Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not supposed to have moved in yet - Landlord in room

• 01-12-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a little advice!

I recently moved in with friends. The housemate whose room I took over wanted to move out early. As my lease on my previous apartment expired a few weeks ago I agreed to move in early. The current housemates (including the housemate who is leaving) suggested that I just sign the new lease when the current one is up next week, and I happily agrees as I am fed up of my long commute and overstaying my welcome in my parents house! The rent for this month was paid to the landlord by the housemate who has now moved out (I paid half of it to her in cash as there was an overlap of about 2 weeks). However, I got a text yesterday from one of the girls who lives in the house warning me that the landlord would be over today as someone was coming to fix the alarm. I'm the only one in the house at the moment as the others are on annual leave. I closed the door upon leaving the house for the day and when I returned this evening it was open. I am sure it was closed as I was careful to do so this morning, knowing the landlord would be over. I suspect the landlord was in the room. There are documents with my name on them in the room so if she even did a little bit of snooping she would know I was there. Anyway, my question is: Could I get in trouble for being there before I signed my lease? Or since she should not have been in my room, is this unlikely to be an issue? Sorry for the ramble, I know I'm probably blowing things put of proportion, it's just my living situation the past few weeks has been so stressful I can't deal with the prospect of another issue cropping up :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I doubt the landlord will be unhappy as long as the rent is paid and the house is in good condition. If the landlord was supposed to inspect the house then it's fair enough, but does he/she inspect the house regularly? Without some kind of notice or agreement to enter the house it's not acceptable. But you did say the landlord was due to call.

I'd try not make an issue of it given that you're hoping for a hassle free place. Best not to piss of the landlord immediately given that you shouldn't be living there yet. Maybe contact landlord to inform them you've moved in etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

I doubt the landlord will be unhappy as long as the rent is paid and the house is in good condition. If the landlord was supposed to inspect the house then it's fair enough, but does he/she inspect the house regularly? Without some kind of notice or agreement to enter the house it's not acceptable. But you did say the landlord was due to call.

I'd try not make an issue of it given that you're hoping for a hassle free place. Best not to piss of the landlord immediately given that you shouldn't be living there yet. Maybe contact landlord to inform them you've moved in etc..

Thanks for this! At this stage I am happy enough to have a place, I don't even care if she was in there as long as she's not going to go mad about me being there :) Will see if I can meet her to sign the lease soon so I can relax! Thanks again!

Just noticed I missed some of your questions there! Apparently she rarely comes over but wants to inspect the house before the new lease is signed and I move in (the irony, I know!). She has said she wants the place spotless. She informed the housemates about the visit for the alarm, but didn't mention anything about inspecting rooms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If someone was fixing the alarm then I'd expect them to have to go into all the rooms to test the sensors. Hopefully you're just being paranoid.

athtrasna wrote: »
    If someone was fixing the alarm then I'd expect them to have to go into all the rooms to test the sensors. Hopefully you're just being paranoid.

Good point, I hope I am ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

LL would be entitled to inspect that/your room before current tenent officially moves out for damage which could require partial retention of deposit. Also you should be happy if it was inspected as you can not now be blamed for any damage done by previous tenent.

But as above, if alarm is being fitted/serviced, every room would be accessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Landlords will almost always check the room of a tenant who just moved out to see if it was left in reasonable condition. The fact that he gave notice to come over and probably expected that room to be unoccupied seems fair that he was in the room.

As others said if the rent is paid and the place is in good condition I doubt he cares if you moved in a bit early. It's not like he was going to short lease the room to someone else for a week.

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I've not heard anything since so I'm presuming all is okay. Not even bothered that she was in the room - just glad it doesn't seem to have been an issue! Can't wait till I have the lease signed so I can truly relax! :) thanks again to all!

Advertisement