Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Valencia Manager - Sacked 30th March

Comments

Jayop wrote: »
    What's the bias? I've stated all along I like Neville and I think he'll make a good manager. That's not bias it's just my opinion. The bias is coming from people who don't rate him purely because he's ex United.

If I only rated him because he's ex United then it would be bias. But I don't so it's not.

Maybe if you're 14.

Most people think it's a tough job for him as he has no experience of managing a big/any club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

This will be worse than Koeman's terrible tenure when he brought them from a top 4 side to relegation candidates. I'd be fairly pissed off if I was a Valencia fan. Another 2 steps backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What's the bias? I've stated all along I like Neville and I think he'll make a good manager. That's not bias it's just my opinion. The bias is coming from people who don't rate him purely because he's ex United. /QUOTE]

No I reckon that it's because he's never managed a club before and is now in the 3rd or 4th biggest job in Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Many of his ex players have had good careers as managers, although most were ill suites to the modern game. The next lot should do better as they were more modern in their play and had the influence of top foreign coaches at United too.

Can't think of many tbh. The only one really making a fist of it is Hughes, and he's had a few false starts, and is still probably only matching his wage bill in terms of league position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Can't think of many tbh. The only one really making a fist of it is Hughes, and he's had a few false starts, and is still probably only matching his wage bill in terms of league position.

I said good careers, not championship winning careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Valencia is a very, very difficult job. This is mainly due to the, some would say, unrealistically high expectations of the fans there.

The club let Unai Emery go even though he finished 3rd three seasons in a row behind Guardiola's Barca and Pellegrini and then Mourinho's Real.

The fans were booing him even as Emery was was doing this. Remember as well that he was having all his best players (Mata, Villa and Silva) sold from out under him as the club were in serious debt at the time.

There will be a brief, and I do mean brief, honeymoon period, but if Neville isn't getting sustained results by February, he'll be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Surprise appointment sure, maybe a little bizzare in that you think he would have chisen a smaller club to start but obviously he knew people so why not.

Think it's a solid move. Adopt a different style. Good for his career. Even if he fails he'll have something that a lot of young British coaches won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Keane's biggest problem is his personality, that's something that Neville doesn't seem to have a problem with.

If you don't think the stuff I listed is important then surely someone who played a few seasons with Sligo Rovers could have easily gotten the job.

Or....those "qualifications" could be relevant and could be why players who played at the top for so long have been given opportunities quicker than other lesser players.

These qualifications, Mourinhio, Wenger, and many others don't have them but seem to have gotten on ok.

These qualifications, Mourinhio, Wenger, and many others don't have them but seem to have gotten on ok.

I didn't ever say they were essential did I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

On the surface it looks to be a very strange appointment! I am delighted for him though, hope he acquits himself well and has some success. Has a great level of football intelligence and if he can translate that into his coaching and motivate players then who knows how far he could go

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The fans will give him a chance to prove himself; he's got the job now so we might as well get behind him as much as possible. Especially as he is not involved with Jorge Mendes.

However, it is a very frustrating appointment for a couple of reasons.

First, the appointment does not appear to have been made on merit. For the second time in a row, the Valencia manager has been chosen for personal reasons. Lim's association with Salford United is the only possible explanation for the choice. Similarly, Nuno was plucked from obscurity because of his association with Jorge Mendes.

Second, Valencia fans were crying out for an experienced, safe managerial choice. Even a semi-safe choice. In a short time Pellegrino, Nuno and now Neville have all been hired from obscurity, and in that time Emery, Valverde and Pizzi (three managers with experience) have been let go. The easy group in the Champions League draw was squandered, and it would be terrible to not qualify next season. The club cannot afford to lose the likes of Gaya, Mustafi and Paco due to lack of CL football. A manager to bring confidence was what was wanted.

The club has finally solved its financial crisis through Lim, but the sideshow continues. The positives are that 1) Neville is not a Mendes puppet, and hopefully this will see the end of crazy overspending and complete focus on Mendes clients. 2) This might just be a stop-gap solution until the real targets become available in summer. If Neville has a great 6 months, then he'll have earned more time, and if he flops Valencia might finally spend on getting a high-profile replacement.

So much damage was done during Nuno's reign: all the management staff the fans liked including club legends like Salvo, Ayala and Rufete were shown the door after clashing with Mendes, the transfer policy last summer was a complete farce etc etc. Hopefully Neville has what it takes because Valencia need a leader badly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Valencia are doing ok in the league, why have they sacked the manager in the first place? Im delighted for Gary, good to see some managers trying abroad before England

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

astonaidan wrote: »
    Valencia are doing ok in the league, why have they sacked the manager in the first place? Im delighted for Gary, good to see some managers trying abroad before England

Valencia are doing absolutely atrociously in the league and the champions league. They scored 8 goals in a week at the start of November. Without that 7 day period the club would have scored less than 10 goals this season. Also, probably eliminated from a rubbish group in the Champions League.

It's truly awful stuff from a side who were excellent last season.

Watched a little of his press conference there and I was impressed by what he said and how he said it. His media experience and connections will be of more of a help to him in a British job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

BMJD wrote: »
    Pochetino had an interpreter beside him for a while after he arrived in Southampton

So did Bobby Robson when he managed Barcelona, went on to manage himself I believe (:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

He's on to his third bottle of water, thanks ssn for informing me on this developing situation

For anyone wondering how their fans would react, it's pretty clear from this.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/08/gary-neville-valencia-training-lyon-champions-league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fantastic support there. But its all about results. They will turn on him quickly if they keep losing games. Getting out of that group in the champions league would be a great start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Neville Out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Genk won so the Valencia result didnt matter to the group, not that Neville will have wanted to start like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Going on what a lot of people are saying, Valencia were the better team in the first half, and a goal wrongly ruled offside.

Still, you don't want to be losing 2 nil at home to Genk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Knex. wrote: »
    Going on what a lot of people are saying, Valencia were the better team in the first half, and a goal wrongly ruled offside.

Still, you don't want to be losing 2 nil at home to Genk.

*Lyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone hear his interview with Sky Sports? Sounds like he can't wait to get out of management already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone hear his interview with Sky Sports? Sounds like he can't wait to get out of management already.
    Think he's trying to take the pressure off himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Think he's trying to take the pressure off himself

The pressure at Valencia is pretty big.

Can only imagine the pressure at Old Trafford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did he do a Spanish accent?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So 2 months in and it is going terrible for g nev. Think he will be sacked within the next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is unmitigated disaster too strong a phrase?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Undermines his media career a bit doesn't it. When he is back in the studio full time, it'll be slightly easier to take him down a peg or two!

I'd say the players are having none of it.

Undermines his media career a bit doesn't it. When he is back in the studio full time, it'll be slightly easier to take him down a peg or two!

Managers too I'd imagine will throw it back in his face!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's only had 7 league games. As poor as the results have been since he's taken over, it's a bit early for this type of talk.

They played quite well in the last game and should have won comfortably only for Negredo missing three sitters. I'd be giving it another while yet to gauge whether or not he'll be able to get them going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Managers too I'd imagine will throw it back in his face!

The media ranks are choc full of managers with a sacking or two on their CV, this won't matter to Nevilles media career in the slightest, not least because it will have happened overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The media ranks are choc full of managers with a sacking or two on their CV, this won't matter to Nevilles media career in the slightest, not least because it will have happened overseas.

I agree with that, although he can now no longer criticise and be free from experience of such jobs. People will rightly have ammunition against him now, it's the way it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Corholio wrote: »
    I agree with that, although he can now no longer criticise and be free from experience of such jobs. People will rightly have ammunition against him now, it's the way it goes.

Nobody needs ammunition against pundits, you won't see managers lining up to respond to anything said on Monday night football and they certainly won't be attacking Neville in response to any criticism, regardless of this job or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Was never going to be anything other than a disaster. From putting out cones and fetching the water for England to one of the biggest jobs in Spain. Was obvious he was going to be a massive flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Blatter wrote: »
    He's only had 7 league games. As poor as the results have been since he's taken over, it's a bit early for this type of talk.

They played quite well in the last game and should have won comfortably only for Negredo missing three sitters. I'd be giving it another while yet to gauge whether or not he'll be able to get them going.

One of the reasons Nuno was sacked was for not playing Negredo!

Valencia were doing fine under Nuno, but Valencias insane fans did not want him due to some infighting in the club. The teams form has nose dived under a novice manager who doesnt even speak the language.

If some pundit from Spain were given a top job in England with no prior experience, the same questions would be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

4 full backs starting vs Barca

CaT8YUsWIAEgsK2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

a embarrassing lose tonight does it mean g nev and valencia are done ? to borrow a phrase from this forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Valencia are 20/1 on tonight to win.

That's insane odds for two Primera teams regardless of how awesome Barca are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

quarryman wrote: »

20/1 on? :confused:
    No way, Barca are 8/1 on themselves!

• Advertisement

quarryman wrote: »

Best price 25/1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

kfallon wrote: »
    20/1 on? :confused:
    No way, Barca are 8/1 on themselves!

Sorry. Meant 20/1. Not on.

Not that it matters now. This is a paddlin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Done worse than I could have imagined. He'll be sacked soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah this is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I just don't understand why he took this job. :confused:

I know there's the Salford connection with the owner, but he'll have been on a very, very good wage with Sky so money likely can't have been the driving factor and he'll obviously have known the type of situation he was going in to. Crazy.

I still think he may make a good manager in the UK and would like to see it happen just to find out one way or another, but he (and potential employers) might be put off for good now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Paully D wrote: »
    I just don't understand why he took this job. :confused:

I know there's the Salford connection with the owner, but he'll have been on a very, very good wage with Sky so money likely can't have been the driving factor and he'll obviously have known the type of situation he was going in to. Crazy.

I still think he may make a good manager in the UK and would like to see it happen just to find out one way or another, but he (and potential employers) might be put off for good now.

I'd say like pretty much all professional sportsmen he must have unbelievable confidence in himself and 100% believed he would be a success.

It was an unbelievably daft decision by Valencias ownership to give him the job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rafa or Pele to be interiming before too long? I wonder does Salford City need a manager? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

anyone know if this is real quotes lol?
    CaUwFgQXEAEe6Fy.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MD1990 wrote: »
    anyone know if this is real quotes lol?
    CaUwFgQXEAEe6Fy.jpg:large

CaV6O8mUAAAQdXK.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just goes to show we should put little faith in all these TV pundits.

Most are afraid to take on a coaching or managerial role, and when they do they tend to be shown up.

I listened to peope say how he really knew his stuff and was Sky's best eve pundit. Now they are saying he's a fool.

Advertisement