Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best charity shop to give too?

• 02-12-2015 11:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Dont want to be giving to pay directors and admin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I used to work for Oxfam Ireland and at the time our policy was that over 90% of what we earned as a whole in the year went to overseas work. Everything else, salaries, running costs and campaigning work was to come from under 10% of what was raised. (That's not counting emergency appeal donations 100% of which goes directly to aid work.) Our head offices were basically a few really utilitarian rooms above a cafe in Dublin and above one of the shops in Belfast. Costs were really kept to a minimum. By comparison I worked for a UK charity few years later and could only bear it for a few months as I could see too much money wastage, with flashy offices, company cars for the directors, unnecessary and expensive work trips away for staff like me and glossy leaflets published for all public facing staff that 'justified' that spending.. I moved onto another UK charity which was better but still nowhere near as efficient as Oxfam Ireland. I can't say for sure what they are like now but back when I was working for them, they were as cost efficient as you can get. And their shops run like a well oiled machine (insofar as a business based on donations and staffed mainly by volunteers who work a few hours a week each can) and your donations will probably be used to raise as much money as they possibly can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Was thinking animal welfare or milford

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

How about Limerick Animal Welfare? They have two shops in town, one in Parnell st, and their kennels are out somewhere near Kilfinane. Have always been grateful for cat/dog food, supplies, other saleable items, or some financial help.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I would go for Limerick Animal Welfare. They do so much and heir budget is stretched and they love getting items to sell in their shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    I would go for Limerick Animal Welfare. They do so much and heir budget is stretched and they love getting items to sell in their shops.

I'm going to make an effort to help LAW this Christmas and in 2016.

I cancelled a direct debit I had with one of the big corporate charities and my efforts for this Christmas will be St.Vincent De Paul and as already mentioned, the animals. I feel with those two charities, more of my money will go to where I want it to go.

When I cancelled my dd with the well known 'corporate' charity about 18 months ago, they started phoning me regularly asking me to reconsider my decision, and even asking if I wouldn't reinstate my dd, would I give them a once-off donation. About two weeks ago when the again phoned, I asked them to remove my phone no. from their database and they promised they would, so hopefully I'm shut of them this time.

• Advertisement

tippman1 wrote: »
    I'm going to make an effort to help LAW this Christmas and in 2016.

I cancelled a direct debit I had with one of the big corporate charities and my efforts for this Christmas will be St.Vincent De Paul and as already mentioned, the animals. I feel with those two charities, more of my money will go to where I want it to go.

When I cancelled my dd with the well known 'corporate' charity about 18 months ago, they started phoning me regularly asking me to reconsider my decision, and even asking if I wouldn't reinstate my dd, would I give them a once-off donation. About two weeks ago when the again phoned, I asked them to remove my phone no. from their database and they promised they would, so hopefully I'm shut of them this time.

That's embarrassment. I don't think LAW would do that to anyone. They are definitely the best charity in Limerick to donate to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Do LAW have a dd account like dogs trust have, i think they'd get alot more funds if they had this in place.
    I've two bags that I'll probably be bringing into LAW, but I have to say I was very impressed with two of the charity shops in Upper William Street, both in terms of organisation of the clothes and the cleanliness. Think they were the blind charity and the place next door to it.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Do LAW have a dd account like dogs trust have, i think they'd get alot more funds if they had this in place.
    I've two bags that I'll probably be bringing into LAW, but I have to say I was very impressed with two of the charity shops in Upper William Street, both in terms of organisation of the clothes and the cleanliness. Think they were the blind charity and the place next door to it.

Check out this link

https://www.facebook.com/Limerick-Animal-Welfare-212914858726221/app/208195102528120/

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Picked up,what I guessed was, a stray off the street as he was running through traffic and had a few near misses. Rang LAW so I could pass him off to them, explained the situation and that I couldn't take him unfortunately.

I was told to take a picture of the dog and if I really couldn't take him to just drop him back onto the street and hope someone saw my picture on FB. Not sure what good that was supposed to do.

Hung up and took the dog to the Vets over by Cafe Waffe. Took the dog and had the owner alerted by the time I got home.

That, and the general tip that is the street outside LAW, I'd find somewhere else, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Picked up,what I guessed was, a stray off the street as he was running through traffic and had a few near misses. Rang LAW so I could pass him off to them, explained the situation and that I couldn't take him unfortunately.

I was told to take a picture of the dog and if I really couldn't take him to just drop him back onto the street and hope someone saw my picture on FB. Not sure what good that was supposed to do.

Hung up and took the dog to the Vets over by Cafe Waffe. Took the dog and had the owner alerted by the time I got home.

That, and the general tip that is the street outside LAW, I'd find somewhere else, OP.
    Well that is bollix to be honest. Because I've been in the charity shop on Parnell St when someone walked in with a puppy and they told the person to bring the dog to O'Dwyer Vet on Henry St and they'd hold them for a short while at least. You could have brought the dog to Limerick Pound, where even Dogs trust collect dogs. I really don't think LAW would tell you to put the dog back on the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Mc Love wrote: »
    Well that is bollix to be honest. Because I've been in the charity shop on Parnell St when someone walked in with a puppy and they told the person to bring the dog to O'Dwyer Vet on Henry St and they'd hold them for a short while at least. You could have brought the dog to Limerick Pound, where even Dogs trust collect dogs. I really don't think LAW would tell you to put the dog back on the streets

How I wish it was bollox. Alas, it is not. The guy that answered the phone had a "what do you expect me to do about it" attitude. It disappointed me as I've had very good encounters with rescue groups etc in Tipp and this was my first real engagement with one in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

bigpink wrote: »
    Dont want to be giving to pay directors and admin

Maybe save some for a few English classes if you've any to spare. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

How I wish it was bollox. Alas, it is not. The guy that answered the phone had a "what do you expect me to do about it" attitude. It disappointed me as I've had very good encounters with rescue groups etc in Tipp and this was my first real engagement with one in Limerick.

This was one person you spoke to. Don't let it sour your opinion of the whole group. They do great work. Worth remembering that their kennels are not infinite. There comes a point when they cannot take anymore dogs/cats in. Not their fault. It's just not safe for the dogs and can stress them (the dogs) out. That's why they sometimes ask people to hold onto the dogs.

They recommend bringing to a vet to have the dog scanned for a chip which sounds like what happened when you brought the dog to the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I would suggest Adapt (shop across from ptsb on sarsfield st)

Or Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I would suggest Adapt (shop across from ptsb on sarsfield st)

Or Law

I'm also one for Adapt or LAW. Both are amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Sadly I had a similar experience when I rang them over a clearly in distressed dog I came across that I couldn't take home.

I would go with Adapt on Parnell Street, or Milford Hospice on Thomas Street, both of those really do help people in need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

There's a new shop for the Simon Community opening on Roches Street next week.

Might be a nice idea to support them while they get up and running :)

Advertisement