Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara 2016 – Sunday 10th April

Options
  • 02-12-2015 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Last year’s thread

Website

So who’s in? I’m having a crack at 39.3 if I can get to the startline fit and healthy, so will be going over marathon distance for the first time (and I've only done one marathon:o). I know it’s a tough course, but I’m really looking forward to challenging myself.

My long slow run is up to 20 miles (2 weeks ago), and definitely had a marathon in me that day, and will do 22ish this weekend. I was able to do a double of 6 & 4.5 miles the day before and the day after the 20, and the legs felt great. Weekly mileage averaged 65 miles for the last 2 months. One thing I do need to do is run more hills so I’m thinking Howth should be good for that. Where I’m originally from in Kilkenny is also very hilly so hope to do lots of training there too over Christmas. Can’t wait for the back-to-backs :D

I really don’t have a notion about what kind of time I’d be hoping for yet. My long slow runs feel very easy @ just under 9:40ish pace but they haven’t been that hilly.

I’ve heard great things about this race and really can’t wait to experience them for myself.
    Anyone else thinking about it at this stage or fully committed to any of the three distances?

Garmin links:

Half
    Full
    Ultra

video from 2011 a flavour of what's to be expected!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the training. Your mileage is impressive and you seem to recover very quickly from doubles/long runs, so all in all you look to be well capable of tackling the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ososlo wrote: »
    One thing I do need to do is run more hills so I’m thinking Howth should be good for that.

Howth is perfect for Conn training, particularly the long grind up on the southern side to the summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck Ososlo! I will hopefully be taking on the half, as I had to defer my entry which I originally submitted for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Entered the full [after three years of training for the ultra, and breaking down injured each time]. Low key, no log or any drama, simply an excuse/goal to get me training 3 or 4 times a week and hopefully not get [too] fat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Entered the full along with my niece and nephew, with Mrs P doing the half.

Toyed with the idea of the ultra, but I think with the course and travel it's not the ideal first over distance race. Nervous enough about the course for the full.

Here's another GRS profile for the full with the mile splits visible.
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/295136223

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

hoping to do the full this year, will be my first marathon, am I crazy?

Following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan, with 4 weeks extra at beginning to get me up to speed. just short runs mostly so far up to 4 miles as not run in years.

Always had calf issues before so will book in January if no issues after 2 months of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

ciaran75 wrote: »
    hoping to do the full this year, will be my first marathon, am I crazy?

Following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 plan, with 4 weeks extra at beginning to get me up to speed. just short runs mostly so far up to 4 miles as not run in years.

Always had calf issues before so will book in January if no issues after 2 months of running.

Crazy ? Isn't everyone ?

Be very careful with any hill work for Connemara. Ramp it up very slowly as hills will stress any pre existing calf issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Thinking of entering the 'half' , have done two fulls but don't think I'm up for another, life controlling marathon training plan just yet, but hey I can still experience the atmosphere in the 'half' :) It's a tough course is it ? a lot of slopes ? :) how long is the bus journey from the city ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Just entered the full marathon! Did it in 2011, the hills tough from mile 20 - 25 if I remember rightly...

Getting married on the 24th April, so good to have this run to aim at fitness wise :D

Bus journey was 30 minutes or so I think, traffic allowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

It will be my first full marathon, the thought terrifies me but I am up for the challenge!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Getting excited now:D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2B2usVJZAI&feature=youtu.be

Only 5 rooms left in Peacock's Hotel so if anyone wants to be right by the startline get in there quick folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Getting excited now:D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2B2usVJZAI&feature=youtu.be

Only 5 rooms left in Peacock's Hotel so if anyone wants to be right by the startline get in there quick folks!

Lough Inagh lodge is a nice place to stay too. Not quite on the start line; but a good place for pints and food after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I stayed in Peacockes the first time I did the ultra and would highly recommend staying in Galway instead. Peacockes isn't nice, has nothing else around for the day before the race etc
    Assuming the new organisers are doing buses etc from Galway, if I were you I'd stay in Galway both for the post race craic and the greater options for food etc the night before (food in Peacockes was crap)
    Could have improved since I did it but I'd still go for somewhere in Galway, if you have an option. You can have a doze in the bus on the way into the race on race morning and plenty of other ultra runners to have the chats with too.

edit: Just read Asiminov's post. I know a few others stayed in Ougherard or Leenane in previous years too. I think the race run buses to and from these locations too. The negatives of Peacockes just outweighed the positive of being on the start/finish line for me. I stayed in Galway for the 2010 race and found it way more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Peacocks is a sh1thole,i wouldnt let my neighbours dog stay there(edit i hate my neighbour and also his dog)...what im trying to say is Do not stay here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

UM1 wrote: »
    Peacocks is a sh1thole,i wouldnt let my neighbours dog stay there(edit i hate my neighbour and also his dog)...what im trying to say is Do not stay here...

Don't beat around the bush, could you tell us what you really think?

