Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top of the range gaming and streaming pc

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

If you are serious about getting into streaming then my advice would be to build a rig now for e1,200-e1,500 and build a second rig next year when the next gen of GPUs roll out. Your first rig will be then become your backup machine for when things break (which they will) and also serve as your video editing and processing rig. 4k is still aways off for mass adoption so dont blow all your budget on one rig. All of the top streamers operate a 2 rig setup for these reasons. Just remember us when you get famous and give us your cast offs from your yearly upgrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

This is all just theory. A person actually interested in being a streamer would do as you say and put the rest into AV equipment and startup funding to advertise and do stuff like prize draws to attract attention. A giant 5k PC isn't going to pull in viewers. Fun discussion to read, but completely impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

^Good points from Xenoronon and fouro.
    If you can find an X99 CPU within €30 of the Core i7 then fire away. The cost increase comes from the motherboards, as X99 boards often splurge on....well fluff really. Besides, Single GPU set-ups are usually better handled by Devs than 2 GPUs (Just Cause 3 anyone?). Not to mention that Broadwell-E WILL NOT fit on the X99 boards, so you'll be putting that system to rest if you upgrade.
    The thing about a large budget, is to future proof things, such as your PSU, your peripherals and monitors, cases etc. DDR4 RAM will be here to stay for awhile, so your best off getting that.

A Dual rig idea is pretty functional, so I'd do that. You don't need to buy another High-Res monitor, because the second one could be just a workstation PC. An X99 system would be better here, as a mega-powerful GPU won't be utilised when editing and processing. Have an SSD RAID here so your speeds are pretty fast.
    The Skylake system then would house your GPUs (I don't see why anyone would bother with sound cards, seeing as the included motherboard ones are pretty good anyway), and a smaller SSD and a HDD for game storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    ^Good points from Xenoronon and fouro.
    If you can find an X99 CPU within €30 of the Core i7 then fire away. The cost increase comes from the motherboards, as X99 boards often splurge on....well fluff really. Besides, Single GPU set-ups are usually better handled by Devs than 2 GPUs (Just Cause 3 anyone?). Not to mention that Broadwell-E WILL NOT fit on the X99 boards, so you'll be putting that system to rest if you upgrade.
    The thing about a large budget, is to future proof things, such as your PSU, your peripherals and monitors, cases etc. DDR4 RAM will be here to stay for awhile, so your best off getting that.

A Dual rig idea is pretty functional, so I'd do that. You don't need to buy another High-Res monitor, because the second one could be just a workstation PC. An X99 system would be better here, as a mega-powerful GPU won't be utilised when editing and processing. Have an SSD RAID here so your speeds are pretty fast.
    The Skylake system then would house your GPUs (I don't see why anyone would bother with sound cards, seeing as the included motherboard ones are pretty good anyway), and a smaller SSD and a HDD for game storage.

lga 2011 v3 socket for broadwell e

• Registered Users Posts: 47 seanjoyce21

@Xenoronin what about someone who just wants to have some fun with streaming and enjoy life not taking everything so seriously??

• Advertisement

Then you aren't treating streaming as a job, which it is if you want to get anywhere. Doesn't take a lot of research to look at the popular streamers and see how they do it. They sacrifice a lot to please viewers such as working long days and nights. It is a full time job and more to get video edits alone out there to youtube (unless you can afford a video editor to do this, or just don't do it).

If your idea is just to have fun and stream occasionally for friends, then that's perfectly fine, heavily in the enthusiast area, but still fine and spend your money how you see fit. I'm just saying this isn't the approach a person that wanted this to be their livelihood would have.

alot of the top gaming streamers did it for fun in the beginning! they never planned it as a job back then, and im pretty sure i never said i was doing it for a job, so i dunno why ure calling "just theory" and "completely impractical" because i DO want a gaming pc and i DO want to try do some streaming!! on top of all that its completely impractical for me to plan long term due to my condition!

so anyway after that rant, i guess the only advice i need next is where to by all the parts guys?

really appreciate the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Everyone has different bugets, spend what you have dont worry about what people are saying just enjoy it when you get it.

Just take the advice what gives you an upgrade path and what works with what

But as i pointed out X99 has lots of life left before skylake e ? im not even sure what the next code name is and i didnt find find a start date for it either,but i double checked and broadwell e will be on x99 chip set up with up to 10 cores 20 threads 140w coming late next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

the only advice i need next is where to by all the parts guys?

