Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Reasonably priced good quality toddler shoes?

• 02-12-2015 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

We have been bad parents and have been sticking regular cheap tesco shoes on our little boy instead of the ridiculously expensive clarks ones :o The most recent pair I got him seem to hurt his feet, the soles are quite hard and he complains if he is out walking for any length of time in them :( I want to get him some decent shoes, maybe one pair of comfy runners and one pair of 'good' shoes. Where can I go that won't cost an absolute fortune? Is there any chance I'd get away with buying them online or will I have to go into a shop and have him measured etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We go to Kubus in Coolmine Industrial Estate near Blanchardstown. We've been going there for over a year and are very happy with the shoes. It's all Polish brands but a pair of she's costs about €35 and winter boots about €45. I think she gives 10% on every 3rd pair. All the shoes have fitted arch support which is important for us as our son has very flat feet. Clarks shoes gave zero support. We used to go to Cripps but honestly with 2 kids needing shoes we couldn't justify the cost. They are an excellent shop though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

TKMaxx sometimes can be a good spot; I've bought a pair of Hush Puppies in there and a pair of winter boots (got him measured in Clarks first) It's hit and miss though. I must look at Kubus, I'm near Coolmine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Mrspostman clarks sale started on tuesday. If you go on uk you will see what's reduced. Only the bigger clarks are having the sale on toddlers eg on southside of dublin liffey valley and tallaght. I was in Dundrum and even though they had the styles they were't reduced. I find clarks staff nice but terrible!!!

I have to say cripps in terenure is so expensive. My OH got all his shoes there. I am not mad on the staff and they were not very nice the last time when they realised he still fit in to his shoes so we wouldn't be buying any!! I now buy my boy's shoes in victor dwyers in drogheda. They sell every brand you can think of ecco, clarks, geox, startrite, pablosky, ricosta etc. I got "leo" start rite shoes for €26 in the summer sale whereas they are €45ish in cripps at the mo! They are fantastic and for me it's worth the drive. I think I only got 10% off.

You can get great deals online if you know shoesize....brantano, jonesbootmakers, purpletag.ie and
    https://www.shoesforkids.co.uketc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Sketchers Runners are €40 and are very very comfy with memory foam insole and can be washed in the washing machine. my 3 yr old loves his

OP are you near a Paul Byron shoes? They are doing a very good sale. They deliver for €5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I get shoes in Clarks and Paul Byron. They have a wide price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm not near a Paul Byron unfortunately :( I tried to go into my local kid's shoe shop yesterday but my buggy wouldn't fit in the door so that put me right off :rolleyes: Heading to tkmaxx later so I'll have a nosey there and see if they have anything. I was fairly wary of spending any amount on the shoes up until now because he was outgrowing them so fast but I'm joping he has slowed down a bit now :o

I'm not near a Paul Byron unfortunately :( I tried to go into my local kid's shoe shop yesterday but my buggy wouldn't fit in the door so that put me right off :rolleyes: Heading to tkmaxx later so I'll have a nosey there and see if they have anything. I was fairly wary of spending any amount on the shoes up until now because he was outgrowing them so fast but I'm joping he has slowed down a bit now :o

I always find shoe shops hectic when we go. We always have to queue to get measured. My guy is still in his shoes since July!!! I have been back to get them checked and they said they still fit! He has wide feet so don't think dunnes etc are an option. He is in a 7g in starttrite. He is a h width in clarks. wellies are an 8. I was going to bring him this weekend to get measured but he is sick :(

I find different places measure differently. We went to clarks and victor dwyers on the same day and were 2 different sizes :eek: in dwyers they say there should be top of thumb gap where clarks will measure smaller! Also starttrite are bigger fittings than clarks.

My friend who has a 3 year old buys "new balance" runners for him and shoes in next. She said next ones are great. You could use a €15 off coupon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

just a note on where i am coming from on shoes: i am VERY fussy about my childs shoes, as a child i was always put in "cheap" (aka penny's/dunnes) shoes and as a direct result of that i have deformities in my toes,

so with my own child i insisted on putting her in the right good shoes at the right size (width and length) always, some broke months i'd dip into her child benefit to do this or she'd wait until it was paid before we could buy her new shoes (usually one runners and/or one shoe shoes a month, sometimes we'd get almost half a year with a pair depending on her growth spurts), like you we found Clarks extremely expensive AND the staff there were so busy they didn't exactly have time for patience which you need when sizing toddlers.

by chance i found a shop that stocked Clarks in ballincollig in Cork, they were patient, cheaper (you may be buying last season's stock but nor me or my toddler cares) and they offer a buy 6 get 7th free promotion, not only that but some of the pairs i've bought i've only paid €15 - €20 for, (even getting the 7th €40 pair free).

i'd recommend you look at shop's who stock them in your area and see if there are any like the above, as like most expensive things there are cheaper way's to get them :)

i hope this helps you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

We go to Kubus in Coolmine Industrial Estate near Blanchardstown. We've been going there for over a year and are very happy with the shoes. It's all Polish brands but a pair of she's costs about €35 and winter boots about €45. I think she gives 10% on every 3rd pair. All the shoes have fitted arch support which is important for us as our son has very flat feet.

I've never actually bought from there yet but I went in for a nosey after it was recommended to me by a few different people. They've a great selection!

• Advertisement

Mrspostman there is an extra 10% off jonesbootmakers this weekend use code EXTRA10.
    I am ordering these clarks slippers for £6.30 https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/clarks-slippers-closed-slipper-2194403329
    And these starttrite shoes £12.60
    https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/start-rite-trainers-out-of-school-shoes-velcro-fastner-shoe-2112201622
    P+p is £4 to Northern Ireland and use parcel wizard for free. Total is less than €32

I went to tkmaxx and picked up a pair of dc hi tops for him that seem comfy enough so they will do for now. Millem those slippers look fab! My lad usually just goes around the house in socks/bare feet but we saw a pair of dragon slippers in dunnes last week and he was mad for them so we got them for him. Got them home and put them on him and he was suddenly petrified of them, he stood on one foot, afraid to put the other down, roaring crying and pointing at the slipper. So now he will play with them as a toy but not wear them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Millem wrote: »
    Mrspostman there is an extra 10% off jonesbootmakers this weekend use code EXTRA10.
    I am ordering these clarks slippers for £6.30 https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/clarks-slippers-closed-slipper-2194403329
    And these starttrite shoes £12.60
    https://www.jonesbootmaker.com/start-rite-trainers-out-of-school-shoes-velcro-fastner-shoe-2112201622
    P+p is £4 to Northern Ireland and use parcel wizard for free. Total is less than €32

Millem, we bought those exact slippers for T about a year ago and found them awful quality. I ended up returning them. They were very wide and kept slipping off him. Bit not wide as in a wide sole... Kinda all wide around the sides and just not supportive at all. Maybe we just got a bad pair tho? But I wouldn't recommend them.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Millem, we bought those exact slippers for T about a year ago and found them awful quality. I ended up returning them. They were very wide and kept slipping off him. Bit not wide as in a wide sole... Kinda all wide around the sides and just not supportive at all. Maybe we just got a bad pair tho? But I wouldn't recommend them.

Really I thought all doodle slippers were the same? If not I won't order them! They are exactly the same as his "doodle" canvas shoes. Same sole etc I examined them in store as you can't really get the canvas ones this time of year :( N has very wide feet. I had planned on getting him super fit slippers in cripps but he went crazy when he had them on....I think they were too narrow for him as they are only an F in width. He has to wear slippers/indoors in minders ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Really I thought all doodle slippers were the same? They are exactly the same as his "doodle" canvas shoes. Same sole etc I exaamined them in store as you can't really get the canvas ones this time of year :( N has very wide feet. I had planned on getting him super fit slippers in cripps but he went crazy when he had them on....I think they were too narrow for him as they are only an F in width. He has to wear slippers/indoors in minders ;)

No Hun they are different. We had the doodle canvas shoes for him summer a year ago and I found them great for the warm weather. The slippers we bought we crap. But maybe I just picked up a very bad pair...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    No Hun they are different. We had the doodle canvas shoes for him summer a year ago and I found them great for the warm weather. The slippers we bought we crap. But maybe I just picked up a very bad pair...

