Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara 2016 – Sunday 10th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

A negative split ultra in con seems the crazy option given that the 2 climbs are in the last third. I ran the marathon twice and +5' was my positive split, for an ultra I would guess the last third would be more than that.

2012 ultra results
    http://www.connemarathon.com/the-results/2012-ultra.pdf
    everybody has a positive split except the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

I ran a negative split in 2014
    2:08
    2:02
    1:58

But was more agressive last year
    1:45
    1:45
    1:54(IIRC)

Conn. Is a tricky one to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'll hold my hands up and admit that I have no experience of ultras, so I'll take your advice on board Enduro. My rationale was from looking at the splits from previous years (when available). I don't recall seeing any negative or even splitting finishing times. I assumed that at least some of these people didn't crash and burn. I always aim to negative split a marathon, so I understand fully the folly of aiming to positive split normally. My one and only Connemara marathon back in 2007 was a car crash of a positive split, effort levels in second half increased but pace collapsed. Perhaps another 9 years of good running and a bit more sense will enable an even split ultra.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate the advice.

No problem. I'm glad to see you're taking it in the spirit intended!

Like I say, it's very very rare to find people who can negative split an ultra. That's probably because it takes a lot of self-knowledge and confidence to execute. However, when you do see negative splitters, they'll most frequently be found at the front (as with any distance).

FWIW, the last time I ran the Conn ultra I ran almost perfect 1:30 splits for each of the half marathons (almost, they actually very slightly speeded up). That was a negative split by effort. I overtook shedloads of people in the last half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Enduro

echancrure wrote: »
    2012 ultra results

emmm... is that argument for or against negative splitting :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

2012 ultra results
    Look again...2.11,2:03,2:02..albeit slower dan u op is proposing

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

does anyone know if you stay in Leenane, can I be dropped to the full start location and then my wife drive straight back to Leenane before heading on to the finish area before the runners pass. Can't actually remember if the roads were closed or not. I think they may have been.

The drop at the start of the full is the problem: that road is closed before the full, because of the ultras and also because, frankly, there is no room for cars dropping off people.
    The easiest to get to the start of the full is to jump on the organisers' bus.

The drop at the start of the full is the problem: that road is closed before the full, because of the ultras and also because, frankly, there is no room for cars dropping off people.
    The easiest to get to the start of the full is to jump on the organisers' bus.

Thanks. There is no bus service from Leenane though. It is only clifden, galway and oughterard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks. There is no bus service from Leenane though. It is only clifden, galway and oughterard

I emailed the organisers about a logistical issue and the girl who got back to me was brilliant with suggestions. Email on the website.

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    I emailed the organisers about a logistical issue and the girl who got back to me was brilliant with suggestions. Email on the website.

Have just emailed there now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cmac8

Going to registered for the full this weekend. Be hoping to break the 4hr mark but unlike marathons in the past, going to run this soley for the enjoyment more so than trying to achieve any time.

While I am going to take the bus from Galway for the start, my wife is going to drive. Where would be the best place for her ( or any spectators) to park, so I can meet up with and get a lift home once it is over? Also is there any tracking mechanism where people can follow participates on the course to gage where they are at. And last question, where would be the best place for supporters to go along the route.

Thanks in advance

Not long to go now folks! How's the training going?

I have a question about the ultra. From the website:
    You can place an item of your choice at any three of the Ultra Aid Stations. Small bags of items are accepted. Mark your own item to make it easily identifiable. These items can be handed in at the pre-race briefing. The drop boxes are then positioned at miles 5, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 29, 32, 35 and 37.

What kinds of items did people put in the bags in previous years? There's water handed out on the course, so just wondering what else you might need to have in a bag along the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Ososlo wrote:
    What kinds of items did people put in the bags in previous years? There's water handed out on the course, so just wondering what else you might need to have in a bag along the way?

I ran the Ultra last year, placed drop bags at the 13 and 26 mile mark.Just put in the bags what works for you don't eat or drink stuff you're not used to .

nhunter100 wrote: »
    I ran the Ultra last year, placed drop bags at the 13 and 26 mile mark.Just put in the bags what works for you don't eat or drink stuff you're not used to .

Ah I won't be eating/drinking anything new don't worry about that!

So you put gels etc in the bags? I was going to carry with me what I'll need - 2 gels and a couple of nuun tabs.
    Could you put a layer of clothing in the bag and collect at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Ososlo wrote:

Ososlo wrote:
    So you put gels etc in the bags? I was going to carry with me what I'll need - 2 gels and a couple of nuun tabs. Could you put a layer of clothing in the bag and collect at the end?

Last year we started off with snow and rain mid way I shed my favourite running jacket cause of the heat.Not a fan of gels but electorlite tabs are good.As I said whatever works for you.Your first Ultra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So you put gels etc in the bags? I was going to carry with me what I'll need - 2 gels and a couple of nuun tabs.

