Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Account Problem - Complaint

Options
  • 01-12-2015 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I have had broadband and home phone with Eircom for the last four years. Recently, Eir were doing a good deal for the iPhone 6s so I said I would switch my wife and my own mobile service as well. I visited the Meteor shop in Navan and was told that my price plan would be €70 for months 1-3 (€20 per mobile plus €30 for the phone and broadband), €100 months 4- 6 (home phone and broadband would increase to €60) and then €40 for months 6 to 18 (mobiles increase to €40).

This was fine. Last week however I received my first bill which was for €173!!

I contacted Eir on Saturday and spoke to a girl called Claire. This was at around 1pm. She said that my new €70 price plan had started from 26th November and the time before this was not included in my plan. I had signed up on 24th October so there was a full month. That is why it was so high. I advised her of the prices I had been told above and I said I was never told any different in the store. Now I was being asked to pay €170 when I had been told my bill for the first three months would be €70 a month. This bill was almost what I was told 2 months should be!

Claire started telling me I needed to return to the store regarding this. I explained to her the store is an hour’s drive from me and I wished to deal with it with her. Again, she was eager to push me to the store. I explained I had an image showing exactly the prices I had been told. She wasn’t interested in this. She said I would have to sort it out with the store and confirm what they had told me. She told me to ring them. At this point, I became agitated and explained again the store is too far for me to travel, I work away during the week and I wasn’t spending my weekend travelling back to Navan when she should be able to help me as a customer. She suggested I ring the store.

I left it with her that a supervisor should contact me. She had advised one wasn’t available while I was on the phone. She said this would take 24 hours and I said this was fine. I still haven’t heard from any supervisor. I also rang the store as she suggested and left a voicemail and have no response to date.

I now need this sorted asap because there’s a direct debit for €173 due to be taken from my account on 4th December and I never agreed to this amount. I can pm my account number and contact details. I’ve been a customer with Eir for four years and the treatment is shoddy to say the least. I cannot believe that your rep was more interested in arguing with me about getting me to go back to a store an hour’s drive from me than actually helping me with the problem.

I was able to advise her who I dealt with. I was able to advise her the date, the time, I even offered to email on the image of what the rep wrote down giving the prices for the different months. She couldn’t care less though.

As I advised her, if this is the way the 18 month contract is going to be, then I’ll give back the two Iphones and you can give me a full refund and cancel my home and broadband. I’d prefer to give my money elsewhere than put up with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Lemlin wrote: »
    I have had broadband and home phone with Eircom for the last four years. Recently, Eir were doing a good deal for the iPhone 6s so I said I would switch my wife and my own mobile service as well. I visited the Meteor shop in Navan and was told that my price plan would be €70 for months 1-3 (€20 per mobile plus €30 for the phone and broadband), €100 months 4- 6 (home phone and broadband would increase to €60) and then €40 for months 6 to 18 (mobiles increase to €40).

I contacted Eir on Saturday and spoke to a girl called Claire. This was at around 1pm. She said that my new €70 price plan had started from 26th November and the time before this was not included in my plan. I had signed up on 24th October so there was a full month. That is why it was so high. I advised her of the prices I had been told above and I said I was never told any different in the store. Now I was being asked to pay €170 when I had been told my bill for the first three months would be €70 a month. This bill was almost what I was told 2 months should be!

Claire started telling me I needed to return to the store regarding this. I explained to her the store is an hour’s drive from me and I wished to deal with it with her. Again, she was eager to push me to the store. I explained I had an image showing exactly the prices I had been told. She wasn’t interested in this. She said I would have to sort it out with the store and confirm what they had told me. She told me to ring them. At this point, I became agitated and explained again the store is too far for me to travel, I work away during the week and I wasn’t spending my weekend travelling back to Navan when she should be able to help me as a customer. She suggested I ring the store.

I left it with her that a supervisor should contact me. She had advised one wasn’t available while I was on the phone. She said this would take 24 hours and I said this was fine. I still haven’t heard from any supervisor. I also rang the store as she suggested and left a voicemail and have no response to date.

I now need this sorted asap because there’s a direct debit for €173 due to be taken from my account on 4th December and I never agreed to this amount. I can pm my account number and contact details. I’ve been a customer with Eir for four years and the treatment is shoddy to say the least. I cannot believe that your rep was more interested in arguing with me about getting me to go back to a store an hour’s drive from me than actually helping me with the problem.

