Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara 2016 – Sunday 10th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

DNF for me in the ultra. Was in great shape running along with Ed McG, but the few miles into Leenaun with the worst of the weather was beyond torturous. I got extremely cold, and when I turned in Leenaun to face into more horrible weather, I made the decision to withdraw.

The good people in the Village Grill took great care of me, while I waited for an ambulance. Bad luck to have that weather. Hope other people had some success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

DNF for me in the ultra. Was in great shape running along with Ed McG, but the few miles into Leenaun with the worst of the weather was beyond torturous. I got extremely cold, and when I turned in Leenaun to face into more horrible weather, I made the decision to withdraw.

The good people in the Village Grill took great care of me, while I waited for an ambulance. Bad luck to have that weather. Hope other people had some success.

Really sorry to hear that. Mind yourself and hope you feel back to normal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Sorry to hear that TPP.

I did a few miles out there today and the gusting winds were very strong and cold especially in exposed sections. I wouldn't envy anyone doing the Ultra out there today. I'd say it was all about surviving out there

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Sounds like it was pure hardship out there today. I had a few friends doing the half, waiting to see how they got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Fair play to you for trying it in those conditions, I hope you're okay now. Nothing but respect for the ultra runners, so impressive.

Did the half myself and it was brutal weather in Leenane followed by hail, wind in all directions and rain. Really struggled on that hill towards the end, hail and wind were unforgiving. Well done to everyone who took part.

My first HM and got in in 2:17ish. Happy with that. Great atmosphere despite the crap weather! Locals were fantastic support en route. And thank feck for the lucozade towards the end. Looking forward to dinner and a few drinks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Never coming to Connemara again. Never ignoring weather warnings before and never running ultras again. Until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

5:10:16
    Slowed down on hell of the west to tell Gerry Duffy how much I enjoyed his books.
    Said he'd give me my money back.

Slowed down on hell of the west to tell Gerry Duffy how much I enjoyed his books.

ha ha and fanbloodytastic Ed! Super time in those conditions! Looking forward to the report ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Sorry to hear that. Given the winds waiting at the start of the full I tip my hat to anyone who attempted the ultra.

Savage effort in those condition!

• Advertisement

Killerz wrote: »
    Best of luck to you and to all... Great to see you (virtually) back amongst it :)

Cheers. Sadly it's hard to keep a log without the training to report

:o

Apologies to all. By now it seems clear that most marathons I sign up for end up with crazy weather:(. An expected pw for me but hopefully the chip time will start with a 3.

In all seriousness I never saw a forecast for anything more than rain. Is there a micro climate in the area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Cheers. Sadly it's hard to keep a log without the training to report

:o

Apologies to all. By now it seems clear that most marathons I sign up for end up with crazy weather:(. An expected pw for me but hopefully the chip time will start with a 3.

In all seriousness I never saw a forecast for anything more than rain. Is there a micro climate in the area ?

not just one micro climate ... at least 5 and they rotate randomly around the course every year :) Hats off to everyone who competed marshaled and supported the event again this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

two ex-boardsies out there - jcsmum in 5:47 and theboyblunder second with 4:36

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

1:40:40 chip time. Waste of time chasing a PB in that ....however I would value today's run higher than my actual PB. Bleedin ferocious.

Report to follow when I'm back in situ.

1:40:xx I think. Waste of time chasing a PB in that ....however I would value today's run higher than my actual PB. Bleedin ferocious.

Report to follow when I'm back in situ.

Great work on a tough day. Looking forward to hearing all about it WW!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Well done to anyone out there today. The miles towards Lennane made the easiest part of the course the toughest because of the cold and the driving rain.
    My third Connemara full in a row and that was the toughest: so cold and wet !!

Well do done to anyone who ran today!!! (especially Comte !!! who ran her first full in 4:32 !!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mylesforsmiles

Well done to all who braved the elements today. Was expecting it to be chilly, a little rainy and with a bit wind as forecasted throughout, however, wasn't expecting what transpired. Did the full myself, miles 1 to 7 very pleasant, horrible headwind from t-junction to Leenane, not so bad from Leenane to finish, with hell of the west being an obvious exception. Has the potential to be a stunning, challenging and honest course if the weather it pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Well that really sorted the men from the boys!

A big fat DNF for me in the ultra. The cold got the better of me at the top of the hill coming out of leenaun.
    I got a ride an ambulance with hypothermia coming on strong. Shared it with two others who were in an even worse state. One was a woman who had her first dnf after 112 marathons!

I have never felt cold like it. Fine now but fortunate that the order of Malta were there to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Well that was a character building exercise for sure! Ended up around 55 mins away from the time I was aiming for on the ultra but tbh at one stage wasn't even sure I'd make it to the end.

Everything was going ok 'til that turn toward Leenaun, lost feeling in my hands first & then (and it's never happened to me before) all the muscles in my body seemed to tense up from my jaw (!) to my back, arms & legs. It wasn't like a cramp but it meant all I could manage to do was a slow shuffle of a jog. Assume that's some weird effect of the cold? By the time I got to Leenaun at the 42.2k mark for the first time ever I gave serious consideration to dropping out.

Fair play to everyone who took part & amazing work by the volunteers who had to stand for hours in that weather. The continual procession of ambulances going past made it abundantly clear how bad the conditions were.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Fair play ultra people. That was savage weather into leenaun. I just did the full and couldn't feel my hands or face. Nothing like the sound if squelchy runners in mid flight to scare the bejaysus outta ye. Had to ask spectator to take gel out as hands didn't function.. Got in at 3:56... never pushed it as just didn't know what weather condition was around the next bend... fierce weather but a great day. First time to see someone smoking at starting line too....lol...It not have stayed lit for long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Comte

Well what can I say for my first full marathon?! Challenging and tough in that horrendous weather. Tried to focus on the beautiful scenery around me and admire the lambs in the fields but my goodness coming in to Leenaun was the worst ever! My face was sore with the hail stones,wind and rain. Delighted with my time 4:32. Would I go back for more yes!!!....😃

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Fair play to every one that ran yesterday but especially ye ultras. That took some determination. Did the full myself and what should have been some really nice miles down into Leenane ended up being an absolute endurance test. Took a photo the evening before overlooking Kilary Fjord and it was sunny and looked incredible. Hard to believe it was the same place yesterday. It was incredible. I was never so cold in any other race as I was heading down there. Same as Opus as regards every part of me seemed to tighten up. Pains in my legs and arms and at one point a headache from the rain hitting off me. It was as if the wind and rain were cutting through me. Thank God for the 3.30 group. They swallowed me up just coming into Leenane and I managed to gather myself and stay with them. The pacer was excellent, always encouraging and kept a really solid group all the way to the last hill. Stayed close to him all the way to the top. Really thought that hill was going to be the final straw but the wind didn't appear to be as bad when we got up there. Maybe I was delirious. Never so happy to finish though and delighted with the 3.27 on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

A massive well done to everyone who did Conn yesterday, never mind finishing any of the distances, mustering the courage to get yourself to the start line took some guts with the gales that were blowing.

I know a lot of hiking clubs out that way and the general consensus is that the area does have its own micro climate. It doesn't matter what it's doing anywhere else in the area, it will be doing something different in that area. Those mountains play havoc with the weather.

I wonder how difficult the pacers found it. I guess on a good day, running those paces would have been no bother to them but in those conditions, I wonder if they struggled - it has to be a really tough job knowing that you couldn't pull out with so many people relying on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Challenging conditions all right ... only did the half myself, came in a massive 30 mins off my PB pace, and not all of that slow-down was due to laziness in training :)

From the sound of some of the reports from folks doing the ultra and full, sounds like us half runners had it the easiest with the conditions. A fierce wind and sideways hailstones for the first few km out of Lennane, but then the weather calmed down a fair bit. Gave us a chance to actually enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Nice atmosphere afterwards in Peacocke's hotel, even if it was total chaos. The hot soup and assorted grub was a nice touch.

Would defo do it again, maybe the full next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, my plan was to always saunter around and take in the scenery, chat with a few folks and just enjoy it.

Have to say I enjoyed no part of it. Maybe the first run ever when I really don't have a single good thing to take from it. Some were no fault of the organisers [weather, NIGHTMARE in hotel afterwards], and others were. Anyway, it was never about time for me. I was doing this for fun and health reasons to give me an excuse to get off my ass and train. That was done, so maybe that is my good point to take from it :)

With regard to the race, that stage from 6 miles to 13 miles was the hardest thing I have ever done. [Later I saw that I averaged around 9.30 min/miles for that section, while not bad at all, utterly ****ed my legs and was utter misery [hail stones shooting my eyes was a highlight!], and I paid for it later] I would have dropped out in Leenan at 13 miles [Indeed, I really wanted to tbh], but did not want to take an ambulance space from someone who needed one. Some folks in a really bad way. My honest opinion, is that it was very dangerous to let the race continue at that point - some folks were in utter bits. Hope all are ok.

That was my 9th or 10th Marathon and quite possibly cured me from ever wanting to run a marathon again tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I did the half marathon in Connemara and whilst the conditions were tough I managed to get a good pb out of it so was very happy with how it went. Hope to do it again in the future, it was my first time running is so would be nice to see the views on the run in better conditions.
    Felt really bad for the ultra runners I saw in bad nick at the end and hope everyone came out of the race okay.

My race report is here if you are interested to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

That was tough alright, I’ve never been that cold in my life “voluntarily”. I was at the back, didn’t train at all properly for it due to injury (three 10K runs in the past month) and intended to jog the first half then walk/jog home. Finished 1hr45min over my worst ever marathon time.

The wind, hail and rain was relentless from mile 9 with a few breaks in between. There were a lot of people suffering, two in particular who I met: one was already disorientated but we got him an ambulance after a couple of minutes, the other lady was worse, totally delirious even though she couldn’t walk, bad luck meant that I waited about 15 mins with her for the ambulance, which she promptly refused to get into, but hypothermia does that to you. I asked after her at the finish line, couldn’t find any news of her and I hope she’s OK.

I ended out near the back, which meant that the ;last place we got an energy drink was Leenaun, no gels or sugars to get a boost, so the back 13 miles were tough. Can’t thank the volunteers enough for staying out in that wether till the end, they were very apologetic about having no gels etc. but they had hundreds of bottles of water, which was a nice ironic touch.:D

This photo gives an idea of the conditions, it’s coming down the hill into Leenaun, you can just about see the rain coming in at a 45 degree angle, I would have taken more photos but my hands were frozen, the app shows a wind chill of -5 degrees, but it got worse in gusts IMO.

DSC_0462_zps1srogpii.jpg

Screenshot_2016-04-10-11-54-41_zpsitbsed0i.jpg

It was my first Connemarathon, I registered twice before, cancelled twice due to family commitments; glad I did it but it wasn’t enjoyable, I’ll definitely do it again though. My only caveat is that the weather can be brutal in April (I know Connemara very well, Sunday was rough, but not unexceptional), my advice to the organisers would be to seriously consider putting it on later in the year; it has a great reputation, but some of the horror stories from Sunday will inevitably put others off, i hope it doesn't damage their reputation for what is a fabulous course on a nice day.

DSC_0473_zpsci6x4uyd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I did not want to mention the energy drinks, but even around half way down the marathon field I did not see a single one at either of the stations they were supposed to be at. No shortage of water, but I assume they had a single case of lucozade or something token..

Must say I was saying things which were deeply unpleasant when half way up the hell of the west I was looking forward to getting some sugar and there were none, and for about a full KM the road was lined with bottles with a single mouthful gone from them. I was not a happy bunny indeed..

4.01 ... 4.00.52 chip. Disappointed not to get under 4, but a misbehaving sock did me in and the 4.00 pace group gave me a false sense of security.

Report here (long !) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99370793&postcount=315

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Pretty harsh day all round. Just did the half (fair play to all you ultra and full folks - I did wonder where all the half-ers were, as the field was tiny compared to other years). First couple of miles were the worst, weather wise, until you warmed up.

Final little dig - 1:30:05 for a finishing time. Five fecking secinds...

That all said - Saturday was lovely 8-)

Advertisement