You'd be better off carrying gels/tabs with you. I put a pack of jaffas in a bin but they they were nowhere to be seen when I arrived :D:D I saw people putting what looks like the contents of a picnic in there too :D:D

"Could you put a layer of clothing in the bag and collect at the end?"
    If you mean putting clothing in a drop of point and collecting after, I'd say no. You wouldn't be guaranteed to get them back. Better of with some cheap stuff you are willing to throw away carefully :)

If you're looking for fresh warm clothes at the end, the bag drop (to be collected at finish line) seems to be reliable and secure(no's on bags)...

Your training seems to be going well, you still staying in peacocks??

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Last year we started off with snow and rain mid way I shed my favourite running jacket cause of the heat.Not a fan of gels but electorlite tabs are good.As I said whatever works for you.Your first Ultra?

Yeah I'd say the weather could do anything! If the forecast is bad I think I'll go for short sleeved running top with cheap light rain jacket which I'll be prepared to throw away due to what marty said about not seeing it again!

Yeah it's my first ultra event. Longest training run is 30 miles and weekly mileage around 70 miles per week. Can't wait for it!! It's really a training run for Belfast 24hr in June which is the main event this year.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    You'd be better off carrying gels/tabs with you. I put a pack of jaffas in a bin but they they were nowhere to be seen when I arrived :D:D I saw people putting what looks like the contents of a picnic in there too :D:D

"Could you put a layer of clothing in the bag and collect at the end?"
    If you mean putting clothing in a drop of point and collecting after, I'd say no. You wouldn't be guaranteed to get them back. Better of with some cheap stuff you are willing to throw away carefully :)

If you're looking for fresh warm clothes at the end, the bag drop (to be collected at finish line) seems to be reliable and secure(no's on bags)...

Your training seems to be going well, you still staying in peacocks??

Great stuff this is exactly what I need to know thanks. That's sad about the jaffas marty :(

I will bring everything I need with me so and maybe put a few backup supplies in a bag or two along the way.
    I will go with the cheapo layers so I can discard if necessary.

Yes am staying in Peacocks.

Bit of a blip with training last week but back on track this week thankfully!! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

As I struggled around the Debra Wicklow Mountain Half yesterday morning I was doubting my entry for the Conn marathon. Even if I want to saunter around and do it for fun and not time!

But I think I will do a couple of longer runs over the next two weeks and things will get the better of me, and I will do it, slowly & painfully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

What I did the last 2 or 3 times I ran Connemara I took a bottle with sports drink and sello-taped 2 gels to it. I had three bottles, usually around mile 10, 20 and 30, though the exact locations differed slightly each end every time.

Having said that, I've never used all 6 gels.

I wouldn't expect to get anything back to be honest, so leaving a top behind in a drop bag was never an option I considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Oh, and don't put you items in to a little white plastic bag.

I remember turning up at the mile 30 table in 2012 to be confronted by at least a dozen of more or less identical little white plastic bags. I think I lost a minute trying to locate mine, never mind the stress it caused on an already frazzled brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Still on course for the half. I've run over and above the distance several times in recent weeks, on hilly routes in PP and the Sutton-Howth Summit-Howth village triangle. No great expectation time wise (PB currently 1:37) but that may yet change...

Oh, and don't put you items in to a little white plastic bag.

I remember turning up at the mile 30 table in 2012 to be confronted by at least a dozen of more or less identical little white plastic bags. I think I lost a minute trying to locate mine, never mind the stress it caused on an already frazzled brain.

Excellent thanks for the tips Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Posts on facebook say that all 3 races are gonna sell out very soon indeed, if anyone had been training and not actually entered yet [why someone would do that is another thing, but there is always someone!!!]

Number arrived in the post this morning for the ultra! Getting close now. Can't wait:D

Number arrived in the post this morning for the ultra! Getting close now. Can't wait:D

"Ultra marathoner "
    Goes on your back in case you didn't know, save you having to go changing it at the briefing.

Having the choice of posting your number was a great addition to this year's race.

"Ultra marathoner "
    Goes on your back in case you didn't know, save you having to go changing it at the briefing.

Having the choice of posting your number was a great addition to this year's race.

Thanks Ed no I didn't know that.

Yes great to have the number in advance and nice to have our names on them!! Can't imagine there would be many supporters out on the course except for at the finish!

Can't imagine there would be many supporters out on the course except for at the finish!

Pretty much zero support from spectators until hell of the west where there's lots of support but when passing marathon and half marathon runners/walkers they'll see the sign on your back and some will give a shout out which I find immensely encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Has anyone a link to the profile of the half marathon on Strava or Garmin ?

Advertisement