I was able to advise her who I dealt with. I was able to advise her the date, the time, I even offered to email on the image of what the rep wrote down giving the prices for the different months. She couldn’t care less though.

As I advised her, if this is the way the 18 month contract is going to be, then I’ll give back the two Iphones and you can give me a full refund and cancel my home and broadband. I’d prefer to give my money elsewhere than put up with this.
    Hi Lemlin

If you would like to PM me your eir account number I will be happy to look in to this for you further.

What Claire did advise does sound right on my first impression though - if the service was activated on the 24th and the charges are in advance of one month too (like all eir packages) then the charges are indeed for over two months or service availed of  - this is called part period rental and only appears on the first bill.

Your first bill will always be higher than other bills as you are paying for more than one month of usage. This is because your first bill covers the period from when your service is connected up until your first bill, as well as your price plan for the month ahead.
    For example, if you had your installation appointment on the 24th of November and your first bill issues on the 5th of December, your bill will include a charge from the 24th of November to the 4th of December called  Part-Period charges and credits. You would then pay a charge for your price plan for the month ahead (from the 5th onwards).

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

eir: Alan wrote: »

Hi Lemlin

If you would like to PM me your eir account number I will be happy to look in to this for you further.

What Claire did advise does sound right on my first impression though - if the service was activated on the 24th and the charges are in advance of one month too (like all eir packages) then the charges are indeed for over two months or service availed of  - this is called part period rental and only appears on the first bill.

Your first bill will always be higher than other bills as you are paying for more than one month of usage. This is because your first bill covers the period from when your service is connected up until your first bill, as well as your price plan for the month ahead.
    For example, if you had your installation appointment on the 24th of November and your first bill issues on the 5th of December, your bill will include a charge from the 24th of November to the 4th of December called  Part-Period charges and credits. You would then pay a charge for your price plan for the month ahead (from the 5th onwards).

Thanks
    Al
    The store should have advised me of that. I'd have no problem with it if they did. They didn't though. They wrote down and signed for me that months 1-3 would be €70. Pm sent with details.

Hi Lemlin

Thanks
    Al
    The store should have advised me of that. I'd have no problem with it if they did. They didn't though. They wrote down and signed for me that months 1-3 would be €70. Pm sent with details.
    Thanks for your PM Lemlin

As I suspected, the advice provided by Claire is correct. This Bill covers from the 24th of October to the 25th of december (2 months) - I know you have it in writing that the first bill would be for the amount advised but that was on the basis of one month.

This happens to all first bills both for mobile and landline/broadband.

Thanks
    Al

As I suspected, the advice provided by Claire is correct. This Bill covers from the 24th of October to the 25th of december (2 months) - I know you have it in writing that the first bill would be for the amount advised but that was on the basis of one month.

Thanks
    Al

Even if it was covering two months, why wasn't I advised when I took out the contract of this? I was miss sold the contract on false advice. I was never told the contract was paid on the basis of a month in advance.

Also, check your maths, 2 months of €70 = €140. Not €173. There's a €33 discrepancy?

The billing is totally different to what I was advised. You're laissez faire attitude that Claire was right doesn't solve the problem. She may well be right, I didn't say she wasn't, but it doesn't change my issue: the fact that my first bill is €100 more than I was advised it would be, both verbally and in writing by your agent.

Can a supervisor ring me as I requested? I was told that a supervisor would ring me within 24 hours on Saturday. By the time you read this it'll be Thursday and I've had no contact.

I even asked you to ring me by pm but you ignored that and answered here.

The way this is going ye can just have the mobiles back and I'll cancel the home phone and broadband. It's not worth the hassle.

Part of the reason I signed up was because I couldn't possibly be overcharged with the amounts set out over the 18 months but we haven't even made it past month one. I don't have time to be wasting chasing after your company's errors.

Thanks
    Al

Even if it was covering two months, why wasn't I advised when I took out the contract of this? I was miss sold the contract on false advice. I was never told the contract was paid on the basis of a month in advance.

Also, check your maths, 2 months of €70 = €140. Not €173. There's a €33 discrepancy?

The billing is totally different to what I was advised. You're laissez faire attitude that Claire was right doesn't solve the problem. She may well be right, I didn't say she wasn't, but it doesn't change my issue: the fact that my first bill is €100 more than I was advised it would be, both verbally and in writing by your agent.

Can a supervisor ring me as I requested? I was told that a supervisor would ring me within 24 hours on Saturday. By the time you read this it'll be Thursday and I've had no contact.

