Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New TV has no scarth connection for UPC

• 02-12-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought a new Samsung 48" 4k tv which has no scarth connection , so in setting it up i see a scarth lead runs from the UPC box into the back of the old TV .... How do i connect the UPC box to the new tv ?? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Cb9

Use a HDMI cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If your UPC box is indeed ancient, and only has a scart connection, the TV post likely will have the yellow/red&white phono connections. If so, you can use a "scart to phono out adapter", and connect the phono leads to the TV. But the quality will be poop.

So if your box doesn't have HDMI, so yourself a favour, and get a box with a HDMI connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Your TV is capable of a max pixel resolution of 3840 × 2160 and you want to put a scart ( max resolution of 576i) into it? That would be akin to wiring a vhs player in to it!
    the_syco wrote: »
    is 100% correct in saying get a hdmi (HD) box

I would say it's your only opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

So, it turns out I cant get an updated box with HDMI as we only have standard broadband ....not the superfast fibre broadband !!! I live in a rural area of north kildare. Sooo, it seems my only option is get a Scart to HDMI converter !!! ....or else return the telly ...... Shops should advise customers they need high speed broadband before they commit to 4K tv's .....!!! Rant over ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Shops should advise customers they need high speed broadband before they commit to 4K tv's .....!!! Rant over ..

People should do the research before buying high end TVs.

You bought a 4K TV to connect to a cable TV box with a SCART socket and you have no way of getting a 4K feed cause your broadband is too slow. And it's someone else's fault. :rolleyes: Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You're Tv should have came with an adaptor.
    My Samsung did anyway.

coylemj wrote: »
    People should do the research before buying high end TVs.

You bought a 4K TV to connect to a cable TV box with a SCART socket and you have no way of getting a 4K feed cause your broadband is too slow. And it's someone else's fault. :rolleyes: Rant over.

Resolution this, HDMI that, scart leads ..fibre broadband etc, etc ... Its all very well if you're a techie anorak who understands this jargon ... All i want is a nice tv with a sharp picture !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Resolution this, HDMI that, scart leads ..fibre broadband etc, etc ... Its all very well if you're a techie anorak who understands this jargon ... All i want is a nice tv with a sharp picture !!!

Change to sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well, I'm afraid your out of luck getting a sharp picture on a 48" tv with or without a scart connection, from your UPC box that only does scart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

You must be on MMDS which is been shut down early next year.

Switch to Sky HD, should get a good deal as a new customer.

• Advertisement

This is the reponse i got back from Virgin media.

Hi there,

We wouldn't be able to provide a HDMI box in this case as your area is not HD capable on our service, this would also rule out broadband services.

We don't have a release date for HD or broadband to the area but if that changes we'll let you know.

Thanks,

blade1 wrote: »
    You're Tv should have came with an adaptor.
    My Samsung did anyway.

What kind of adapter did you get .." Scart to phono out adapter" ... Or Scart to HDMI converter ?

What kind of adapter did you get .." Scart to phono out adapter" ... Or Scart to HDMI converter ?

Scart to hdmi.
    There's about 3 inches of cable between the 2 ends.
    You sure it's not in the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hi there,

We wouldn't be able to provide a HDMI box in this case as your area is not HD capable on our service, this would also rule out broadband services.

We don't have a release date for HD or broadband to the area but if that changes we'll let you know.

Thanks,

I'd assume with that box that you're well out of contract with them. Just tell them you want to cancel, I'd wager they'll offer you some incentives to stay a customer - I'd push for a new HDMI enabled box as one of them. If not, go to sky.

blade1 wrote: »
    Scart to hdmi.
    There's about 3 inches of cable between the 2 ends.
    You sure it's not in the box?

Like this
    163ECF4E-23FC-4477-B871-6F924CCADD60_zpsblp556hq.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

theteal wrote: »
    I'd assume with that box that you're well out of contract with them. Just tell them you want to cancel, I'd wager they'll offer you some incentives to stay a customer - I'd push for a new HDMI enabled box as one of them. If not, go to sky.

Don't think you can get HDMI boxes on MMDS.

I called to Maplin Electronics in blanch this morning to get a 'Scart to HDMI converter" priced at €60 , but they were out of stock , so the shop assistant said another option is "Scart to Phono out adapter" which i bought ..... So i got home, connected it up , looking forward to watching any TV on the new telly ...and an error code 114 shows on the screen ...." Make sure the UPC card is facing upwards in the box" ......which it is ..... GGGGGgggggrrrr !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,944 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you are putting a SCART signal into a 4k TV, gotta warn you now, be prepared to be disappointed with the picture you're going to get.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@sugarman,

I've snipped your posts above, please drop the "sh*** and Bull****" comments, its completely inappropriate here. This is supposed to be a friendly place where people can get advice from Boardies who have some advice to offer about home entertainment matters.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hi there,

Thanks,

Switch to sky then or use Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

sugarman wrote: »
    It was aimed at UPC/Virgin media, not the poster. Having had the same issue as the OP recently I'm tired of them lieing to their customers.

Mod Comment

It doesn't matter who it was aimed at, you're being asked to moderate the language you use in your posts here. Feel free to pm me for clarification if necessary, no need to continue a discussion on this thread.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Isn't it up to you to know what service you can receive in your area and buy an appropriate television. A content provider can't know what television you have so it is up to the customer to do a little of the work.
    Traditionally unless you are living in a large urban area your television/internet options have been limited so it's not always wise to go out and buy the biggest piece of kit just because you can, you need to know what service you get in your given area.

I recently upgraded from a 11 year old HD Ready television to a new full HD set. 4K never really came into the picture as most of UPC stuff is broadcast in standard definition so I can imagine it'll be a long time before we start seeing regular 4K content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

.... I can imagine it'll be a long time before we start seeing regular 4K content.

+1 It will most likely arrive first via Netflix or some other IPTV service, provided you have the bandwidth to receive it. Terrestrial and UPC will be a long wait.

Advertisement