Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with format

Options
  • 01-12-2015 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

I am having multiple issues with my computer at the moment and it's a real pain in the ass.

I purchased BF4 on release and I have always had problems with it "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". I wasn't too bothered as it was only ever happening with BF4. I have now purchased Fallout 4 and I am getting the same issues with it about 30 seconds into the game.

I followed the instructions from microsoft, by chaning the registery. I have the latest drivers. I ran the game in lowest graphics and I have optimised the settings via NVIDIA GeForce Experience.

My next step is to format the HD. I have a second SSD which I have installed windows 7 on, but this has created further problems. As with any format I do, I download all the drivers I need for the install. Unfortunately my computer does not recognise the wireless dongle, despite installing the latest drivers. The graphics card is not recognised and the drivers fail to install. I think the message is something along the lines of "Drivers could not be installed". I tried a custom install, full install, system reset etc.

Can anybody help me with these issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

What make and model of graphics card?

Have you tried a full system restore? The format you perform on the HDD, is this actually a system restore? Post isn't very clear about the steps you have performed so I'm just going to go through a general troubleshooting rundown.

This assumes you are going to perform a full system reinstall.

1. Get a USB Stick and download all the relevant drivers. Make sure to download the correct one for 32 or 64bit, windows version and model you have of graphics card, wireless, etc.
    2. Use Ninite to create an installer for all the usual programs you would install after a windows reinstall and put that on the USB Stick too.
    3. Bitdefender has managed to catch viruses causing issues for two people I know so it has bumped up my recommended list a lot recently. Grab a copy of that for your anti virus solution.
    4. Save any docs you have to onedrive or dropbox or externally.
    5. You can backup your steamapps folder if you don't want to redownload all your games.
    6. Shut down the PC and insert your boot device media (USB or CD)
    7. Format the hard drive and reinstall windows.
    8. Install the drivers and then the apps.

Still having issues?

Look into BIOS updates.
    Reseat your graphics card.
    Check google for people having similar issues with your make and model of graphics card. There may be others out there with similar issues that can recommend an older driver version that will solve your issue.
    Make sure your graphics card is in the correct slot. There are sometimes more than one PCI-E 3.0 slot on a motherboard, make sure you have the graphics card in the correct one.
    Try a different output on the graphics card... highly unlikely to be an issue, but maybe one of the DVI, HDMI or DP outputs has issues and simply swapping could help.
    Make sure your PSU is supplying enough power? This should take down the whole PC if this was actually a problem but we are grasping at straws here.
    Check your GPU temps. Since it happens 30seconds in it is unlikely to be an issue, but no harm in checking.

Advertisement