I even asked you to ring me by pm but you ignored that and answered here.

The way this is going ye can just have the mobiles back and I'll cancel the home phone and broadband. It's not worth the hassle.

Part of the reason I signed up was because I couldn't possibly be overcharged with the amounts set out over the 18 months but we haven't even made it past month one. I don't have time to be wasting chasing after your company's errors.
    Hi Lemlin

I would ask you to read back over the PM you sent me as there is no request for me to call you.

Part period charges apply to all eir contracts and this will not be waived. A complaint has not been opened in relation to this and no breaches to you consumer rights or errors have occurred.

The bill is not a €100 more than what it should be - what you were advised in the shops is based on a per month basis and this bill is for 2 months. The reason for the €33 discrepancy is because the package is not applied to the first month and that is the only error that has occurred here and I will arrange a €33 refund.

The terms and condition which you have agreed to also state the following: [font=Cambria Math","serif]

"Amounts due for call Charges shall be billed in arrears and amounts due for Line Rental will be billed in advance. Any charges not to hand when a bill is being prepared will be included in a later bill - please follow here to see this in your terms and conditions":

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

AL

[/font]

• Advertisement

Hi Lemlin

I would ask you to read back over the PM you sent me as there is no request for me to call you.

Part period charges apply to all eir contracts and this will not be waived. A complaint has not been opened in relation to this and no breaches to you consumer rights or errors have occurred.

The bill is not a €100 more than what it should be - what you were advised in the shops is based on a per month basis and this bill is for 2 months. The reason for the €33 discrepancy is because the package is not applied to the first month and that is the only error that has occurred here and I will arrange a €33 refund.

The terms and condition which you have agreed to also state the following: [font=Cambria Math","serif]

"Amounts due for call Charges shall be billed in arrears and amounts due for Line Rental will be billed in advance. Any charges not to hand when a bill is being prepared will be included in a later bill - please follow here to see this in your terms and conditions":

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

AL

[/font]

I pmed you my account number, name and mobile phone number. I presumed you'd realise the mobile phone number was to ring me.

The above says the charges will be billed in advance. It says nothing about two months being billed after a month. According to the above, I should have paid €70 on October 24th when I signed up - I would not have had an issue with this. The charge of €70 was to hand when I signed up.

The shop also advised me the bill would be €70 months 1-3. No mention of two months being coupled. I also have that in writing from them and can email it to you as I've already offered.

If no complaint was opened, why did Claire tell me a supervisor would ring within 24 hours? Is it appropriate to leave customers sitting that they have to come on here and argue?

You don't even offer an apology for the €33 overcharge which you've admitted to. Also, I don't want a refund. Please take the €33 off the bill and bill me €140. That is the correct amount. You can't bill someone an amount when you have admitted the bill is incorrect.

I thought your company would be aware of the dangers of overcharging people:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-finds-eircom-and-vodafone-guilty-of-overcharging-customers-688425.html

Hi Lemlin

The terms and condition which you have agreed to also state the following:

AL

I pmed you my account number, name and mobile phone number. I presumed you'd realise the mobile phone number was to ring me.

The above says the charges will be billed in advance. It says nothing about two months being billed after a month. According to the above, I should have paid €70 on October 24th when I signed up - I would not have had an issue with this. The charge of €70 was to hand when I signed up.

The shop also advised me the bill would be €70 months 1-3. No mention of two months being coupled. I also have that in writing from them and can email it to you as I've already offered.

If no complaint was opened, why did Claire tell me a supervisor would ring within 24 hours? Is it appropriate to leave customers sitting that they have to come on here and argue?

You don't even offer an apology for the €33 overcharge which you've admitted to. Also, I don't want a refund. Please take the €33 off the bill and bill me €140. That is the correct amount. You can't bill someone an amount when you have admitted the bill is incorrect.

I thought your company would be aware of the dangers of overcharging people:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/court-finds-eircom-and-vodafone-guilty-of-overcharging-customers-688425.html
    I'm sorry Lemlin but this occurs on the first bill of most accounts and not just with eir - it's called pert period rental.

I have arrange that credit now and the balance for the two months is now €140

Thanks
    Al

I'm sorry Lemlin but this occurs on the first bill of most accounts and not just with eir - it's called pert period rental.

Thanks
    Al

Can you respond to all of my queries above please.

Also, am I not important enough to be contacted by a supervisor as I've now asked for on several occasions?

Thanks
    Al

Can you respond to all of my queries above please.