I registered late last week, really looking forward to it now, the scenery looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Before all the Peacockes bashing goes out of hand, I'll just point out that it is under new management (again). I was in there a week ago and they were starting on refurbishments last Monday. Without doubt, the place currently looks very 1990s -esque decor wise, but of all of the owners over the years, the current crowd seem committed, and have experience.

We'd dinner for a family of five in the bar, and it was perfectly acceptable. I can't make any comment on the rooms.

Back on topic, I entered the ultra, training going fine, ran 20 miles yesterday, will work my way up to back to back long runs in February/March.

I ran the full marathon in 07, great experience. I got the bus transfer in Oughterard that year, no problems. But it's very unlike the party atmosphere at the start of big city marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mdlb

In for the full too...

Anyone have any idea if camping someplace near the start is an option instead of b&b + bus??

Done the half before and would prefer to be close to the start instead of spending ages on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The problem is not so such the time you spend on the bus (I find it quite nice) it's the waiting around at the start of the Marathon where there is no shelter whatsoever.

All part of the charm...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

just signed up for the full. looking forward to it but afraid will get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

Ran connemarathon last year, one of the best marathons I have done, scenery is beautiful. The hills are a killer especially from mile 20 onward so make sure to get your hill training in. I did mine in Howth. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

How's everyone's training going?

I'm starting to think about pace for this one. I'm doing the Ultra as my first and want to have a good experience but also to do myself justice.

I really don't have a notion what pace to go for, but does easy effort (long slow run pace) sound like a good way to approach this? I don't run to pace, but always to effort and have lots left in the tank at the end of any lsr I've done up to 28 miles. I'm always able to pick the pace up for the last few miles.
    Pace has worked out at just under 9:40min/mile. So given the above, does lsr pace sound sustainable to 39.3 miles? Or is it too conservative? When I ran 28 miles @ 9:37 pace I did feel I could have kept that up for another good while. And there is another 2 months of training to go.
    Slower? Faster? The same pace?
    Opinions appreciated!

Pace it conservatively. If you go too slowly you can always surge for the closing kilometers, passing half the world on the last climb. Very very few people manage to pace long races well enough to even split, never mind negative split.

On the other hand if you go out too quickly, you'll either have a horrific time in the closing kilometers (best case) or DNF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

How's everyone's training going?

I'm starting to think about pace for this one. I'm doing the Ultra as my first and want to have a good experience but also to do myself justice.

I really don't have a notion what pace to go for, but does easy effort (long slow run pace) sound like a good way to approach this? I don't run to pace, but always to effort and have lots left in the tank at the end of any lsr I've done up to 28 miles. I'm always able to pick the pace up for the last few miles.
    Pace has worked out at just under 9:40min/mile. So given the above, does lsr pace sound sustainable to 39.3 miles? Or is it too conservative? When I ran 28 miles @ 9:37 pace I did feel I could have kept that up for another good while. And there is another 2 months of training to go.
    Slower? Faster? The same pace?
    Opinions appreciated!

My plan is to think of of it as three half-marathons, first one is easy going, you're fresh & there are no hills to speak off, 2nd one is tougher as the hills start to arrive but it's still ok. Last one is the hardest as you're getting tired & there's that nice long drag (normally with the wind against you) before the finish to face!

Definitely take it handy early on would be my advice which I'm hoping to follow myself this year as well :o

Have you any time target opus? I'm hoping blindly for a sub-5, if you fancy tagging along (pacing me)😉.

I'm thinking I'll need to hit Lenaune in 3:15, leaving 1:45 death march for home..

Training going fine, hoping for another back to back weekend, and considering whether a marathon is necessary in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Have you any time target opus? I'm hoping blindly for a sub-5, if you fancy tagging along (pacing me)😉.

I'm thinking I'll need to hit Lenaune in 3:15, leaving 1:45 death march for home..

My plan exactly. Maybe we could get a group going on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Me pace you :eek: Tbh will decide closer the date after the 50k in Donadea & the Tralee marathon in March along with a couple of 10m races. Would love to go under 5 but not sure about how feasible that is!

To be blunt, that looks like a disastrous plan to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

Enduro wrote:
    To be blunt, that looks like a disastrous plan to me.

So you would aim for even pace 7:37 for 4:59?
    Or even effort where your pace will slow on the hillier part of the course but effort stay the same?
    Or something else?

So you would aim for even pace 7:37 for 4:59?
    Or even effort where your pace will slow on the hillier part of the course but effort stay the same?
    Or something else?

At a minimum even effort all the way. Personally I would aim for a negative split effort wise, which in the case of Conn Ultra could be an even time split across the 3 half marathons.

Aiming for a positive split is planned destruction, IMHO.

• Advertisement

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I have no experience of ultras, so I'll take your advice on board Enduro. My rationale was from looking at the splits from previous years (when available). I don't recall seeing any negative or even splitting finishing times. I assumed that at least some of these people didn't crash and burn. I always aim to negative split a marathon, so I understand fully the folly of aiming to positive split normally. My one and only Connemara marathon back in 2007 was a car crash of a positive split, effort levels in second half increased but pace collapsed. Perhaps another 9 years of good running and a bit more sense will enable an even split ultra.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the advice.

Advertisement