Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I see yahoo search one more time ill go ape!

Options
  • 01-12-2015 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭

So yesterday on my new laptop, suddenly my home page on chrome turned into yahoo search! Tried to change it in the settings on chrome back to Google but it didn't make a difference. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it went back to normal so wippee, except five minutes ago its started doing the same thing :( what can I do? Whats Wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

mattP wrote:
    So yesterday on my new laptop, suddenly my home page on chrome turned into yahoo search! Tried to change it in the settings on chrome back to Google but it didn't make a difference. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it went back to normal so wippee, except five minutes ago its started doing the same thing what can I do? Whats Wrong?

Go into settings in the chrome browser and look for extensions. See if a yahoo or some other rogue one is enabled. Untick or uninstall it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I presume you updated Java recently it sets Yahoo as your default search now if your not careful.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2940674/search/how-the-next-java-update-could-make-yahoo-your-default-search-provider.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Not that simple. Be careful what you click on, this has most likely been bundled with something you downloaded, there would have been an option to deselect it but they can be snidey enough. Read carefully every step of download and install of any program.

Removal instructions for Yahoo can be found here. Be glad it's not Babylon. That one is more fun.
    https://malwaretips.com/blogs/yahoo-toolbar-removal/

I wouldn't bother with the hit man pro myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

Stinicker wrote:
    I presume you updated Java recently it sets Yahoo as your default search now if your not careful.
    Oh my god what terrible ***** lol
    FortySeven wrote:
    Removal instructions for Yahoo can be found here. Be glad it's not Babylon. That one is more fun.
    I went into the control panel, but couldn't find any of the programs they mentioned,or even anything to do with yahoo :(

mattP wrote: »
    Oh my god what terrible ***** lol

I went into the control panel, but couldn't find any of the programs they mentioned,or even anything to do with yahoo :(

Didn't know about this java strap on. Oracle wouldn't want too much of a bad name so possible they're not shoehorning the complete package. likely you just need to reset your browser and change default search provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Install chromium, see if that helps (it's just chrome but without google embedded stuff)

FortySeven wrote:
    Didn't know about this java strap on. Oracle wouldn't want too much of a bad name so possible they're not shoehorning the complete package. likely you just need to reset your browser and change default search provider.

Ive tried that to the best of my ability but nothing has worked
    :(

Follow these instructions

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

If that doesn't work, post a screenshot of your installed programs from the uninstall program option in control panel.

file:///C:/Users/USER/Pictures/Screenshots/Screenshot%20(3).png
    hope this works idk

hope this works idk

It didn't. No worries, I guess this means the reset didn't work, did you restart after.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This will remove it, I've come across this issue before, all that happens is that Java or something else just changes the settings in Chrome.

FortySeven wrote:
    It didn't. No worries, I guess this means the reset didn't work, did you restart after.

Yep, unfortunately to no avail.
    Stinicker wrote:
    This will remove it, I've come across this issue before, all that happens is that Java or something else just changes the settings in Chrome.
    Unfortunately that didn't work either :( its like an effing curse I swear to God I am so frustrated

Is there a program called 'smart bar' in the uninstall programs list.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try ADWCleaner and JRT, either one or the other, both should resolve it.

Nick

yoyo wrote:
    , either one or the other, both should resolve it.

JRT did it for Internet Explorer, then I just deleted and reinstalled chrome and now its perfect again :o thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

I had to download Java before for a program to be updated, when I did it changed Chrome to Ask.fm I did the following to remove it:

1. Go to Tools, Extensions.

2. Find the Yahoo extension and click on the trash can icon beside it.

3. You then have to change back to Chrome. Go to Settings, & choose manage search engines. Then select Google and click the "Make default" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

always download all this stuff through ninite.com, it gets rid of the extra crap that tries to install itself
    unchecky does this as well for non ninite stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

Or take three seconds to read what's being installed on your machine before installing or updating, especially things that contain pre-ticked boxes like the Java update does for Yahoo search. Good habit to get into, as it saves a lot of hassle like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

JRT did it for Internet Explorer, then I just deleted and reinstalled chrome and now its perfect again :o thanks:)

This is what I told you to do 6 posts into the thread :rolleyes:

Advertisement