Also, am I not important enough to be contacted by a supervisor as I've now asked for on several occasions?
    Hi Lemlin

I'm sorry I will be unable to assist further. A call will not be made I'm afraid, there is no existing billing issue and all charges are in accordance with eirs terms and conditions which you consented to.

Your bill for two months is €140 - I know you were advided 70 but we both know that was in terms of one month. 2 x 70 = €140

I am genuinely sorry that this has caused you such inconvenience.

Al

Hi Lemlin

I'm sorry I will be unable to assist further. A call will not be made I'm afraid, there is no existing billing issue and all charges are in accordance with eirs terms and conditions which you consented to.

Your bill for two months is €140 - I know you were advided 70 but we both know that was in terms of one month. 2 x 70 = €140

Al

Can someone call me about cancelling the contract then? I've no wish to engage in an 18 month contract with a company who don't even view my business as worth a phone call.

• Advertisement

Hi Lemlin

Al

Can someone call me about cancelling the contract then? I've no wish to engage in an 18 month contract with a company who don't even view my business as worth a phone call.
    I cannot arrange a call to you Lemlin - If you wish to contact cancellations you can reach them on free phone 1800303600. It is important to clarify that there is no grounds for an early cancellation and should you wish to cancel you will be charged an early termination charge for all services.

Thanks

Al

I cannot arrange a call to you Lemlin - If you wish to contact cancellations you can reach them on free phone 1800303600. It is important to clarify that there is no grounds for an early cancellation and should you wish to cancel you will be charged an early termination charge for all services.

Thanks

Al

My bill is still showing online as €173.98?

Thanks

Al

My bill is still showing online as €173.98?
    It will online until the next bill although I can assure you the credit has been arranged.

Al

It will online until the next bill although I can assure you the credit has been arranged.

Al

So I will only be charged €140 on 11th December?

My bill is now showing as 0.00 on the app. Can you please confirm what amount will be deducted from my account tomorrow as I have asked?

This is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

My bill is now showing as 0.00 on the app. Can you please confirm what amount will be deducted from my account tomorrow as I have asked?

This is beyond ridiculous at this stage.
    Hi Lemlin

The full amount of €173.98 was taken as the direct debit was applied for before I had arranged the credit.

This means that your account is now €33 in credit before the next bill is even made.

The online dashboard does not reflect credits and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

If you wish to make a complaint about all this follow here : https://www.eir.ie/logacomplaint.jsp

Al

Hi Lemlin

The full amount of €173.98 was taken as the direct debit was applied for before I had arranged the credit.

This means that your account is now €33 in credit before the next bill is even made.

The online dashboard does not reflect credits and I'm sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

If you wish to make a complaint about all this follow here : https://www.eir.ie/logacomplaint.jsp

Al

Why did you purposefully ignore me previously? There was time to cancel the DD.

I raised this on the 3rd. The DD was applied for on the 4th.

So Eir knew my bill was incorrect and still proceeded with it?

I'll be cancelling my direct debit and I'll see you in court over this contract. You can't knowingly overcharge people.

Hi Lemlin

I did not purposely ignore you. The direct debit was applied for on Monday the 30th (10days in advance of the permission granted by your bank account on the 9th) - With eir direct debits are requested 10 days in advance.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Why did you purposefully ignore me previously? There was time to cancel the DD.

I raised this on the 3rd. The DD was applied for on the 4th.

So Eir knew my bill was incorrect and still proceeded with it?

I'll be cancelling my direct debit and I'll see you in court over this contract. You can't knowingly overcharge people.

you can call your bank and have the dd immediately returned to you under SEPA regulations, then manually pay what you actually owe

Hi Lemlin

I did not purposely ignore you. The direct debit was applied for on Monday the 30th (10days in advance of the permission granted by your bank account on the 9th) - With eir direct debits are requested 10 days in advance.

Al

I asked you to confirm the direct debit amount and you didn't reply.

Your representative told me last week that the DD would be applied for on the 4th. So either you or her are wrong.

You can get that supervisor to ring me now.

• Advertisement

Hi Lemlin

Al

I asked you to confirm the direct debit amount and you didn't reply.

Your representative told me last week that the DD would be applied for on the 4th. So either you or her are wrong.

You can get that supervisor to ring me now.
    I will not be arranging a call Lemlin - I'm afraid I will be unable to assist you further although I would like to finally confirm that there have been no intentions from myself or my collegiate to purposely avoid you.

