Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ParkMagic and wardens

• 01-12-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭

I just started using ParkMagic on my phone for parking around the city.

Very convenient but I just wondered if traffic wardens always check before writing a parking ticket as there is no longer a requirement to display any tags when parking within the city.

Has anyone ever got a parking fine issued while using ParkMagic?
    Just wondering if it's completely foolproof?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I'd imagine when they enter your reg in their handheld PDA it would know if your park magic is active and therefore not issue a ticket...
    I use park magic...it's great but I didn't know you no longer needed the screen tags?
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

being using parkmagic since it first came out, never once got a ticket. would regularly see the traffic wardens checking the car reg on their hand units before either walking off or writing a ticket. Its obviously not completely foolproof (is anything) but at least you would have proof on your phone that you had phoned in the parking.

I was always under the impression that they scanned the barcode on your windscreen to see if you had an active payment,,,i guess typing in the reg would tell them the same.

I just logged into my parkmagic account there and if you look under "transactions" it will tell you exactly the times you paid for parking so if there was ever a problem you could present that info...
    I doubt its likely you'd ever need to go there though as all there systems must be linked up.
    Marty

Actually...quote from their FAQS

If you do receive a ticket and have paid for your parking session, then you should appeal the ticket to the parking authority stating the date and time of payment (available online). You should also contact us and we will send a confirmation of authenticity to the parking authority.

Just found this on their FAQS aswell...answers my own question re needing the sticker...

ParkMagic customers wishing to park in Ennis(All on street zones) and Limerick(Steamboat Quay only), are required to have a ParkMagic decal windscreen sticker.
    ParkMagic is happy to announce that for the exception of those parking areas, customers wishing to park their vehicle, will no longer need a ParkMagic decal windscreen sticker.
    In Parking areas that do not require windscreen decals, the warden will check the parked users vehicle reg on their handheld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Why Limerick haven't just used the parking ticket machines you see in Ennis and possibly every other town and city in Ireland is beyond me instead of the old fashioned disks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I would consider ParkMagic a far far better solution than maintaining parking ticket machines. It is so convenient to just walk away for the car and pay as you are going. Parking machines are an eyesore, a hazard and inconvenient.

Nobody who parks in Limerick with any regularity should still be using discs. Parkmagic is easy to sign up to and so easy to use, just making a phone call if you are not technical or use the app. I love the way you can pay for 15 mins/30 mins if you are just popping in too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

i signed up for this a few months ago and never got the windscreen sticker , are they no longer issuing them ?

BrendanD wrote: »
    i signed up for this a few months ago and never got the windscreen sticker , are they no longer issuing them ?

They should, drop them a mail/reminder with your car reg...i got a replacement off them when i had a windscreen replaced no problem.
    In anycase assuming your in limerick you dont need one unless you plan in parking in steamboat Quay.

Actually on the subject of parking i read in the limerick post that street parking is free from tomorrow the 3rd until december the 24th after 3:00Pm (also applies in NCW/kilmallock/abbeyfeale)

See front page of limerick post here......

http://www.limerickpost.ie/digital-edition/

Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why Limerick haven't just used the parking ticket machines you see in Ennis and possibly every other town and city in Ireland is beyond me instead of the old fashioned disks

The machines have additional costs in requiring power, maintenance, coin collection, etc.

phog wrote: »
    The machines have additional costs in requiring power, maintenance, coin collection, etc.

I totally agree with you...however unbelievably in the same article i referenced earlier(front page of post) there is a mention of "limerick to get on street parking meters in 2016"
    Talk about backwards...do these people not realise we have progressed at all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

wingnut wrote: »
    Parking machines are an eyesore, a hazard and inconvenient.

Explain your incredible claim that a parking ticket machine is a hazard? To who? A toddler making a break for the road?

Or how parking ticket machines, which are ubiquitous globally as quick providers of paid parking, are inconvenient for any visitor to the city who does not know about Parkmagic or the extremely inconvenient parking discs?

As far as most people are concerned parking ticket machines should've been installed instead of the farcical parking disc fiasco we have had to put up with for decades. They are still necessary for any national or international visitor, unless you have a better solution?

Even regarding your opinion that they are an eyesore, I completely disagree, since they are urban appliances in an urban environment. We are not talking about a UNESCO protected city-scape, or anything coming anywhere close.
    wingnut wrote: »
    Nobody who parks in Limerick with any regularity should still be using discs. Parkmagic is easy to sign up to and so easy to use...

Agreed, there should be parking ticket machines for those who are not aware of Parkmagic and those who are not from the local area.

Advertisement