Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Valencia Manager - Sacked 30th March

• 02-12-2015 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

News breaking now. Im shocked be very interesting to see how he gets on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Had to double check that 'Gary' was the Neville I thought he was!

So, the two brothers running Valencia....
    Nicky Butt for kit-man.... make it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No more Monday Night Football so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Just crazy, does Gary even speak Spanish? Will he keep his brother as assistant? I'd say Valencia fans are going to be up in arms about this. I mean after Moyes bombed, who will want a pundit and England coach taking the helm at one of Spain's biggest clubs?

This will be a car crash.

149.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ScummyMan wrote: »
    No more Monday Night Football so :(

Hope henry doesnt replace him hes brutal. They should just bring in a guest alongside carra each week.

Anyway very risky by valencia i reckon most of their fans wont be happy with this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just crazy, does Gary even speak Spanish? Will he keep his brother as assistant? I'd say Valencia fans are going to be up in arms about this. I mean after Moyes bombed, who will want a pundit and England coach taking the helm at one of Spain's biggest clubs?

Seem to be happy enough from what I've seen so far.

Its a massive task for Gary, and will be fascinating to watch. Always felt he was probably the best pundit out there so it will be interesting to see if he can translate his punditry to a managerial stlye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I can't see this ending well!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I can finally go back to hating him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Interesting! :) I'd be surprised if he succeeds hugely but we'll see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Very interested in seeing how this goes. He's got more chance than most new coaches of being a success and have connections with the owner help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think you have to give him a chance, we're used to Neville, but compare that to a ex-player coming to England to manage who in his playing time had won everything at club level, and has been assistant manager at the national team etc etc blaa blaa

I don't think it's a terrible appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Haha this will surely not go well. Does he even speak Spanish?

martyos121 wrote: »
    Haha this will surely not go well. Does he even speak Spanish?

Did Pochetino or Pelligrini speak English when they came to the premier League? They're both regarded as two of the best coaches in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Interested to see how he gets on, his knowledge and understanding of the game as a pundit was a cut above what sky were used to which was refreshing so maybe he'll be a successful manager, time will tell.

I wouldnt write him off either if in 12months time hes failed.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Interested to see how he gets on, his knowledge and understanding of the game as a pundit was a cut above what sky were used to which was refreshing so maybe he'll be a successful manager, time will tell.

I wouldnt write him off either if in 12months time hes failed.

He's only on a 5 month contract according to sky sports

Jayop wrote: »
    Did Pochetino or Pelligrini speak English when they came to the premier League? They're both regarded as two of the best coaches in the league.

Pellegrini did I believe. I know my post sounds harsh, but Valenica is a big, big job, their fans expect a lot from the team. I don't think it will pan out well, but sure I'm no expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I thought he would have been in line for a job with the UN meself, if he could get 'Pool fans to like him he'd be the best chance at world peace we have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Contracted until June initially. I assume that'll be extended if he's a success.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Pellegrini did I believe. I know my post sounds harsh, but Valenica is a big, big job, their fans expect a lot from the team. I don't think it will pan out well, but sure I'm no expert.

He's got better credentials than 99% of new managers so anyone writing him off can only be doing do because of their own bias.

Ya, I should of said long term, If he does well, he'll probably be kept on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Bring a few players over to salford for the craic gary!! :p:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Pochetino had an interpreter beside him for a while after he arrived in Southampton

BMJD wrote: »
    Pochetino had an interpreter beside him for a while after he arrived in Southampton

I don't think he did a post match in English till he joined Spurs.

BMJD wrote: »

Wasnt there a rumour that he could speak English pretty well but choose to use the interpreter just to be sure he wasnt putting his foot in his mouth and to not be caught out with anything he said in interviews?

Wow, what an unusual appointment

He's got better credentials than 99% of new managers so anyone writing him off can only be doing do because of their own bias.

Credentials don't count for anything until you've proven yourself as a manager. It's his first job as a manager, yes he's been the assistant coach with England, but going out at the group stages in the World Cup is nothing to be proud of.

I'd also say anyone backing him for success is doing so because of their own bias. There's not a whole lot to suggest he'll do a good job. As I said, Valencia is a very hard job. The fans expect big things from the club that often can't be delivered.

He has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'd say his odds on becoming a Man Utd manager at some stage have just been slashed. This will be his audition for the Old Trafford hot seat.

Do well with them for the remainder of this season and next season and with Van Gaal stepping down in 2017 the starts could be aligning perfectly for Neville to be the next Man Utd boss. Very interesting appointment. He obviously has a very good reading of the game and I had wondered if he would ever make the step into club management. Huge first job to take on. Best of luck to him.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Wasnt there a rumour that he could speak English pretty well but choose to use the interpreter just to be sure he wasnt putting his foot in his mouth and to not be caught out with anything he said in interviews?

Yep that was what was said at the time

Pighead wrote: »
    I'd say his odds on becoming a Man Utd manager at some stage have just been slashed. This will be his audition for the Old Trafford hot seat.

Do well with them for the remainder of this season and next season and with Van Gaal stepping down in 2017 the starts could be aligning perfectly for Neville to be the next Man Utd boss. Very interesting appointment. He obviously has a very good reading of the game and I had wondered if he would ever make the step into club management. Huge first job to take on. Best of luck to him.

I thought Giggs might be lined up for it but a successful period for Neville as you say will definitely put him ahead of him in the pecking order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    I thought Giggs might be lined up for it but a successful period for Neville as you say will definitely put him ahead of him in the pecking order

Neville just seems more suited than Giggs. I know we're not privy to what goes on behind the scenes and on the training ground but Neville comes across as infinitely more knowledgeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Isn't Valencia owned by the class of 92's billionaire backer at Salford City.

Just crazy, does Gary even speak Spanish?

He barely speaks English. Granted, I guess in football anything better than "we was robbed" and "the boy done well" is positively loquacious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Carragher upon hearing the news of Neville leaving his position with Sky...

https://twitter.com/Carra23/status/672024783404552192

CSF wrote: »
    Neville just seems more suited than Giggs. I know we're not privy to what goes on behind the scenes and on the training ground but Neville comes across as infinitely more knowledgeable.

Coming across as knowledgeable in itself doesn't transfer to being a good manager though.

I've rarely heard Giggs speak tbh so no idea how knowledgeable he even is!

But yeah, Neville speaks well and understands the game.

Very interested to see how he does.

Would love to see him as Utd manager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Isn't Valencia owned by the class of 92's billionaire backer at Salford City.

Yes it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Wow, I'm shocked by this news!

Good luck to him, hated him as a player obviously ( Liverpool fan) but loved him on Sky, gutted that he won't be doing MNF anymore.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Coming across as knowledgeable in itself doesn't transfer to being a good manager though.

I've rarely heard Giggs speak tbh so no idea how knowledgeable he even is!

But yeah, Neville speaks well and understands the game.

Very interested to see how he does.

Would love to see him as Utd manager

I'd prefer to see Moyes be given another chance. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I really do hope he does well. Brave move for him to go straight into a managerial role in Spain, at quite a big club, with only his assistant role with England behind him.

Not sure many other young managers would be so quick to start a career off like that, but then again, perhaps not many would get the opportunity, either.

He'll have a lot of obstacles to overcome, such as language, culture, inexperience, and having his brother as an assistant.

Definitely curious to see what happens, that's for sure.

He barely speaks English. Granted, I guess in football anything better than "we was robbed" and "the boy done well" is positively loquacious...

Absolute nonsense, but not unexpected.

As for those questioning me saying he had better credentials than the majority of other NEW managers, of course the proof of the pudding is in how he actually does in his job, but, he's clearly got the tools and football knowledge and experience at the top that puts him in front of most other newbies. Everything we've ever been told about him and his personality leads to the conclusion he's suited to be a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bit of a bizarre appointment, obviously a lot to do with Peter Lim being there. Will be interesting to see how he gets on. A job in England way have been an easier start but it's great experience for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Great move for Gary. Not many people get to cut their teeth at such a high profile club.
    It may not end well but it will be a learning curve with experience that can't be bought or practiced. Best of luck to him, there's always the chance that he will take to it like a duck to water and be a massive success too so fingers crossed.
    He sure surprised a lot of people with how natural the punditry came to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

As long as they don't replace him with Michael Owen on MNF....

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

An interesting appointment, best of luck to him

The more players of his caliber who go into management and succeed can only be good for the game, you would imagine they would be a bit more progressive and innovative with tactics

That plus they don't need to do it financially so should have the passion for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I think it's a mad appointment tbh. A huge gamble and probably one that won't pay off given his lack of management experience. However, I've begrudgingly grown to really like Neville and I'd love to see him do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Publicity stunt in my opinion. The owner of Valencia is a friend of Neville's, and owns 50% of Salford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Think he's making a mistake. Even Pep and Jose would likely struggle at Valencia. Nuno wasn't exactly doing a bad job with them last season. This season their form has been poor, but it cannot be overstated how much of an internal mess Valencia is still in. To paraphrase Sid Lowe, most managers there get the sack simply because the board has to do something, anything, to keep their own jobs.

David Moyes didn't speak a word of Spanish. It got so bad that some sociadad players actually tried to learn english! Spain is a very different culture to england. Players, are in general, more technically gifted and intelligent footballing wise. Tactics needed to be explained and justified. Tactical discussions will be very hard unless you speak the language or have a damn good interpreter that can speak the very pedantic nuances.

I wish Gary well, but it's not a job I'd recommend for a manager like him who does appear to have potential. Too big of a gamble that could sully his reputation. Hopefully, though it won't and he'll blossom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Is Neville qualified as a head coach? Has he done his uefa badges and stuff?
    Bizzare is right..... Talking ould guff on TV is light years away from real coaching, especially for him in spain which is a completely different culture as someone has explained already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone wrote: »
    Publicity stunt in my opinion. The owner of Valencia is a friend of Neville's, and owns 50% of Salford.

In what way, shape or form is it a publicity stunt? He wouldn't be that well known in Spain so I really don't get how it's a publicity stunt.

I do think it's a strange appointment, but in no way a publicity stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Best of luck to him. He's passionate, knowledge about the game, speaks a lot of sense and is usually realistic. I hope it all translates into results on the pitch for Valencia.

It's a no lose situation for him. It's a short term contract with lots of possible obstacles to overcome (new culture, language, league, first experience as a manager, etc). If it goes well, his stock will rise significantly. If it doesn't, there are plenty of mitigating factors.

I hope he does brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

SantryRed wrote: »
    In what way, shape or form is it a publicity stunt? He wouldn't be that well known in Spain so I really don't get how it's a publicity stunt.

I do think it's a strange appointment, but in no way a publicity stunt.

Its a publicity stunt to raise the profile of the club. And its already working, I mean up until today, the only time Valencia was mentioned on Boards was on the shipping forecasts.

I think he will be gone at the end of the season and a real manager will be appointed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement