Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Science Degree @ UL?

• 02-12-2015 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey, I'm looking at going into UL to do my computer science degree, I'd prefer to do masters, I spoke with 1 adult who did CS at ul and he's now a team manager at IBM, he didn't speak much about the course, but he said the employment rate is decent, and that the link to companies is too.

But I want to make sure since things change as time moves on, so here are some questions i'd like to get some answers for :D

- What is your opinion of the course? languages done?
    - What are the facilities like for cs?
    - Does a cs degree in UL have a good employment appearance?
    - How well is UL linked with companies?
    - What are the maths like in terms of difficulty or compared to the leaving cert in the course.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Hezip wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking at going into UL to do my computer science degree, I'd prefer to do masters, I spoke with 1 adult who did CS at ul and he's now a team manager at IBM, he didn't speak much about the course, but he said the employment rate is decent, and that the link to companies is too.

But I want to make sure since things change as time moves on, so here are some questions i'd like to get some answers for :D

- What is your opinion of the course? languages done?
    - What are the facilities like for cs?
    - Does a cs degree in UL have a good employment appearance?
    - How well is UL linked with companies?
    - What are the maths like in terms of difficulty or compared to the leaving cert in the course.

I do Computer Games, which a related course so I can offer some answers to your questions.

1. I won't give an opinion on the course, but the languages covered are mainly Java, touching on C and C++. You'll come in contact with other languages to a lesser extent (Perl and Python most likely), but Java is really the core language that's taught in UL.

2. Facilities are excellent. The Computer Science department has its own building with a dedicated IT infrastructure that's separate from the rest of the college. Only CSIS students can log in to the PCs there, so you'll rarely ever be without access to a PC when you need one. (PCs are also far better than in the rest of the college too). There's also the ICT centre that's there to help out if you ever have difficulties with projects or course work.

3. I would say yes. Everything I've heard suggests that degrees from UL are attractive to employers because of the Co-Op programme. It's a huge advantage we have over other colleges that we come out of here with 9 months experience under our belts.

4. Pretty good. I've mentioned the Co-op programme, so there's links through that, companies like IBM are a part of the FYP setup as they offer prizes, and attendance from companies at project demo days is pretty high too. (This is just the impression I get. I could very well be mistaken as I don't know the internal politics that goes on here)

5. Mathwise, I personally feel it's easier than Leaving Cert level. I did Pass for the LC (would have failed Honours) and I never really struggled with the maths side of things. If you've a good grasp of probability, statistics, calculus and vectors (this last one might just be for us) you'll be fine.

Advertisement