Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling 3 mobile contract (what happens)

Options
  • 02-12-2015 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'm on bill pay since August with 3 it's the first time I done bill pay and the only reason I done it is because my last phone was stole on me and I couldn't afford to buy a new one as I need a good one for work.

Ever since I've being with them it has being a disaster one problem after another from getting overcharged to the coverage being awful. It practically doesn't connect to the Internet at all in my job. Every time I talk to them I just get passed around to another person after every reply and have to start again.

I don't owe them any money I've paid all my bills and they took a 250 deposit off me. I'm just wondering what would happen if I cancelled and gave the phone back and let them keep the 250 deposit. I know I signed the contract an all so I'm just wondering what will happen. I'm looking for a loan for a holiday off the credit union next year so if it affects my credit rating I won't do it Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You can't just cancel it without their agreement as you committed to the contract in August. They could bill you for each month's subscription you still owe

If the experience is as bad as you say, then register a formal complaint with them (and Comreg if that fails) and ask to exit the contract without penalty because of the overcharging and poor coverage.
    Assuming they agree, they may indeed ask for the phone back but you should get whatever you paid towards it and your deposit back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You can't just cancel it without their agreement as you committed to the contract in August. They could bill you for each month's subscription you still owe

If the experience is as bad as you say, then register a formal complaint with them (and Comreg if that fails) and ask to exit the contract without penalty because of the overcharging and poor coverage.
    Assuming they agree, they may indeed ask for the phone back but you should get whatever you paid towards it and your deposit back as well.

They would bill me but I would be cancelling my direct debit is how I mean.

I asked them to cancel already and have made many formal complaints but they said they won't cancel it for me.

I might just cancel it and accept what comes my way, it's not worth the stress and money it's costing me. I knew I shouldn't of done bill pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Burkie7 wrote: »
    They would bill me but I would be cancelling my direct debit is how I mean.

I asked them to cancel already and have made many formal complaints but they said they won't cancel it for me.

I might just cancel it and accept what comes my way, it's not worth the stress and money it's costing me. I knew I shouldn't of done bill pay.

Register a formal complaint with comreg, just cancelling the direct debit and burying your head in the sand is never a good option.

No point shooting yourself in the foot, you're unlikely to get out of it without having to pay some balance.

Register a formal complaint with comreg, just cancelling the direct debit and burying your head in the sand is never a good option.

No point shooting yourself in the foot, you're unlikely to get out of it without having to pay some balance.

I think I'll just stick it out then. Paying 58 month on unlimited and then getting charged more is crazy though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I think I'll just stick it out then. Paying 58 month on unlimited and then getting charged more is crazy though.

Charged for what? Premium calls?

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Charged for what? Premium calls?

I'm a Man United season ticket holder so I got a three from home which gives you data and calls in Europe and they charge me extra even though I'm well inside my limits its happened everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

I'm a Man United season ticket holder so I got a three from home which gives you data and calls in Europe and they charge me extra even though I'm well inside my limits its happened everytime.

Roam like Home with Three is a total con. It only works when you are on a Three network in a Three country. Since Three generally have the worst coverage in the countries where they operate, it is very easy to accidentally roam onto another network. When you are roaming on another network rates are penal.

Use Meteor or Eir - they have good roaming options - 99c per day or €15 for 1GB. No charge for incoming calls and Smartphone apps that let you send texts without being charged either.

Advertisement