Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market 2015

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

There was no suggestion that the Christmas Market is culture either.

However you were suggesting that the absence of grass on some patches of the lawn area in Eyre Square would count against selection as the city of culture. Frankly, I'm not seeing it. City of Culture and Tidy Towns have very different selection criteria, and mindsets (thank goodness)

Its more of a fact really.. The city council who have a huge part in the bid have come out and said it will have a impact when awarding the 20/20 bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Its more of a fact really.. The city council who have a huge part in the bid have come out and said it will have a impact when awarding the 20/20 bid.

But...but..but.. Aren't the City Council always wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What's the definition of culture? two beer tents selling overpriced warm beer while eating a hot dog form alidi? Might I suggest that everyone experience a continental Christmas market aboard before praising the stalls in eyre square

instead save the grass for the 2 summers days we get in the year

But...but..but.. Aren't the City Council always wrong?

Can u stay on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic everyone, and be civil. Thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Even if you don't put stalls out on the grass doesn't mean there aren't other ways to make the area look Christmas cheerful. Take a look at what Three did in Athenry for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Walked through Eyre Square this morning and the grass is a mess and looks bloody disgusting, its the first thing you see on arrival in Galway from buses and trains and would not give a good impression of maintenance by the City Council for the green areas of the Square even though its not their fault, the damaged grass should have been replaced as soon as the market left there. In my humble opinion its not a patch on markets that I have seen in Manchester and Berlin, its nearly all food in Galway's market that's for sale, in Manchester there were beautiful log cabins with Christmas items for sale from Sweden, Germany, Holland and Belgium all the log cabins were the same with false snow on the roofs and a large log beer Keller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aerohead wrote: »
    Walked through Eyre Square this morning and the grass is a mess and looks bloody disgusting, its the first thing you see on arrival in Galway from buses and trains and would not give a good impression of maintenance by the City Council for the green areas of the Square even though its not their fault, the damaged grass should have been replaced as soon as the market left there. In my humble opinion its not a patch on markets that I have seen in Manchester and Berlin, its nearly all food in Galway's market that's for sale, in Manchester there were beautiful log cabins with Christmas items for sale from Sweden, Germany, Holland and Belgium all the log cabins were the same with false snow on the roofs and a large log beer Keller.
    Of course, Manchester & Berlin are almost as big as Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... the damaged grass should have been replaced as soon as the market left there.

Ya, 'cos new grass takes root really well in mid-winter.

Walked through Eyre Square this morning and the grass is a mess and looks bloody disgusting...

Ya ... like this:

379953.JPG

and this

379954.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

If they used false snow in Athenry to create the winter scene they can use false grass in Eyre Square to please the bit deciders.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

One thing that is being paved over by everyone is the responsibility. Heard this straight from a city councillor:

The GCBA & the event management company pay the city council well before the market begins each year an amount to be used for repairs to the square. Therefore it is the councils responsibility and they are dragging their knuckles.

Last year what ended up happening was that the GCBA and the event management company were getting (unfair and incorrect) flack over the state of it and went to the council after Paddy's Day for an update.

The council said they were too busy to do it, and on the request of the GCBA & the event management company, the council release the money and responsibility back to them.

Two weeks later the place was sorted an looking lush.

I imagine the same is happening this year.

From 14.00hrs today

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I can think of at least 100 things more important to sort out in Galway city than the grass in Eyre square. The council should sort it yes, but is it a reason to curtail a huge draw of visitors and source of joy to the city in the bleakness of december. No. No it's not.

I can think of at least 100 things more important to sort out in Galway city than the grass in Eyre square. The council should sort it yes, but is it a reason to curtail a huge draw of visitors and source of joy to the city in the bleakness of december. No. No it's not.

Totally agree with you, Galway has lots of problems. The eye sore that is eyre square at present will count against city of culture 2020 bid which is due to be awarded soon. Without a successful bid the City stands to loose a lot more than a few underwhelming stands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They should never have re-developed Eye Square. What a complete waste of money it was and then a payout to the contractor subsequently.

The old Eyre Square when enclosed by the railings that now surround St Nicholas's Church, had character. The so called new square is pure crap even when the grass is at its best. A total waste of tax payers money.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13 xtraxtra

have to agree here, as someone relocated back in the city its pretty depressing looking at the quality of eyre sq which used to be a very social green area with the trees now looking like the recovery ground of a festival, wtf... steady decline imminent imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Personally, I preferred the old park. There was more space for groups to hang out. Kids to play etc.

I like the market...I wasn't there this year. How well did the tent down by the Spanish Arch do? I'd imagine it was brutal down there at that time of year.

You'd wonder why they don't use the space where the Volvo Ocean Race had setup down by the Docks. The big empty area. They'd probably have a lot more options for laying it out. It would be more accessible by car (imo). With the cost they charge the vendors, I'd imagine they could cover the cost of setting up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Personally, I preferred the old park. There was more space for groups to hang out. Kids to play etc.

I like the market...I wasn't there this year. How well did the tent down by the Spanish Arch do? I'd imagine it was brutal down there at that time of year.

