Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dinghys ????

Options
  • 01-12-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of purchasing a blow up dinghy ..cant afford a boat and a trailer, does anyone every use one and how do they fair out with them?? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Im thinking of purchasing a blow up dinghy ..cant afford a boat and a trailer, does anyone every use one and how do they fair out with them?? thanks

Recent thread here about float tubes which could be worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

should be grand if you know what you are doing, and get a decent one. I see a few advertised on done deal, and they appear to be death traps, say they can hold 4 people.... I wouldn't put the dog in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

ye i seen them myself, i think you're right!!.. my uncle was out on a boat on clare, he told me they were 3 miles out from the coast fishing and they came across two polish fishing in one, talk about risking ur life he couldn't believe it. If he comes across them again ill ask him to get the name of the dinghy..haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

They can be useful.

I have a 2.6 meter WavEco that I have done a little bit out of. Its light enough for you to carry on your back for a bit. I have done more our of my 9foot fiberglass punt though. if you have a good size car that might be an option as I fit it on the car roof. I just prefer the safety of a hard hull but if you are careful an inflatable can be used.

What is your budget? You should be able to get a second hand inflatable, battery and electric engine for maybe 500-600. Maybe as low as 250 if you intend to row and just get the boat.

Don't buy the garbage ones on donedeal they aren't safe. Get a multichamber one with a proper floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

I use a 3.8m inflatable in the summer months mainly in the sea for the odd bit of fishing (mainly around bulloch harbour) and its perfect I inflate it hen i get to the slip with a pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car, it has a floor that slats together it also handles a lot better then my fibreglass 10ft boat.
    My inflatable is quite big but I would still not put more then 2 people on it, do not try go out miles, invest in a handheld vhf for sea use, life vests, careful ith hooks/knifes etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

thanks for your help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I think you have to differentiate between a "proper" Inflatable (Soft hull Inflatable Boat - SIB) and blow up toys.

I used run a 3.5m Honwave SIB and it was a great craft. As already pointed out, decent boats will offer a safe fishing platform in the right conditions.

There's some info here: http://www.topfisher.eu/routes-to-water-rubber-boats/

You'll get a flavour what can be done off a small craft:

Advertisement