Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty laptop, just over a year old

Options
  • 01-12-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I purchased a laptop in November 2014. This summer I noticed a scrape on the screen, and it appears to be coming from the space bar, scratching it when it is closed.

Now, I have noticed an extremely bad flicker when I touch the screen. As I bought it a year ago, am I screwed and cant used a receipt?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Do you have proof the issue started before the warranty ran out?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Whether you bought the goods in a shop or online, under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum two-year guarantee period at no cost.

This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees/index_en.htm

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Warranties are in addition to your statutory rights. Contact the seller in the first instance and see what they say. A product is expected to have a reasonable problem free lifespan. Not precisely 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The two-year guarantee period starts as soon as you receive your goods. In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.

The same source as above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

In some EU countries you must inform the seller of the fault within two months of discovering it otherwise you may lose your right to the guarantee.
    Plenty of space for argument here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Also note that if the pressure came from above, for example in a laptop bag etc with something pushing against the lid of the computer, then it wouldn't be a manufacturing fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Contact the vendor first. If you get no joy then go to sonsumer rights and see what they say. If there is a clear fault that has been there since manufacturing then you should have plenty of clout to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wizard! wrote: »

Not transcribed to Irish law as ours was deemed superior

If you can prove to a reasonable level that it is a manufacturing fault you have 6 years to take a case via the courts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Wow, exactly the same problem as I have and the seller has told me today the warranty is out and to contact the manufacturer to see if they can assist. No disrespect to advisers here but does forcing the point get a result?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wow, exactly the same problem as I have and the seller has told me today the warranty is out and to contact the manufacturer to see if they can assist. No disrespect to advisers here but does forcing the point get a result?
    Its the seller who is responsible, not the manufacturer. The small claims court is usually the next step if you can't get sorted.

• Advertisement

What make are these laptops? Seems you might have a bad batch there.

It's a Samsung tablet with detatchable keyboard. It has started to flicker and pages 'ghost' over eachother. Got it from laptopsdirect.co.uk

It's a Samsung tablet with detatchable keyboard. It has started to flicker and pages 'ghost' over eachother. Got it from laptopsdirect.co.uk
    Have you been in contact with them about the issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Pter wrote: »
    Do you have proof the issue started before the warranty ran out?
    Statutory rights from the Sale of Goods Act offer better protection than the manufacturer warranty
    Wizard! wrote: »
    THis was not brought in for Ireland as the Sale of Goods Act offers up to 6 years of protection to consumers.
    MarkR wrote: »
    Also note that if the pressure came from above, for example in a laptop bag etc with something pushing against the lid of the computer, then it wouldn't be a manufacturing fault.
    It would be covered by the Sale of Goods Act as it means that the item was not "reasonably durable" and "not fit for purpose" if carrying it in a laptop bag causes such damage.

seanaway wrote: »
    Have you been in contact with them about the issues?

Thank you for your emessage.
    We are incredibly sorry for the issues you are having and for any inconvenience this has caused.
    Your item is currently out of warranty, however we would recommend speaking with Samsung for technical suppose which should hopefully resolve the issues you are having, they may also be able to offer a chargeable repair on the item if this needs looking at. you can contact Samsung on 0330 726 7864.
    If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is the keyboard made by samsung?

Thank you for your emessage.
    We are incredibly sorry for the issues you are having and for any inconvenience this has caused.
    Your item is currently out of warranty, however we would recommend speaking with Samsung for technical suppose which should hopefully resolve the issues you are having, they may also be able to offer a chargeable repair on the item if this needs looking at. you can contact Samsung on 0330 726 7864.
    If you require any further information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Kind Regards

Contact them. Say you believe your laptop has a fault which was there when manufactured. If it is the case then you are still covered by consumer law.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So it's a tablet now? Like above, is the keyboard also made by samsung?

MarkR wrote: »
    So it's a tablet now? Like above, is the keyboard also made by samsung?

Apologies, to me it's a laptop, as I rarely detach the key board. Yes it is a Samsung ATIV Smart Tablet/ Keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

If thats the case then I reckon you have a case. Im a firm believer of arming myself before attacking. Not for everyone, but I would always get in touch with the manufacturer and get a case number from them. When they say the fault is with the retailer then you have your dodgy product, your consumer rights and the manufacturer all saying this needs to be sorted by the retailer. Then it gives them little room for excuses.

Problem with buying from a website, especially a foreign one is you cant talk face to face with a manager. If you ring and demand a manger you could be put onto the sales rep sitting next to the person there. You can save a few bob but Ive had enough experience with electrical items that if its €100+ i buy bricks and mortar

• Advertisement
Advertisement