You'd wonder why they don't use the space where the Volvo Ocean Race had setup down by the Docks. The big empty area. They'd probably have a lot more options for laying it out. It would be more accessible by car (imo). With the cost they charge the vendors, I'd imagine they could cover the cost of setting up there.
    I wasn't at the market in '15 either but I do remember in '14 the docks had the Ice Rink and some other Funderland style amusements.

xtraxtra wrote: »
    have to agree here, as someone relocated back in the city its pretty depressing looking at the quality of eyre sq which used to be a very social green area with the trees now looking like the recovery ground of a festival, wtf... steady decline imminent imo

Completely agree with you, the Square is a mud pit in places just look at the pictures Whereisgalway took compared to the very set up ones that Mrs o bumble took to make it look like it's in good condition, as I already said it's a disgrace as we head into the tourist season when it's the first impression of Galway that they see on arrival.

• Advertisement

Completely agree with you, the Square is a mud pit in places just look at the pictures Whereisgalway took compared to the very set up ones that Mrs o bumble took to make it look like it's in good condition, as I already said it's a disgrace as we head into the tourist season when it's the first impression of Galway that they see on arrival.

In fairness one of the first impressions you get of Galway when coming in is the old Corrib Great Southern on the Dublin Rd and the graffiti all along the walls along that road in. That's the way the GoBus and CityLink buses come in from Dublin.

People taking the train also get treated to the graffiti out near Renmore.

God forbid they go for a walk out to Salthill. They won't get a good look at the scenery, they'll be too distracted by trying to avoid all of the dog sh1t on the path.

A lot of people take their picture of the Cathedral from across the road...take a look behind you and there's rubbish everywhere.

The Galwiegans don't have much pride in their community...

In fairness one of the first impressions you get of Galway when coming in is the old Corrib Great Southern on the Dublin Rd and the graffiti all along the walls along that road in. That's the way the GoBus and CityLink buses come in from Dublin.

People taking the train also get treated to the graffiti out near Renmore.

God forbid they go for a walk out to Salthill. They won't get a good look at the scenery, they'll be too distracted by trying to avoid all of the dog sh1t on the path.

A lot of people take their picture of the Cathedral from across the road...take a look behind you and there's rubbish everywhere.

The Galwiegans don't have much pride in their community...

Walked around the Cathedral today and saw nothing like what you say, in fairness I was not looking for rubbish but if it was there I would see it , as for Salthill I walk the prom every week and it's not as bad as it used to be it's the nicest place in the World for a walk we don't know how lucky we are to have such a beautiful promenade

Walked around the Cathedral today and saw nothing like what you say, in fairness I was not looking for rubbish but if it was there I would see it , as for Salthill I walk the prom every week and it's not as bad as it used to be it's the nicest place in the World for a walk we don't know how lucky we are to have such a beautiful promenade

Try walking from the Spanish Arch towards Supervalu out to Salthill without seeing mounds of dog sh1te. The prom isn't where it's too bad...though you do see it there too...it's the walk out.

I love Salthill. The people are very lucky to have it and to have Galway city in general. With the waterways, old narrow streets and history. It's a great city...the only bad element is what the people are doing to it.

If you want to see the Rubbish, take a look by the wall where the buses line up on Thursday and Friday.

It's amazing what people can do with a camera. People see through photoshopped and set tailored angled shots

Have you any good pictures of old eyre square?

02899163a1.jpg

e550c06de5.jpg

7b3edfe291.png

afa0fc3a91.jpg

Although some things never change :D

0c52100d47.jpg

The Toft family were associated with Eyre Square for many years since 1883 when they first brought a carnival there, not a market as such & not the same time of year but is was black with people at races time and it never got ruined to the extent it is now after the Christmas market.

4ba422b228.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...as for Salthill I walk the prom every week and it's not as bad as it used to be it's the nicest place in the World for a walk we don't know how lucky we are to have such a beautiful promenade

ahh, in Galway, yes. But in the world??? ... you need to travel a bit.

It's amazing what people can do with a camera. People see through photoshopped and set tailored angled shots

Or thru ones that are cropped into unusual shapes to focus in on one small slice of an area and not show the overall environment.

FWIW, I don't even have access to PhotoShop, or know how to use it.

Such a lovely day, ideal for sitting out on the small patch of grass left in eyre square

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Such a lovely day, ideal for sitting out on the small patch of grass left in eyre square

Don't forget to to thank the council for their excellent initiative to work with the local pubs to ban the sale of alcohol until 3pm which likely contributed to an enjoyable st Patrick's day parade and I can only imagine cleaner streets / eyre square

Oh wait you only give out about things and blame the council for absolutely everything

• Advertisement

Don't forget to to thank the council for their excellent initiative to work with the local pubs to ban the sale of alcohol until 3pm which likely contributed to an enjoyable st Patrick's day parade and I can only imagine cleaner streets / eyre square

Oh wait you only give out about things and blame the council for absolutely everything

If your going to troll make sure you get your facts right, It's was off licenses n supermarkets that didn't sell booze before 15.00hrs.

Advertisement