Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone blacklisted after purchase

• 01-12-2015 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Bought an iPhone 5 on eBay last month. Ran an IMEI check on the phone before and then again when it arrived (It took over a week to come) and it was clear (see attached pic)

Now the phone is coming up 2-3 weeks later as blocked

Seller just pulled an insurance scam I bet

Will find it very hard to get it unlocked now. I was using my own Vodafone UK sim in it for 30 days as per Vodafone UK's unlocking T&C's

Since I have proof of purchase and lock status weeks before the phone was blacklisted and the details of the seller it will be very hard for the seller to dispute this on Paypal. Going to open a dispute on Paypal in a second. Buyer beware.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Open the dispute ASAP.
    Let PayPal handle this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Hi,

I am so sorry, Vodafone did block it when they cancelled the sim! God knows bloody why. Anyway they have said they have unblocked it. You just need to turn the handset off, leave it for two hours and turn it back on!

I am so sorry for all this inconvenience. Absolutely ridiculous. If you would rather still have a refund then please post the phone back recoded delivery and I will process the return. If you want to keep it I will still refund you £10 for all the hassle.

I genuinely had no idea Vodafone had done that! I don't know why they did!!

So sorry again. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks!!

As I'm here in the republic I've no way to test this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As I'm here in the republic I've no way to test this.

Your phone is on a blacklist and will remain blocked unless the person who claimed insurance on it admits that they did so dishonestly or by mistake and refunds the money to the insurance company. Vodafone won't block the phone just because they're cancelling the SIM, they're two completely separate issues.

coylemj wrote: »
    Your phone is on a blacklist and will remain blocked unless the person who claimed insurance on it admits that they did so dishonestly or by mistake and refunds the money to the insurance company. Vodafone won't block the phone just because they're cancelling the SIM, they're two completely separate issues.

Looking at that report it says the device was reported lost or stolen to the mobile network. The only two checks it fails. There's no insurance claims coming up for it.

Waiting for Vodafone to contact me to confirm the story. If its not un-blacklisted then the phone will be returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Looking at that report it says the device was reported lost or stolen to the mobile network. The only two checks it fails. There's no insurance claims coming up for it.

Waiting for Vodafone to contact me to confirm the story. If its not un-blacklisted then the phone will be returned.

Unfortunately this doesn't mean that there wasn't an insurance claim. I'd say the seller definitely claimed on his insurance and this section was not updated correctly. Its very difficult to reverse a blacklisted phone's status. I would contact the seller and ask for a full refund. Definitely get in touch with PayPal too and create a dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why would someone falsely report a phone stolen and then sell it unless it involved a fraudulent insurance claim?

Most likely it was stolen very recently, the original owner claimed off their insurance and the phone ended up in the hands of the person who sold it to you while the paperwork to get it blacklisted was going through the system.

Update

It would appear the seller was telling the truth and it was accidentally blacklisted and now unblacklisted.

See report below.

Update

FINALLY got this phone unlocked. After 7 emails and 20+ live chats.

Advertisement