Ok I won't order those ones so, just in case. The ones I saw are called "doodles" but are slippers you buy them in width sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

silly wrote: »
    Sketchers Runners are €40 and are very very comfy with memory foam insole and can be washed in the washing machine. my 3 yr old loves his

Lifestyle do these for €25 to €35.. Our kids love theirs and are both on their third pair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Where are you based roughly itd help with recconendations. I get Clarks for my daughter in the Clarks outlet in kildare village have never paid over 35 for a pair of shoes. Runners from 25 to 32. They have an ok range and although busy will measure for you if you're willing to wait a little.

I'm in Limerick and unfortunately, there isn't a huge selection of children's shoe shops here :( Even tkmaxx today had only 3-4 pairs of toddler shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We get Clarks for our kids 5&2.

We went down to their outlet in Kildare Village in August for school shoes and it was definitely worth the trip.
    A trip over the road to Kildare Farm Foods rounded it off with their free animal farm and paid train for the kids.
    Have lunch, get some shopping (great deals on meat - 2 racks of lamb €15) and head home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Ok I won't order those ones so, just in case. The ones I saw are called "doodles" but are slippers you buy them in width sizes.

We bought these for our guy a few weeks ago and they are great, last time he was measured he was 7 1/2 h in september so as he wasn't with us the girl recommended to go to an 8g and they are perfect, lovey and wide for his big boats, and aren't tight around his high arches, so maybe try them on, I couldn't be happier with them, as I had gone through 3pairs before finding these, all the other were too tight and super slippy.

Coopaloop wrote: »
    We bought these for our guy a few weeks ago and they are great, last time he was measured he was 7 1/2 h in september so as he wasn't with us the girl recommended to go to an 8g and they are perfect, lovey and wide for his big boats, and aren't tight around his high arches, so maybe try them on, I couldn't be happier with them, as I had gone through 3pairs before finding these, all the other were too tight and super slippy.

That's what I was thinking....he tried doodle slippers before and they were perfect! Not like the Superfit when he went crazy trying to get them off!! I love the sole on them! I had him measured in clarks during the last sale which was maybe Octoberish and he was 7.5 so was going to order an 8. They only had girls ones in his size but said they were getting more in :( May actually even order a bigger size if I can he is still in his doodle canvas shoes in minders! For anyone who has a child with a normal width foot Superfit are perfect, not sloppy and very neat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Another vote here for Clarks in Kildare Village, paid 27 for what would normally be 45.

There is just no comparison to Clarks shoes for me, my son is 3.5 & the shoes always last at least 6-8mths, he does an awful lot of walking in them and he's very rough on shoes/clothes.

He doesn't have any other shoes, I just get the one pair and that's it other than wellies for puddles for the next 6 months or so.

Even for myself, I know Clarks shoes are generally ugly as sin but when I've been in jobs where I had to walk/stand a lot, they were a godsend and lasted ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Happy feet have a couple cheap hush puppies. I got my son's first pair for 31 eur http://www.happyfeet.ie/products/details/link-hp-grey/415 . Based in arklow and a couple of other places but also online.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

i know this isnt on the topic of shoes but cant seem to find appropriate thread. Do any of ye have toddlers (my little boy is 18months) that run instead of walk?? my little boy has been walking about 5 months but doesnt actaully walk, he runs everywhere! so is constantly falling over and banging his head! even if he is walking from sitting room to kitchen , he runs ,
    so im just looking on advice really on how to make him slow down and walk rather than run, he always has a bruise on his forhead because he is always falling from going everywhere too fast.. thanks

Advertisement