Ultimately the direct debit was applied to before we arranged the credit and as such your account is now in €33 credit.

Should you have further queries or complaints you are going to have to contact accounts on free phone 1901.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Wow. A customer has a legit complaint and is brushed off with 'soz, not helping anymore.'

Seriously, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

This is what happens when a US hedge fund buys up the Eircom debt, and sets up a cheap as chips call centre to manage complaints

I will not be arranging a call Lemlin - I'm afraid I will be unable to assist you further although I would like to finally confirm that there have been no intentions from myself or my collegiate to purposely avoid you.

Ultimately the direct debit was applied to before we arranged the credit and as such your account is now in €33 credit.

Should you have further queries or complaints you are going to have to contact accounts on free phone 1901.

Al

Why can a supervisor not ring me? I'd like you to outline the reasons why.

Can you please confirm what is happening with this mess? No amount has been deducted from my account at all now.

If someone wants to call me, I can pay the €140 by laser or credit card.

Can you please confirm what is happening with this mess? No amount has been deducted from my account at all now.

If someone wants to call me, I can pay the €140 by laser or credit card.
    Hi Lemlin

I have previous;y advised you that should you have any further queries with this please contact accounts on 1901

According to your eir account records 173.98 was attempted for withdrawal on the 9th of December from the bank account details you supplied.

It can take between 5 and 10 days to show if the debit was unsuccessful (if your bank account has refused this) so at this stage I would suggest checking with your bank if it refused the debit.

I would refrain from paying by another method until it shows if the payment has bounced or not.

Al

Hi Lemlin

I have previous;y advised you that should you have any further queries with this please contact accounts on 1901

According to your eir account records 173.98 was attempted for withdrawal on the 9th of December from the bank account details you supplied.

It can take between 5 and 10 days to show if the debit was unsuccessful (if your bank account has refused this) so at this stage I would suggest checking with your bank if it refused the debit.

I would refrain from paying by another method until it shows if the payment has bounced or not.

Al

I rang 1901 this evening. After 20 minutes on hold, I gave up and rang the bank.

They confirmed the direct debit is there but Eir have never sought any funds.

I rang Eir back. Five minutes on hold. I got some girl who was immediately flummoxed when I presented my case. She left me on hold for four to five minutes.

She came back to say the direct debit is showing as paid. I explained it hasn't been. The funds are still in my account and the bank informed me it wasn't paid.

She said it would show in five to seven days if it was unsuccessful. I asked her why it would be unsuccessful when the money is in my account. She was flummoxed again.

I asked her could she confirm the account number and sort code Eir have for me in case it was incorrect. She could only confirm the last four digits of the account number.

I asked her could someone ring me when it is unsuccessful (which I know it will be because the funds haven't left my account as Eir haven't looked for them) and she said no, it's up to me to call back in. So it's up to me yet again to waste more of my time trying to pay a bill because Eir can't get a simple direct debit right.

I asked her could she confirm that no incorrect information about me missing a direct debit will be passed to the Central Bank to affect my credit rating. She couldn't confirm this.

I asked her to put me onto someone who could. No supervisor available.

I asked her to get someone to call me who could confirm this. She said no, I'd have to call back in myself. I explained I've already wasted more than enough time on this.

She said if I wanted to make a complaint go to the website. She couldn't log one for a supervisor. I pushed her on this and she eventually said she had added it to a log and I might get a call - the supervisors are very busy according to her.

I advised her that I'm not surprised given how they treat customers and ended the call.

Now Alan, can you please confirm that no incorrect information regarding a missed direct debit will be given to the central bank? I can send you a screenshot of the funds in my account if you wish. The money is there.

Eir just haven't looked for it (and that's according to my bank)

READERS, DON'T DEAL WITH EIR, I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH INEPITITUDE FROM A COMPANY.

Can the above please be confirmed for me Alan?

My response contained in post #27 would still apply Lemlin.

"According to your eir account records 173.98 was attempted for withdrawal on the 9th of December from the bank account details you supplied.

I would refrain from paying by another method until it shows if the payment has bounced or not."

Al

• Advertisement

My response contained in post #27 would still apply Lemlin.

"According to your eir account records 173.98 was attempted for withdrawal on the 9th of December from the bank account details you supplied.

I would refrain from paying by another method until it shows if the payment has bounced or not."

Al

But can you confirm no incorrect information about me missing a direct debit will be passed to the Central Bank? The funds are in my account.

You told me contact my bank. I did and they state Eir didn't seek the funds.

Advertisement