Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara 2016 – Sunday 10th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Has anyone a link to the profile of the half marathon on Strava or Garmin ?

nop98's run last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just got my bib in the mail. I'm a rookie at Connemara and I notice there is no chip ... is this expected ? Is it hand timed ?

I've had another nightmare winter - getting a succession of injuries since mid-December, so this is my run a marathon on 3 weeks training/1 week taper effort :eek::eek: (Yes, I know but the flight/hotel is booked and I could not face another DNS), so I am hoping to get around in less than 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Just got my bib in the mail. I'm a rookie at Connemara and I notice there is no chip ... is this expected ? Is it hand timed

There's an electronic strip along the back of your number which will record your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Ed I saw your ultra marathon time from last year. congrats man!

There's an electronic strip along the back of your number which will record your time.

Hummmm - a b-tag ?... I must look again when I get home. Have to say I did not see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Getting close now! A relatively comfortable PB of 1:14, without going full tilt, in the Brian Boru 10 Mile should leave me in good shape for a crack at beating my 1:37 half marathon PB (Carlingford 2014). Plenty of hilly stretches included in my longer runs, and my 5k times are coming down too.

In addition, I'm resisting the temptation to try and race Sonia O'S around Trinners in a twistyturnymultilap 5k next Wednesday; eyes on the prize, as the saying goes. Even she might have difficulty navigating this course though!

https://www.tcd.ie/Sport/social/run/maps/Campus%205k%20Map%202016.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Stablemaster

Ladies and gents is there a tracker for the half and full?

Ladies and gents is there a tracker for the half and full?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Anyone any amusing taper madness stories :)

Funny that I know that the long-range weather forecasts is basically guess work, but I still find myself checking it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Doing the full...on a whim as its my birthday. Not enough training in. Not bothered with time. Running to enjoy this one ...and still the taper madness sets in. Right glut gone, back-pain, flu...etc. Five minutes into marathon, it'll all magically disappear as usual....hopefully!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

It will be my first full marathon 😨no caffeine till Sunday. This green tea is yuk....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Anyone any amusing taper madness stories :)

Funny that I know that the long-range weather forecasts is basically guess work, but I still find myself checking it :D

I'm putting off the pleasure of checking forecasts every hour 'til later in the week :)

I do love this checking of long-term weather forecasts time before a marathon!!

Last night the weekend weather for Connemara on Sunday had changed and said it would be cold, wet and crappy...

..right now it says cloudy, no rain and pretty perfect running weather :D

We will see what the magic 8 ball says tomorrow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Drove to Galway last year in torrential rain to catch the bus to the start of the Ultra. Snow on the mountains near the start line. Rain for the first mile, the other 38 miles beautiful sunny weather.Just bring a few layers you can cast off and not feel the loss of. Best of luck in whatever distance you're running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You will, most likely, run through all four seasons. Especially if doing the ultra. We had hailstones and sunshine one year that I did it.

It looks like it'll be nippy in the morning if nothing else.

If any of the ultra runners see a guy in a black sabbath singlet with a skull and crossbones on the back thats me. My real name is...............Ed.

Good luck everyone.

Doing the full, gonna wear my Boards AC singlet, since that other thread is talking about it and I had found it a couple of months ago. [& Since I have done nothing with Crusaders for 18 months, bit mad to keep wearing the singlet!]

Need to pack and all that nonsense now, clothes to cover all 4 seasons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

It looks like it'll be nippy in the morning if nothing else.

If any of the ultra runners see a guy in a black sabbath singlet with a skull and crossbones on the back thats me. My real name is...............Ed.

Good luck everyone.

I'll keep an eye out for you! Haven't decided on my running wardrobe yet as will wait to see what it's like when we get off the bus at Maam Cross.

Best of luck to everyone in the three events!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

In my mad dash to get out of work early, I forgot my registration confirmation email (I KNEW I was forgetting something). Tried checking the site but no info on if it's required or not.

If I show up at the number collection in clifden with photo ID will that be enough? My first HM so not sure, shorter races they never ask.. Or should I spin by work and print it out before heading west tomorrow AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

mojesius wrote: »
    In my mad dash to get out of work early, I forgot my registration confirmation email (I KNEW I was forgetting something). Tried checking the site but no info on if it's required or not.

If I show up at the number collection in clifden with photo ID will that be enough? My first HM so not sure, shorter races they never ask.. Or should I spin by work and print it out before heading west tomorrow AM?

They'll cope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good luck to everyone taking part tomorrow, half, full or ultra. Give it your best shot and enjoy it!

It's bleedin' snowing here in connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

All packed ready to go. Connemara here I come!😃🏃

It's bleedin' snowing here in connemara

And now the sun's shining and blue sky's appearing so im just gonna stop here with the weather updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

And now the sun's shining and blue sky's appearing so im just gonna stop here with the weather updates.

You still using the AC/DC ringtone??? Will it be blasting out along the course like last year ☺☺
    Have a good one Ed, you have it in ya ☺

And good luck to all doing conn in whatever distance .... it's a lovely run, enjoy ☺

martyboy48 wrote:
    You still using the AC/DC ringtone??? Will it be blasting out along the course like last year ☺☺ Have a good one Ed, you have it in ya ☺

Yeah but bought some short shorts without pockets (might'nt brave them though)
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all toeing the line in Connemara tomorrow. Have a good one and ENJOY!!!

Good luck to all. Bib 2348; doing the full in yellow singlet. Say hello if you meet me. Hoping for dry conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck to all. Bib 2348; doing the full in yellow singlet. Say hello if you meet me. Hoping for dry conditions.

Best of luck to you and to all... Great to see you (virtually) back amongst it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Very wet and windy outside this morning so I'd say it'll be a challenge out there today.

TbL

Advertisement