Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Space saver wheel Nissan Leaf?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I will only bring it on country trips at night when the garages might be closed.
    KCross wrote: »
    Space saver is 125 wide. Full wheel is 205(16" wheels) or 215(17" wheels).My theory is get the full size wheel and leave it at home. When I get a puncture deal with the hassle of getting it delivered to me. Thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make in the hope it wont be a regular thing! If Im on a longer journey, throw it in and deal with the loss of space.

There is no perfect answer really. Its whatever suits you.

I take both of your points - and I agree, there's no ideal outcome here. It's a shame that Nissan couldn't at least leave a slot for a compact - even if they were not prepared to supply one for performance-related and cost reasons.

I was unfortunate enough to experience to separate punctures within 1 month of taking ownership of my Leaf. None since then thankfully. That said, I drive sub-optimal roads.
    slave1 wrote:
    To date we've always used full wheels in our cars so when a puncture arose, just a quick call to breakdown and everything taken care of without a rush to get the puncture fixed...
    Is that an element of your insurance cover you are accessing slave1 or AA?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Breakdown insurance cover, they will come out to me and take the punctured tyre off and replace it with the spare but only if the spare is in the same location as the car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

slave1 wrote: »
    Breakdown insurance cover, they will come out to me and take the punctured tyre off and replace it with the spare but only if the spare is in the same location as the car...
    Ok, so spare has to be in the boot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've done that. False floor with compartments for cables, extension lead etc. Very tidy job. I think I might have posted that here.

I saw your pic of the boot without the false floor including your cables and trolley jack etc. Do you have a pic with the false floor in?

Would be good to post both pics here to give people that perspective as well. Did you make the false floor yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I saw your pic of the boot without the false floor including your cables and trolley jack etc. Do you have a pic with the false floor in?

Would be good to post both pics here to give people that perspective as well. Did you make the false floor yourself?

Yeah made it myself. I'll get some pictures added later.

Attached, hope they work.

411178.jpeg

411179.jpeg

411180.jpeg

411181.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is the frame fixed to the floor of the boot in anyway. or is the wheel fixed down?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Is the frame fixed to the floor of the boot in anyway. or is the wheel fixed down?

Neither. Good old gravity and a tight fit keeps it in place.

Thanks for that, you've pretty much done exactly what is in my head, ply based system to keep the weight down, another project for me!
    EDIT, I actually have another plan with lighter material but I'll need to try it out first

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Attached, hope they work.

Very good.
    Whats the long stick thing to the left of the wheel? For beatings of some kind?!

Is the jack hidden in there somewhere too?

Looks like a bar to put over the wheel wrench to make it easier to turn the nuts

Location of the Australian spare wheel...
    photo-6_zps0746b549.jpg

Very good.
    Whats the long stick thing to the left of the wheel? For beatings of some kind?!

Is the jack hidden in there somewhere too?

That's the lever for the jack. It sits at the back.

[Mad Lad if you can embed them like you did the last time, would be obliged, its beyond my skill level: thanks]

Attached are four pictures showing a top and side view of a trolley jack and a scissors jack.

What I want to do is to be able to use the trolley jack under the same support point as the scissors jack, without damaging the under body, when I do tyre rotation.

The support point is only on the inside of the metal seam on the car.
    The other complication is that the trolley wheel jack is more prone to moving when being jacked up, the scissors jack is just straight up.

I would be obliged for suggestions.
    Thanks as always

Obvious solution is to carry and use a block of soft wood or rubber inserted between the sill and the jack. It's not good for the paint and sealant anyway to use a metal jack.

• Advertisement

Fiesta wrote: »
    The Lancer space saver is popular, but I think they are hard to find.

I went for a Mazda 3 space saver, it fits the front, and the wheel nuts fit fine too.

Leaf_Spare_Wheel.jpg

This site may help...
    https://www.wheel-size.com/pcd/5x114.3/

Have you had to use this, I've found a Mazda 3 15" space saver but all this compatibility is doing my head in, just want to know did you have to actually use it and did it perform as expected.
    Thanks

slave1 wrote: »
    Have you had to use this, I've found a Mazda 3 15" space saver but all this compatibility is doing my head in, just want to know did you have to actually use it and did it perform as expected.
    Thanks

Straight off you have a 15" wheel there so that might not fit as the Leaf has 16"(SV) or 17"(SVE) wheels. What are the full dimensions of the Mazda space saver?

The basic set of figures for a Leaf space saver are T125/90D R16 98M.
    But you also have to look at center bore, stud sizes and positions etc.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Straight off you have a 15" wheel there so that might not fit as the Leaf has 16"(SV) or 17"(SVE) wheels. What are the full dimensions of the Mazda space saver?

I have no idea what size the Mazda 3 Space Saver is, and I haven't had cause to use it. But, it does fit, front and rear.

I'm not worried if it is or isn't the same size as the official Nissan wheel, I just want it to fit the hub! The alternative may be a tow truck, and it is just a very temporary & get you home solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

My Mazda 3 space saver is T125/70D R17 98M. The centre bore and bolt pattern is identical to the Leaf.

JPEG_image_5_CAA9_CD7_B451_1.jpg

• Advertisement

has anybody removed the under panel where the spare would normally be, like the lad did in OZ?

This is a very good price for an OEM wheel(17")
    https://speakev.com/threads/leaf-tekna-17-inch-alloy-scuffed.37609/

If you are in the market for a spare I'd buy that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is a very good price for an OEM wheel(17")
    https://speakev.com/threads/leaf-tekna-17-inch-alloy-scuffed.37609/

If you are in the market for a spare I'd buy that.

I seen that during the week.
    Technically you would have to swap the TPMS over if using, am I correct?

kceire wrote: »
    I seen that during the week.
    Technically you would have to swap the TPMS over if using, am I correct?

Only if you plan to leave it on the car full time and want the TPMS to work.

If you buy it as a spare while you are getting another wheel/tyre repaired you can drive around with the TPMS warning on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Only if you plan to leave it on the car full time and want the TPMS to work.

If you buy it as a spare while you are getting another wheel/tyre repaired you can drive around with the TPMS warning on.

and its in very good condition, so it might suit someone to buy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It would take up too much space though. I think I will go the false floor route and space saver.

kceire wrote: »
    and its in very good condition, so it might suit someone to buy anyway.

If so why no picture of the back...rim could be buckled

Space saver is 125 wide. Full wheel is 205(16" wheels) or 215(17" wheels).

I dont know about the weight but I'd say there isnt much in the difference as the full size wheels are alloys which tend to be light and the space saver is steel. I dont think the weight difference would have any noticeable affect on range.

The space they take up in the boot is the issue really. Even a space saver is going to be bulky and awkward in the boot.

My theory is get the full size wheel and leave it at home. When I get a puncture deal with the hassle of getting it delivered to me. Thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make in the hope it wont be a regular thing! If Im on a longer journey, throw it in and deal with the loss of space.

There is no perfect answer really. Its whatever suits you.

For anyone interested in going the route of having a full size wheel as a spare I bought the following Qashqai wheel for my Leaf which has 17" wheels:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2009-Nissan-Qashqai-2007-To-2010-17x-6-5J-CH5-40-Alloy-Wheel-juke-x-trail/132147600880

And I put a cheap (€75) tyre on it.
    http://www.moderntyres.ie/2155017fowxl-21550wr17-budget-brand-95w-xl

It costs €7 to get it sent via ParcelMotel as its oversized.

It fits perfectly, no issues with it hitting the brake calipers or wheel well and one interesting thing is that when its on the Tyre pressure warning light doesnt come on. I guess the TPMS system only complains if it sees a drop in pressure but no issue if it doesnt get an input from one of the wheels.

A space saver would be cheaper but I'd rather the full size wheel and be able to drive at full speed.

For what it is worth I went with the Nissan steel rimmed full size rig, similar thinking to KC, just a bit more expensive.

A full size spare wheel (steel) for a Leaf. Good price (£75) considering it includes a tyre as well.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/142478546951?clk_rvr_id=1286345560061

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

peaceboi wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the space saver spare wheel for Nissan leaf from any car breakers? 1 Nissan dealer quoted me 190e!! Others didn't have a clue. So many space saver wheels on eBay & done deal.
    Mine is the 2014 sv leaf with 205 55 r16 tyre, will any space saver wheel of that dimension fit for the Nissan leaf? Can the spare wheel be clamped or locked in the boot? Am thinking to buy one & just keep it in the boot itself. Your opinions please

I wouldn't bother, leaf comes with tyre kit that should get you home.

I haven't had a flat in years ? down to luck or modern tyres ?
    And when your side wall goes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ted1 wrote: »

And it does happen. A couple of weeks ago some eijet pulled out of a side road on the opposite side and I had to swerve toward the kerb because she veered into my lane and effectively ran me into the kerb, blowing my side wall and scuffing the rim. I had to slowly drive 2klm to the garage and get the trye replaced and tracking done. Of course the eijet who pulled out didn't even see what happened. I had it on dashcam, but I let it go. I've had more important fish to fry.

I've been meaning to get spares for the Leafs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

ted1 wrote: »

Call breakdown assist. I agree it's nice to have a spare wheel with you if needed, but the chances of this happening are so low then i'm happy not to have a spare.

My last three cars didn't have a spare wheel and i've (touch wood) only had two punctures in 12 years of driving. One every six years, both of which could be fixed with tyre weld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

The i3 is a little prone to punctures... my first was within 8 hours of picking the car up and I've had five this year so far. Two of this year's were within 36 hours of each other.... opposite rear tires.
    And two were severe tire damage that required replacement... although luckily one coincided with needing to change the rear tires due to wear anyway.

cros13 wrote: »
    The i3 is a little prone to punctures...

Why would the i3 be more prone than any other car?

Maybe its just that you have soft tyres on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Why would the i3 be more prone than any other car?

Maybe its just that you have soft tyres on?

It's common among i3 owners I'm afraid (http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-tires-seem-flat-prone/).
    One issue that due to the tire's profile the sidewalls are required to be very stiff.
    Another seems to be that the tread pattern of the bridgestone ecopia summer tire (which the i3 comes from the factory with) catches on bolts and screws easily.
    I think the biggest issue is the combination of a high pressure tire with a large angle between the tire and road in the direction of travel, high gross combined weight for the contact patch size and a thin tire wall.
    So a number of factors increasing the likelihood of a foreign object going under the tire, the comparatively large amount of force placed on the contact patch and the inherent fragility of the tire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A full size spare wheel (steel) for a Leaf. Good price (£75) considering it includes a tyre as well.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/142478546951?clk_rvr_id=1286345560061

Can you put on a 16" wheel as a spare if the other 3 are all 17"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can you put on a 16" wheel as a spare if the other 3 are all 17"?
    Yes, I have done so myself.
    Even works on the front wheel.

Advertisement