 straight wins this year, his chance will be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

That_Guy wrote: »
    I said it yesterday but having seen the full livery on that Renault, it might be the best looking car I've seen in a long time.

Will the performances match the aesthetics? I hope so.

I doubt it as they themselves claim their factory is outdated and they will need some seasons to get back at top. Also their engine is behind and in testing they didn't shine.

Aston Martin team up with Red Bull then, didn't see that coming.

Yeah can't see Renault having an easy time of it myself. In fact, I think teams like Manor (now that they have a Mercedes donkey in the back of the car) will be knocking on their door, if not beating them. Red Bull will still be the team that'll get the most outta the RB PU. I think in two or three seasons though, Renault will become a strong force in the sport again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Yes RB/Aston Martin that's a surprise, wonder what their plan for the long term is. Will they develop their own engine as re-branded Mercedes seems offlimit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement