Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top of the range gaming and streaming pc

Options
  • 01-12-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

hi guys,
    so ive been the last two months wrecking my head on websites building my ideal gaming pc using the websites options of customising there current pcs. before everyone goes nuts telling me to build myself, i cant but i have got offers off a few kind people on here to build it for me. anyway i was wondering if i could get some experts opinions from experienced gaming rig builders here, so my question is if i handed u 4-5k and told u to build me the best possible gaming/streaming pc, can you post up your choices of components??? im very interested to see ye re choices, compared to what i have picked myself. (the only decent website for online build i got was scan, post up any others anyone likes too).
    thanks
    sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Even if you went dual 395x2 and a tanky case you'd still be under 3k. 4-5k for gaming is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 seanjoyce21

lol i didnt ask for advice on the money im spending, but thanks for the very helpful reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Well if money is no object and you dont want to build yourself you could try one of the overclockers premium systems
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/prestige-pc/infin8
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/prestige-pc/8pack

Theres one there for 12k sterling!!!

ya i saw them, things a gigantic, there s a cool dream pcs on x3 systems in scan site but there huge money too, i have ta draw line at 5k tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I think whenever anybody says "That's ludicrous" or whatever, what they're trying to pin-point is "How much money do you want to waste?", because everything outside of the bang-for-buck bracket of E900-E1200 sees diminishing returns. Not that those diminishing returns can't be worthwhile, but we also don't know what your preferences are and how comfortable you'd be with a build either half or one third the price matching your E4000-E5000 build in just a few years.

Going just a level or two above the bang-for-buck category gives you more wiggle-room for spending money in the future and staying up-to-date and so on, and you could spend the extra money on peripherals that won't devalue so much - screens & inner components devalue or get bested quickly. Good cases, keyboards, great amps & speakers less so. Is sound important to you? Do you have a large room?

If I had a E5000 budget I could buy a great PC, KB&M & controllers of my choosing (do you like emulation?), 1440p 21:9 monitor, 1080p projector, great surround setup - but if all or some of those things don't matter to you we're shooting in the dark. Is the budget strictly for the PC only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

lol i didnt ask for advice on the money im spending, but thanks for the very helpful reply.

me finks because you were too busy reading for the "lolz", your brain farted so you misunderstood what Ed was saying.

There are only so many fps /graphics settings before you're gonna hit a ceiling. For every 1k after this ceiling you get next to nothing.

thanks grindle, but like im new on here only ever posted twice on boards before. didnt think id need to be trying to figure out what people really mean when they reply to a question, so much easier if its just straight up answered like u did just now,

ya the moneys for the whole lot, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc... i shud of said that sorry, im sorted as far as tv and surround sound and headset(which ill use most for gaming), my current pc i bought 8/9 years ago and only had to add a gpu and ram 3/5 yrs ago to keep it playing all the top games, i wud like that this build wud be like that so wud only need minimum spent to upgrade 4/5 years time.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Get yourself a decent, large case (€100+)
    Mobo, capable of DDr 4 and the latest chipsets 100-150
    Ram: OTT 16-32 gb 70-130ish
    CPU: Go for the latest i7 cause sure why not 300-500(?)
    GPU: Go for 1 or 2 980's, 980 TI's or Titans (I have 0 AMD references) 600-1400 (depending on make and how many)
    SDD: 2 Samsung EVO 500 gb: 300ish
    HDD: Couple of 2-4 tB HDDs: 150(?)
    PSU: Corsair Gold/Plat 80/90 + efficency 850-900 Watt: 150-220(?)
    Extra fans: 80 (depending on case)
    Cooling: 80-150 (same as above)

Because 4k max res set up on a single monitor is bit... ridiculous, we will say 1-3 1440p 144hz Gsync monitors: 500-1500 @23-27 inches each
    Mechanical Keyboard of the colorful and strange (blue/brown/red key) variety: 80-150
    Mouse: Match it to KB/ what ever game you play... find out their sizes as that's important.. (20-100

Desk: If you don't have one, but a nice spacious one: 50-250
    Chair: arm rests, comfortable height and cool factor: 100-200
    Spare cables for dem monitors: 10-30

Headset(?): Sure 10-300 from microsft cheapy talk ones to Like Astros/Sennheisers...

Sound card: nah..

Capture card?: Nah...

I can't think of much else to get in a "I have more money than I know what to do with scenario for PC games"

The above is absolutely OTT and unless you won the lottery and plan on gaming for many many moons ahead with little else to spend the time on, it's probably not worth the price for how often you would use it.

I wouldn't even if I could afford it because something better will be out for the same price in 2-5 years and just because it's very over the top.

However, websites like Amazon and scan are great for the above. Brands like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, Corsair etc would be very good.

Without a huge library for the most the demanding games and previous experience gaming at 720p/30fps, 1080p/60fps/90fps/144fps or 1440p/60fps I wouldn't take the plunge as it's probably not all that necessary and as hobby can be enjoyed humbly without everything being super OTT... At the end of the day, they're just numbers and price tags and change the gameplay as drastically as an individual game would... like playing System shock and then jumping on to fall out 4... Thats where it all matters, games...

Also in streaming, the higher the quality the less viewers you get as their internet and the streaming band width can't sustain it.. I have ran in to these road blocks myself and never stream/upload higher than 1080p or 60 fps... so I play at that because it's still not as slow/choppy as Old school NES or PONG!

Happy building :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd advise not spending quite so much in one go, mainly because you've come at the tail end of a GPU cycle.

We've been with the 900 series on the 28nm node for far too long now, and it's only recently we've started to see smaller SoCs moving to 14/16nm. This is what's coming around Q2 next year. By all accounts Pascal is going to be an absolute monster.

Rough projections see the 1080 (or whatever it's called) being anywhere up to 30% more powerful than the 980Ti, using GDDR5X. The GP100/102 chips will ship with HBM2. Predictions for these things really are a crapshoot at the moment, but they won't be slow.

So really, there's not much point dropping two grand on a pair of Titans at the moment, not with such a big jump in tech coming (relatively) soon. You of course could, but frankly I'm pretty bored with the 900 series as a whole at this point, and if it were me, I wouldn't invest, unless you could find something second-hand on the cheap to keep you going for a few months.

If you absolutely must buy something sooner, something like this would be what I'd look at. I can't give you much specifics though as you haven't actually said anything about what you'll be doing with it, or what you want from it.

X99 motherboard + 5820K
    16-32GB of RAM
    GTX 980 Ti SLI
    Samsung 950 Pro SSD (Primary)
    Crucial BX100 SSD (Secondary)
    RMi850 PSU

Case can be whatever you like. As far as cooling, I'd of course go custom water, but something tells me you won't be up for that, so probably whatever EK's new AIO is instead. That looks reasonably nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

There's a small bit more info on Sean's requirements in his past threads.

Serephucus and Grindle are pretty on the money. €6k at the moment is way into diminishing returns - and is coming just a few months before a big GPU update.

If you absolutely want, we can suggest what'd make a €6k PC right now but you'd be better off splitting the budget. Have a €3k pc built now (which will max out everything for the foreseeable future) and have a €3k system upgrade either a few years down the line or after Pascal launches (maybe 6 months or so). That should give you a better gaming experience.

• Advertisement

wow thanks for all replies will reply properly when home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Diminishing returns aren't really a problem anymore with the new crazy monitors available.

You could easily spend close to that money and get a great experience out of it.

2 gtx 980ti's and an Asus pg279q monitor is gonna cost the gut's of €2300 alone.

X99 motherboard + i7 + cooler + 16-32gb of ram would be about €800-900.

Decent case + power supply about €250-300.

Storage options around €200-300.

Peripherals around €300-400.

I wouldn't bother with water cooling unless you want to spend money for the sake of spending it.

Still around 4 grand, you could grab a second monitor although not the same crazy high end one.

ok guys thanks for all the info i gonna try respond to ye all:

I Armour I,
    thanks for all ure suggestions on the specs, as regard the desk i dont need, im wheelchair bound so dont chair either, i actually do have all the time in the world to play games, i have a decent monitor already but not gsync or 144hz or any of the new tech i assume the step up makes a difference?? thanks.

Serephucus,
    i thought i said for gaming and maybe small bit of streaming???, im open to anything otherwise be stupid asking for advice then not listening, wud go with water cooling no problem. q2 is like may ish next year?? do u know where i can read up on that stuff u were saying coming soon?? thanks,

L,
    i like that idea, the split.thanks,

BloodBath,
    thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭I Armour I

ok guys thanks for all the info i gonna try respond to ye all:

I Armour I,
    thanks for all ure suggestions on the specs, as regard the desk i dont need, im wheelchair bound so dont chair either, i actually do have all the time in the world to play games, i have a decent monitor already but not gsync or 144hz or any of the new tech i assume the step up makes a difference?? thanks.

So essentially more money= more quality.. You get higher textures/graphics from the better GPU's. Better CPU's/RAM make every other task very very fast and the better monitors allow the GPU's to Maximise settings, frames and display. Any top name searches on Amazon will damn near pick the parts for you and then any of the many boardies local to you, I'm sure, wouldn't mind helping you actually build it. The only real "choosey" part of it all would be the likes of the case as it would need to please your eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Right, you want to game and stream, and have a €4,000 budget? Ok, just gonna ask, are you gonna upgrade next year when 16nm rolls out and monstrosities of GPUs rear their heads? Because they are the only true 4K GPUs.
    In terms of CPUs and RAM, a Core i7 Skylake 6700K will be plenty. You don't want to bother with X99 systems, because they are more workstation geared.
    GPUs this year are pretty cool, but expensive for what they do. For 4K, CrossFire 390X are pretty damn good, with 8GB of VRAM if you ever want to add AA. Note that whilst you could always SLI 980Ti's or XFire Fury Xs, they are not worth the money when the 390X XFire beats them for about €40 more.
    Cases are purely aesthetic, (obviously functional, but most €100+ are good all-rounders) but the NZXT Phantom series, Corsair 780T or CoolerMaster Stacker series are all good ones.
    Power Supplies are basically; Find one that has 1K Watts, and 80+ Gold effeciency. Done. Corsair's RMI, Cooler Master's VGM and EVGA's Supernovas are all goodies.
    RAM wise, 32GB DDR4 is overkill, but futureproof enough to allow streaming and gaming. Heck even 16GB is good enough.

I'm not saying, "Don't build a super expensive but OMG SO MUCH POWA PC", but you can always be smart with your money. Use the savings on things like....games, or monitors, or peripherals.
    So again,

Core i7 6700K
    Liquid CPU cooler
    Crossfire R9 390Xs or SLI GTX980s
    16-32GB DDR4 RAM
    500 GB SSD (for your boot drive and games on Origin)
    500 GB SSD (For your Steam Library. Or maybe get a 2TB HDD for more room)
    2 TB HDD (For your edited vids or your games)
    1K Watt PSU
    Have fun

quote="Eoinmc97;97979082"]Right, you want to game and stream, and have a €4,000 budget? Ok, just gonna ask, are you gonna upgrade next year when 16nm rolls out and monstrosities of GPUs rear their heads? Because they are the only true 4K GPUs.
    In terms of CPUs and RAM, a Core i7 Skylake 6700K will be plenty. You don't want to bother with X99 systems, because they are more workstation geared.
    GPUs this year are pretty cool, but expensive for what they do. For 4K, CrossFire 390X are pretty damn good, with 8GB of VRAM if you ever want to add AA. Note that whilst you could always SLI 980Ti's or XFire Fury Xs, they are not worth the money when the 390X XFire beats them for about €40 more.
    Cases are purely aesthetic, (obviously functional, but most €100+ are good all-rounders) but the NZXT Phantom series, Corsair 780T or CoolerMaster Stacker series are all good ones.
    Power Supplies are basically; Find one that has 1K Watts, and 80+ Gold effeciency. Done. Corsair's RMI, Cooler Master's VGM and EVGA's Supernovas are all goodies.
    RAM wise, 32GB DDR4 is overkill, but futureproof enough to allow streaming and gaming. Heck even 16GB is good enough.

I'm not saying, "Don't build a super expensive but OMG SO MUCH POWA PC", but you can always be smart with your money. Use the savings on things like....games, or monitors, or peripherals.
    So again,

Core i7 6700K
    Liquid CPU cooler
    16-32GB DDR4 RAM
    1K Watt PSU
    Have fun[/quote]

Thanks. When I sent a request for quote in scans website I had wat u said there for cpu etc and this is wat they emailed back:

Skylake is quad core with dual channel memory and 16 PCIE lanes

Haswell E is up to 8 cores with quad channel memory and 40 PCIE lanes

The specs just don't compare. If you're spending €5000 it should be X99/Haswell E standard, which offers lots more performance for the money. Skylake is the 'every day' computing platform for home users and light gamers. Heavy gamers, 4K enthusiasts, VR gaming etc is all best enjoyed on X99.

quote="Eoinmc97;97979082"]Right, you want to game and stream, and have a €4,000 budget? Ok, just gonna ask, are you gonna upgrade next year when 16nm rolls out and monstrosities of GPUs rear their heads? Because they are the only true 4K GPUs.

So again,

Core i7 6700K
    Liquid CPU cooler
    16-32GB DDR4 RAM
    1K Watt PSU
    Have fun[/quote]

Thanks. When I sent a request for quote in scans website I had wat u said there for cpu etc and this is wat they emailed back:

The specs just don't compare. If you're spending €5000 it should be X99/Haswell E standard, which offers lots more performance for the money. Skylake is the 'every day' computing platform for home users and light gamers. Heavy gamers, 4K enthusiasts, VR gaming etc is all best enjoyed on X99.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Useless information, a Skylake is more than enough for any gaming.

Pushing 4k requires no more CPU power than pushing 720p, so that's a stupid comment off the bat.

In most cases a Haswell i3 won't bottleneck a Titan, so heavy gaming requiring a X99 i7 is nonsense.

VR is the only thing reasonably influenced by CPU there, but there's no way a Skylake i7 won't be enough. Are you even interested in VR?

They're correct in saying that of offers more performance for the money, its just that none of the performance will be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

Useless information, a Skylake is more than enough for any gaming.

Pushing 4k requires no more CPU power than pushing 720p, so that's a stupid comment off the bat.

In most cases a Haswell i3 won't bottleneck a Titan, so heavy gaming requiring a X99 i7 is nonsense.

VR is the only thing reasonably influenced by CPU there, but there's no way a Skylake i7 won't be enough. Are you even interested in VR?

They're correct in saying that of offers more performance for the money, its just that none of the performance will be used.

Not really useless. The most imporant thing is the PCI lanes for a high end system like that. If he was going with dual 980ti's then they will be limited by the PCI bandwidth on the Skylake system. Especially if you want an M.2 SSD as well. X99 is definitely the way to go and it doesn't even cost much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

BloodBath wrote: »
    Not really useless. The most imporant thing is the PCI lanes for a high end system like that. If he was going with dual 980ti's then they will be limited by the PCI bandwidth on the Skylake system. Especially if you want an M.2 SSD as well. X99 is definitely the way to go and it doesn't even cost much more.

There are currently no cards who are bottlenecked by x16/x8 set-ups, let alone x8/x8. Just look at the scaling the Fury X has in QuadFire set-ups against the 980ti and the Titan X. X99 is not the way to go when Z170 does it just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's true, but if you add an M.2 drive in there, one of the cards will get bumped to x4, and that does have a noticeable impact. Also if you add a sound card, etc.

lol i caused a debate, good to know the advice i got of scan was bull**** well at least some of it was.

I like L s suggestion of buying good pc right now for under 3k then upgrade when new tech comes out, well maybe a bit after it comes out as im sure it ll be crazy price at first. the next question i have is where to buy all the hardware etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

quote="Eoinmc97;97979082"]

10 cores 20 threads in late Q2, and stay on the X99 platform

my mistake thought you mentioned broadwell e

For the sake of saving maybe €50-100 on the board with a budget this high why would you not go for a 5820k X99 build over a skylake i7. It makes no sense. The saving is negligible.

At least you have the bandwidth for future cards and the option of adding an m.2 ssd and/or soundcard as well as a massive 2 extra cores and 4 extra threads.

Also if you want to stream cpu intensive games the extra core/threads will serve you well.

ok guys, how many say x99 and how many skylake, cause im starting to get confused what ta go with now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

x99, you still have upgrade path with broadwell e coming late next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'd go x99 as well. 5820k with even a mild overclock is a sweet chip which'd blast through gaming and streaming at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

BloodBath raises a good point I guess, given the pricing difference is so low on this budget. Never though of the M2 SSDs either. X99, feck it :D

Advertisement