PC innards from mindfactory.de, case & monitor & peripherals from wherever else but it's probable that Amazon would be the cheapest and/or be within a few euro so it'd be worth it to have the best after-sale service by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Get the whole lot from amazon I'd say, they're great for returns and you don't need to save a few euro with mindfsctory given your budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

In fairness it's not like you will have any need to upgrade an overclocked 5820k for the next 4-5 years anyway so having a CPU upgrade path on that socket is completely irrelevant. Upgrade paths are only relevant when buying low end, not the top end.

Especially when the performance gains between generations is only around 8-10%.

alot of the top gaming streamers did it for fun in the beginning! they never planned it as a job back then, and im pretty sure i never said i was doing it for a job, so i dunno why ure calling "just theory" and "completely impractical" because i DO want a gaming pc and i DO want to try do some streaming!! on top of all that its completely impractical for me to plan long term due to my condition!

so anyway after that rant, i guess the only advice i need next is where to by all the parts guys?

really appreciate the help guys!

Fair enough. I made an incorrect assumption based on the fact that you want to stream with this, and the amount you are willing to spend, so I'm sorry about that. I do stand by my reasoning that this is overspending on a PC though, but that's just my opinion because I don't believe that anything over 2k has much of a benefit for the average person.

If you want luxury, just make sure to splash the cash on a screen that delivers, the PC the guys are recommending here will easily push the best screens. The youtuber LinusTechTips does some great reviews and this playlist is pretty great for looking at current best monitors.

A nice seat is also pretty great. Just got a NeedForSeat Maxnomic chair there last week. Loving it so far. A load of people recommend the herman miller aeron though so that's an alternative.

Definitely look at mechanical keyboards. There is loads to look into but the Corsair RGB range is pretty swanky. I personally like Red switches without the bump and noise, others like the Blues with all the clickiness. Browns are like the son of blue and red. Not clicky, but still have a bump.

I like the Razor Deathadder as a mouse. A more expensive option would be the Razor Mamba. Logitech are also recommended with their Gaming series line.

Go wireless for a headset. I've found being tethered to my desk to be a little bit more annoying when I want to lean back in my chair. The steelseries siberia 800 seems to be the high end option at the moment. Corsair and Turtle Beach do wireless headsets for cheaper but still very good quality.

@Xenoronin i cant get a chair cause im wheelchair bound, the best way i can explain my spending that amount on pc is for me the pc will be the equivalent to a car for your average person, im on it 24/7 pretty much. appreciate the apology,

thanks for all the suggestions, ive the razor tiama headset at moment, but ill def get those keyboards and mouse. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

you could go on scan uk and spec one up safe you building in and overclocking it they do it all for you . just an option they do good stuff and have a top class customer service dept

choose the base spec and spec it up how you like . just messed about with it there you can get an insane spec with your budget

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/gaming/overclocked-pcs#anc

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

My advice to you would be to spend enough to get yourself to bleeding edge right now. maybe a 6700k, 16gb ram, a nice m2 ssd, and 980ti and then as and when new gpu's come out upgrade as you feel the need. that above will run everything maxed out for a long time at 1440p. Also I'd recommend a asus pg279q monitor. 1440p 165hz gsync..... its roughly 900 or so but i just picked one up and i find its worth every penny.

Dunno if this stuff has already been recommended I just glanced over some of the previous posts. Also by doing it this way your 5k will keep you at the bleeding edge for a hell of alot longer. probably be able to rebuild 3 times over in the coming years if you sell the old ones well.

ok thanks guys, everyones been mega helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

@Xenoronin i cant get a chair cause im wheelchair bound, the best way i can explain my spending that amount on pc is for me the pc will be the equivalent to a car for your average person, im on it 24/7 pretty much. appreciate the apology,

thanks for all the suggestions, ive the razor tiama headset at moment, but ill def get those keyboards and mouse. thanks

Hope streaming works out for you. Can be a very lucrative career if you catch the right break. Bit of a wild west at the moment, but damn wish that sort of money was around when I was playing WC3 :D

I guess the obvious thing to point out, from your original post, what actual internet speed do you have?

My PC is probably valued at a fraction of what you will spend, but I can stream 720p 60fps comfortably. And worth remembering Twitch(the main streaming sites for gaming) has an actual restriction on the quality it will accept, which I believe is 720p at 60fps. Partners can output slightly more.

Just something to take into consideration :)

If I had your budget, I'd proabably put 1.5-2k into a new rig now, and park the rest for upgrades in a year or two when the new technology has time to come out, go through issues and get stable.

I'd never adopt new technology immediately, final straw was SSD technology :D

just wanted to say thanks to all the advice on waiting for pascal etc....im delighted that i waited. cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

You must wait longer Sean, for Vega! XD

Advertisement