Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Valencia Manager - Sacked 30th March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If he can overcome the language and culture barrier and does enough to get his contract extended past June then he will have done well. It's a very tough job in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lol he wouldn't be well known in Spain. He's as well known there as Ramos would be here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

v3ttel wrote: »
    Best of luck to him. He's passionate, knowledge about the game, speaks a lot of sense and is usually realistic. I hope it all translates into results on the pitch for Valencia.

It's a no lose situation for him. It's a short term contract with lots of possible obstacles to overcome (new culture, language, league, first experience as a manager, etc). If it goes well, his stock will rise significantly. If it doesn't, there are plenty of mitigating factors.

I hope he does brilliantly.

Wouldn't call it a no-lose situation myself, if anything it's a thankless job. It's one of the most high pressure, cutthroat jobs in European football. There's a pretty good squad there, peppered with talent like Parejo, Feghouli, Gaya, Mustafi etc, but because of that the board and the fans expect top four every year, which isn't feasible given that they're competing with many other clubs for just one place, since Barca and the Madrids are so far ahead of the rest. When a manager there fails to get top four, he's rarely given enough time to go again the next season.

Even though I don't like Neville, I do wish him well there, I just don't think he's ready for that job though and he'll do well to last the five months, let alone an extension.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Turtwig wrote: »
    Think he's making a mistake. Even Pep and Jose would likely struggle at Valencia. Nuno wasn't exactly doing a bad job with them last season. This season their form has been poor, but it cannot be overstated how much of an internal mess Valencia is still in. To paraphrase Sid Lowe, most managers there get the sack simply because the board has to do something, anything, to keep their own jobs.

Very much agree. The problem of Mendes players as far as the eye can see. They're a bit of a circus at the moment.

Not really a healthy proposition to take as a first job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Anyone wrote: »
    Its a publicity stunt to raise the profile of the club. And its already working, I mean up until today, the only time Valencia was mentioned on Boards was on the shipping forecasts.

I'm speechless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,847 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its a publicity stunt to raise the profile of the club. And its already working, I mean up until today, the only time Valencia was mentioned on Boards was on the shipping forecasts.

I think he will be gone at the end of the season and a real manager will be appointed.

Thats actually a load of nonsence. Valancia are a well established club who have won 6 or 7 La Liga titles and several Copa Del Reys over the years. As well as competing in europe at the highest level including a Champions League Final. Good going considering the nature of the competition in that league and of course europe. They have had a host of great players of the game pull on their shirt also throughout the years so a bit disrespectful and misfounded on your behalf.

Its all about results on the pitch. Those saying he will fail.. those saying he will do a good job.. well you each have a 50 - 50 chance of being right either way. Neville is a good football man who has won practicially everything as a player.. a great competitor and he had to get his first break in managment somewhere and hey.. its Valencia... id like to see him do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

martyos121 wrote: »
    Wouldn't call it a no-lose situation myself, if anything it's a thankless job. It's one of the most high pressure, cutthroat jobs in European football. There's a pretty good squad there, peppered with talent like Parejo, Feghouli, Gaya, Mustafi etc, but because of that the board and the fans expect top four every year, which isn't feasible given that they're competing with many other clubs for just one place, since Barca and the Madrids are so far ahead of the rest. When a manager there fails to get top four, he's rarely given enough time to go again the next season.

Even though I don't like Neville, I do wish him well there, I just don't think he's ready for that job though and he'll do well to last the five months, let alone an extension.

That's exactly why it's a no lose situation. Nobody expects him to do really well and future employers wouldn't hold it against him given how Valencia operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Good luck to him next stop England job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Does he have the UEFA licenses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My mate said earlier Gary Neville got the Valenica job I was like no its Phil is the assistant. He will be badly missed on Sky, I do look forward to him and Carra on MNF, but I will admit as a Liverpool fan he is much more interesting of the 2 to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Does he have the UEFA licenses?

He was partaking on the course in the spring of 2014, seems reasonable to presume he has finished it by now.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/28/fa-uefa-pro-licence-course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

rob316 wrote: »
    My mate said earlier Gary Neville got the Valenica job I was like no its Phil is the assistant. He will be badly missed on Sky, I do look forward to him and Carra on MNF, but I will admit as a Liverpool fan he is much more interesting of the 2 to listen to.

Weirdly as a united fan i prefer Carragher but tbh there both great and gary will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

First game against Barcelona? Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think he will be gone at the end of the season and a real manager will be appointed.

Ok.

Because getting a few more mentions in the UK > qualifying for the CL which is 5 points away presently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

sky88 wrote: »
    Weirdly as a united fan i prefer Carragher but tbh there both great and gary will be missed

The worst part of this happening is this fella will probably replace him on MNF.

ftj11.jpg

God help us all.

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »

He's leaving Phil to take that pasting and then he's taking over :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Don't think he takes over until after that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm assuming you know who Rafa Benitez is? Therefore I'm assuming you knew he managed Valencia pretty succesfully?

I'm sure now when they hired Neville they werent thinking, hang on a minute, dya know what we need to do? We need to increase our stature in England. We need a few die hard day tourists from England turning up and supporting our club, find us an up and coming coach that will appeal to the masses in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

You would think he died the way Sky are going on.

As far as their Monday night ratings are concerned he may as well have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jayop wrote: »
    As far as their Monday night ratings are concerned he may as well have done.

Ridiculous it will be grand. I think hes a fantastic pundit but ffs people go on like hes the saviour of people who sit in a chair talking about football.

i will miss his communion suits though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He's got better credentials than 99% of new managers so anyone writing him off can only be doing do because of their own bias.

Sorry, but that is nonsense of the highest order. What "credentials" has he got??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wouldn't be a big G Neville fan, very big job And it'll be interesting to see if he can put in practice all that scripted bollox he talks on Monday nights.

Anyway good luck to the lad but I expect him to fail and the united contingent to make out he done a somewhat decent job.

Sorry, but that is nonsense of the highest order. What "credentials" has he got??

As I've already stated, I'm only talking in terms of someone who's brand new as a manager. He's got better creds than the vast majority of other first time managers.

He's played at the highest level under one of the greatest managers for his entire career.
    He's already involved in coaching with a national set up
    He's clearly a very intelligent and articulate man who knows a lot about the game, more so than any other pundit I've ever heard in my life.
    He's well respected from his work on Sky and his career with United.

The vast majority of other first time managers have either none of that or only some of that. Clearly all is are credentials and the fact remains that he's unproven until he proves otherwise. He's got the tools though.

ricero wrote: »
    Ridiculous it will be grand. I think hes a fantastic pundit but ffs people go on like hes the saviour of people who sit in a chair talking about football.

i will miss his communion suits though

Put Henry and Carragher in there and watch it tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Its Monday night football that will have died.
    Still, Monday night games are on bt from next season, right? Sky going for the Friday games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As I've already stated, I'm only talking in terms of someone who's brand new as a manager. He's got better creds than the vast majority of other first time managers.

He's played at the highest level under one of the greatest managers for his entire career.
    He's clearly a very intelligent and articulate man who knows a lot about the game, more so than any other pundit I've ever heard in my life.

The vast majority of other first time managers have either none of that or only some of that. Clearly all is are credentials and the fact remains that he's unproven until he proves otherwise. He's got the tools though.

Roy Keane played under 2 of the greatest managers ever in English football. Clough and Fergie. Didn't make him a good manager.

Like any other new manager Neville has zero credentials other than putting out cones for England. Huge gamble and I don't think it will pay off.

Roy Keane played under 2 of the greatest managers ever in English football. Clough and Fergie. Didn't make him a good manager.

Like any other new manager Neville has zero credentials other than putting out cones for England. Huge gamble and I don't think it will pay off.

Keane's biggest problem is his personality, that's something that Neville doesn't seem to have a problem with.

If you don't think the stuff I listed is important then surely someone who played a few seasons with Sligo Rovers could have easily gotten the job.

Or....those "qualifications" could be relevant and could be why players who played at the top for so long have been given opportunities quicker than other lesser players.

Have you ever seen Cruyff doing punditry? I think not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Surely someone from Sligo Rovers would have to be friends with one of the owners to get the job?

• Advertisement

Jayop wears Gary Neville jocks.

Have you ever seen Cruyff doing punditry? I think not.

I'm sure there's some pundit from another country that I've not seen that's better too. Hence why I actually said "I've ever heard".
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Surely someone from Sligo Rovers would have to be friends with one of the owners to get the job?

It would certainly help.
    Jayop wears Gary Neville jocks.

Yeah I'm a fan of his and I'm a United fan. If you'd asked me back in 2006ish if I felt he'd make a good manager I'd have been dubious, but a lot of what I've seen, heard and read since has convinced me he has what it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Well, if he does as well as all of Fergie's other disciplines, he'll be home by Easter

I'm sure there's some pundit from another country that I've not seen that's better too. Hence why I actually said "I've ever heard".

It would certainly help.

Yeah I'm a fan of his and I'm a United fan. If you'd asked me back in 2006ish if I felt he'd make a good manager I'd have been dubious, but a lot of what I've seen, heard and read since has convinced me he has what it takes.

I agree with you, I really enjoy him on MNF and think he will do well, but you never know whether his knowledge of the game will translate.

Just because he talks a good game doesn't mean he can back it up in practice.

I believe it was acclaimed thespian Jack Black who one said, "Those that can do, and those that can't teach."

What have you seen that makes you think he'd make a top manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Sad to see him leave Sky, but I hope he does well in Spain.

Sky will most likely have Henry on Monday nights with Carragher now. It would look bad if they had Redknapp and Carragher on together with 0 PL medals between them.

Nib wrote: »
    Sad to see him leave Sky, but I hope he does well in Spain.

Sky will most likely have Henry on Monday nights with Carragher now. It would look bad if they had Redknapp and Carragher on together with 0 PL medals between them.

Well done on being that guy

Well, if he does as well as all of Fergie's other disciplines, he'll be home by Easter

Many of his ex players have had good careers as managers, although most were ill suites to the modern game. The next lot should do better as they were more modern in their play and had the influence of top foreign coaches at United too.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Well done on being that guy

Well done for being predictably negative in this thread with a user name like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Wonder what the Valencia fans are making of this.

Well done for being predictably negative in this thread with a user name like that.

"Liverpool fan doesn't like Gary Neville" shocker.

Come on, are you that naive? If I had a penny for every negative comment a United fan left about a Liverpool player, I'd be paying my water charges.

??

I hope he does great tbh. I'm a fan of Neville.

Hope he does great there

Stop making stuff up!

Wonder what the Valencia fans are making of this.

70% positive on a poll in SuperDeporte

http://www.superdeporte.es/encuestas/le-das-un-voto-de-confianza-a-gary-neville-como-entrenador-del-valencia-cf.html
    "Liverpool fan doesn't like Gary Neville" shocker.

Come on, are you that naive? If I had a penny for every negative comment a United fan left about a Liverpool player, I'd be paying my water charges.

:pac: I like the bit at the end!!!

Aye, I slag Liverpool players all the time, but I'm also able to engage in a serious discussion about whether one of them could potentially be a success as a manager without just saying no because he's a former Liverpool player. If I wasn't able to engage properly I just wouldn't bother getting involved because I'd end up looking like a muppet.

I'm not just saying I think Neville will be a success because he's ex United. I think there's loads of our decorated players who I wouldn't say could do a good job in my opinion. The guy most likely to be our next manager is a case in point and I'd imagine the vast majority of United fans would think the same. In fact, if Neville does manage to do a decent job here you'd assume he could leapfrog Giggs as the new heir apparent.

http://www.superdeporte.es/encuestas/le-das-un-voto-de-confianza-a-gary-neville-como-entrenador-del-valencia-cf.html

Aye, I slag Liverpool players all the time, but I'm also able to engage in a serious discussion about whether one of them could potentially be a success as a manager without just saying no because he's a former Liverpool player. If I wasn't able to engage properly I just wouldn't bother getting involved because I'd end up looking like a muppet.

I'm not just saying I think Neville will be a success because he's ex United. I think there's loads of our decorated players who I wouldn't say could do a good job in my opinion. The guy most likely to be our next manager is a case in point and I'd imagine the vast majority of United fans would think the same. In fact, if Neville does manage to do a decent job here you'd assume he could leapfrog Giggs as the new heir apparent.

I agree with you that Neville could become a great manager, but I'll stand by my point that taking the Valencia job will do him no favours. We can only wait and see how it pans out sure, we can all agree at least that MNF will be much worse off without him. It will be hard to replace him.

You're posts are ironic.

You're actually the one coming across with the most bias of all posters on this thread :pac:

• Advertisement

I agree with you that Neville could become a great manager, but I'll stand by my point that taking the Valencia job will do him no favours. We can only wait and see how it pans out sure, we can all agree at least that MNF will be much worse off without him. It will be hard to replace him.

Someone above was asking what the Valencia fans though. The comments section on the main article linked below is very telling. Most are positive, some are negative, a lot are realistic.

My favourite was this one...

http://www.superdeporte.es/valencia/2015/12/02/gary-neville-nuevo-entrenador-valencia/278362.html
    # 146 - jonathan fernandez Salcedo on 02/12/2015 at 18:26:24
    ( 4 Votes)
    Having no experience means absolutely nothing. This case Guardiola with Barcelona, ​​Benitez with Valencia, Atletico Simeone, even Tito Vilanova rest in peace won a league with Barcelona, ​​is not necessarily the coaching experience that gives you the footballing wisdom if not the many have played most demanding games like Champions League finals, semifinals, leagues etc. Still any coach Valencia are doomed to failure when you lose two games neville go now and everything has gotten away. Soon will come and go lim, lim is fed up and angry and we require all loan ungrateful and Valencia will go to ruin and disappear because of his hobby. It is what it is.

it's a rough Google translation but it relates to what you say. The Valencia job is a tough gig.

edit: Some of the translations are hilarious.
    I think we should give confidence to Neville, and nobody knows a broken wardrobe that a former footballer.

I think the broken wardrobe should have translated as something to do with the locker room.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're posts are ironic.

You're actually the one coming across with the most bias of all posters on this thread :pac:

What's the bias? I've stated all along I like Neville and I think he'll make a good manager. That's not bias it's just my opinion. The bias is coming from people who don't rate him purely because he's ex United.

If I only rated him because he's ex United then it would be bias. But I don't so it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think we need a new thread/poll to debate the future of football punditry on MNF? It's clearly weighing heavily on many a mind! :pac:

I think we need a new thread/poll to debate the future of football punditry on MNF? It's clearly weighing heavily on many a mind!:pac:

Aye a separate thread would be no harm.

It's going to be Henry though. My only hope is Lampard might take the gig in the short term during the break in the US and then take it full time after.

Eamon Dunphy on Monday Night Football. Him and Carra together, that would be interesting television to say the least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement