Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Valencia Manager - Sacked 30th March

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hopefully this is the start of a good run for him

Unfortunately for Gary, football managing involves more than just hoping, he's not good enough at this level. Great win for him but Valencia was just too big a job for him to start off with. But I guess opportunities like this don't come around that often so he had to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Gary, football managing involves more than just hoping, he's not good enough at this level. Great win for him but Valencia was just too big a job for him to start off with. But I guess opportunities like this don't come around that often so he had to go for it.

I wouldn't be so quick to call time on him tbh.

There are very few things that can't change quickly in football.

Yesterday he either had things figured out well and communicated a plan to his players ... OR ... he had his squad chomping at the bit and raring to go.

It may not work out for him but you don't see failing managers handing out trashings very often regardless of the opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hopefully this is the start of a good run for him

I had the standard ABU attitude for years. They were just too successful for many of us to be honest.

However, I think the league is less interesting without the quality of a strong Utd side.

I would love to see Neville take up the reins someday and do well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

4 wins on the trot for Neville now. The lack of activity in this thread is pretty interesting in comparison to when he was doing badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Blatter wrote: »
    4 wins on the trot for Neville now. The lack of activity in this thread is pretty interesting in comparison to when he was doing badly.

Haters gunna hate. It's natural really that non United fans are only going to post in here when they're having a laugh.

He's really turned it around there too. Apparently the performances have been much better. Tried to watch the game on Sunday but I got a better offer in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jayop wrote: »
    Haters gunna hate. It's natural really that non United fans are only going to post in here when they're having a laugh.

He's really turned it around there too. Apparently the performances have been much better. Tried to watch the game on Sunday but I got a better offer in the afternoon.

Has he though? Didn't they get a new assistant manager in?

Mushy wrote: »
    Has he though? Didn't they get a new assistant manager in?

OK then it was all the assistant.

Jayop wrote: »
    OK then it was all the assistant.

Don't mean it to be a slight on Gary, but its very coincidental. I hope he does well.

Don't mean it to be a slight on Gary, but its very coincidental. I hope he does well.

It could be seen that a good manager works with good people and can share the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The manager has the final say regardless on everything, most likely the new assistant was better at communicating his ideas to the players considering Neville's extremely basic Spanish.

Hopefully it continues, nice to see it turn around for him, thought he was doomed recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They haven't exactly had any tough games though. Espanyol (which they were somewhat fortuitous to beat), Granada and Rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Turtwig wrote: »
    They haven't exactly had any tough games though. Espanyol (which they were somewhat fortuitous to beat), Granada and Rapid.

No but their confidence was at rock bottom and I don't care what team you are, 4 wins on the bounce is gonna lift it considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Neville is starting to do better with confidence coming back into the team. Still don't think he should be a long term coach of the club but at least he is no longer a laughing stock.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Neville is starting to do better with confidence coming back into the team. Still don't think he should be a long term coach of the club but at least he is no longer a laughing stock.

Isn't he only there till the season is over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Isn't he only there till the season is over?

There's a rumour doing the rounds that he'll be offered a 2 year deal. Premature, once they start playing even average teams again they'll be back to losing ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Turtwig wrote: »

They were massive games though considering the circumstances, the Espanyol one especially.

I really hope he gets the job full time at the end of the season as it would genuinely be interesting to see how he gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 'new assistant honeymoon' is over already.

Beaten 3-0 at home to Bilbao.

• Corholio wrote: »
    The 'new assistant honeymoon' is over already.

Beaten 3-0 at home to Bilbao.

He will be slated

Very bad result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Almost time to rename the thread 'Gary Neville'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He still sucks i see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ahh you'd expect Aletico to beat most Valencia sides. So I'd give Gary a pass on that one. The problem is you wouldn't expect it to be that easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

A 1-0 defeat in the derby to Levante, who are bottom of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Blatter wrote: »
    LOL nope. G neville is still a jabroni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/21/valencia-gary-neville-contract-coach
    Gary Neville insisted he would not resign after Sunday’s 2-0 defeat by Celta Vigo prompted chants from Valencia fans for him to leave but his time at Mestalla will not now extend beyond the end of the season unless there is an unexpected turnaround.

A meeting with the club’s owners has been pencilled in for April but both parties are aware that there are few reasons for his five-month deal to be extended. It is not just a case of Valencia’s willingness to offer Neville a new deal but also that the Englishman, aware that results mean he has not earned it, will not demand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd say he will be happy to go when his deal runs out, too much too soon perhaps, especially considering it was in a different country, different language, different footballing culture and a very highly strung climate because of the club itself.

Fair play to him for giving it a go, hopefully he learns from this failure and carries something forward.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,847 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fair play to him for giving it a go, hopefully he learns from this failure and carries something forward.

This ^ A Lot of people early doors in this thread, perhaps with an agenda of sorts, ok no perhaps about it, were yeah he will fail etc etc smug and some.. well that is a great prediction. Just like calling a coin toss, it's either heads or tails, no great genius there.

The fact that he had the balls to do it, give it his best shot says more then anything. I've watched many of their games and to be honest he did not inherit a great team whatsoever and has had no time as such to bring in his own men... it's been work with what you have and to be honest he doesn't have much. Two keepers in my view for a start are not only in the wrong team but the wrong league they are that bad and the rest of the defense isn't all that and things only marginally improve going up the field.

Either way he seems like a solid, sound football guy and a resilient character and I'm sure the sort of individual who will have learned from his first shot at management and from the mistakes he made himself along the way...

Strumms wrote: »
    This ^ A Lot of people early doors in this thread, perhaps with an agenda of sorts...

Speaking of agendas, you wouldn't be a ManU fan praising Neville just because he played for the club you follow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,847 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Speaking of agendas, you wouldn't be a ManU fan praising Neville just because he played for the club you follow?

You are correct.... I wouldn't be a Man Utd fan.. who is praising GN because he played for the club I follow... I really don't dish out praise that easily based on such associations... feel free to enter the wider debate of course and anything more insightful from you as opposed to the above as quoted would be most welcome I am sure... any opinion on his team, teams selection , what he did right ? what he did wrong ? no anything ? :eek:

This ^ A Lot of people early doors in this thread, perhaps with an agenda of sorts, ok no perhaps about it, were yeah he will fail etc etc smug and some.. well that is a great prediction. Just like calling a coin toss, it's either heads or tails, no great genius there.

The fact that he had the balls to do it, give it his best shot says more then anything. I've watched many of their games and to be honest he did not inherit a great team whatsoever and has had no time as such to bring in his own men... it's been work with what you have and to be honest he doesn't have much. Two keepers in my view for a start are not only in the wrong team but the wrong league they are that bad and the rest of the defense isn't all that and things only marginally improve going up the field.

Either way he seems like a solid, sound football guy and a resilient character and I'm sure the sort of individual who will have learned from his first shot at management and from the mistakes he made himself along the way...

Had the balls to do it?? Absolutely farcical. He's being paid handsomely to manage one of the biggest clubs in Europe. 99% of professional managers will never even get the chance to manage at that level in their career and it was put on a plate for him after a couple of sessions putting out comes for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'd prefer if he stayed at Valencia - it'd mean we wouldn't have to listen to him droning on at Sky Sports.

• Advertisement

You are correct.... I wouldn't be a Man Utd fan.. who is praising GN because he played for the club I follow... I really don't dish out praise that easily based on such associations... feel free to enter the wider debate of course and anything more insightful from you as opposed to the above as quoted would be most welcome I am sure... any opinion on his team, teams selection , what he did right ? what he did wrong ? no anything ? :eek:

Very simple. Out of his depth. For any number of reasons, experience, language etc. etc.

It's ironic that those who you suggest had the agendas by and large spotted this prospect. Maybe, now that he turned out to be poor, it's time to just accept that criticism of his appointment and reign was valid instead of having a go at the motives of those who pointed it out?

The Valencia job was hubris and more to the point a favour from Peter Lim who has an interest in Salford City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Decisions to take jobs never seem to be mentioned when something doesn't go quite right, especially with young managers. It's always 'fair play to him for trying' 'he'll learn from the experience' or 'it won't affect him getting jobs' completely nullifying any terrible results or tactics they put out. When I first heard that Neville could be in line for the Valencia job I thought it was a joke and then I'd wonder why they would appoint someone like that but I wondered why Neville would even take the job as well. Didn't speak the language, different league, big club, expectant supporters - it would have been a big shock if it had went right to be honest. I don't mind the 'fair play to him' bit when managers actually have some form of managerial experience before and not absolutely zero of it.

It will be interesting to see him analyse/criticise managerial decisions now that the managers have something to spectacularly point to in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Valencia job was hubris and more to the point a favour from Peter Lim who has an interest in Salford City.

Im sure Lim cares as much about Salford as the man on the moon, he got involved with them so he could have connections to the United boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Corholio wrote: »
    Decisions to take jobs never seem to be mentioned when something doesn't go quite right, especially with young managers. It's always 'fair play to him for trying' 'he'll learn from the experience' or 'it won't affect him getting jobs' completely nullifying any terrible results or tactics they put out. When I first heard that Neville could be in line for the Valencia job I thought it was a joke and then I'd wonder why they would appoint someone like that but I wondered why Neville would even take the job as well. Didn't speak the language, different league, big club, expectant supporters - it would have been a big shock if it had went right to be honest. I don't mind the 'fair play to him' bit when managers actually have some form of managerial experience before and not absolutely zero of it.

It will be interesting to see him analyse/criticise managerial decisions now that the managers have something to spectacularly point to in return.

I doubt he'll go back into TV full time after this.

He strikes me as a proud man and he'll be desperate for another chance at management fairly quickly when he is inevitably sacked at the end of the season.

His opinion isn't going to carry anywhere near as much weight anymore as he been somewhere and failed, at least with a pundit who never became a manger you can't say he failed as you never know how good a manger he could be so he has a free hit to criticise what he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bad move on his part. Regardless of what potential he has as a manager, taking on a first job where there is a huge language barrier isn't going to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Im a Liverpool fan and i hope he gets the bullet soon because I actually miss his punditry on Sky.

Neville was probably the best pundit on Irish and British TV, I'd easily have him over the likes of Jim Begin, Ronnie Whelan and Mark Lawrenson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He strikes me as a proud man and he'll be desperate for another chance at management fairly quickly when he is inevitably sacked at the end of the season.
    Technically he won't be sacked as his contract runs out at the end of the season anyway. As for him getting back on the bike straight away? I'm not so sure. I think he'll go to the Euros with England and then take a bit of a break before getting back to the Sky studios. Eventually he may go down the managerial road again but I doubt it will be any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Corholio wrote: »

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. It's not madness, it's the Valencia managerial merry-go-round.
    Pellegrino, Djukic, Nuno... taking constant risks in hiring young managers who have never had any success at top level sides over and over again.

Nuno, the Jorge Mendes lackey, floundering badly, is finally sacked with the team playing pathetic football, despite having started the season with such high expectations. The club finally have money, the fans expect someone experienced; someone to re-stabilise a club that finally looked to be gaining some stability. We get Gary Neville.

Sure, hindsight is wonderful. And if one of those appointments had worked it would have looked genius. But can Valencia please, please just hire an experienced, proven manager, at least until the club is firmly re-established as a top 4 fixture, and stop taking stupid plunges? :(

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Im a Liverpool fan and i hope he gets the bullet soon because I actually miss his punditry on Sky.

Neville was probably the best pundit on Irish and British TV, I'd easily have him over the likes of Jim Begin, Ronnie Whelan and Mark Lawrenson.

He's massively over-rated as a pundit, and he was not even a pundit. He was an analyst who was given an hour or so to go through the intricacies of the weekends games. As seen with the likes of Koeman etc., most ex-pros and managers can do that. The above named are co-commentators who are there to add colour commentary, not analyse the game. Match of the Day etc. is set up for everyone to watch, from rabid football fan, to people who have barely a passing interest in the game, that's why it doesn't go into the intricacies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sacked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

kfallon wrote: »
    Sacked!

Just saw that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If only Rafa held out another 2 weeks he'd have gotten the Valencia job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Bound to happen at this stage.

fair play to him for taking it on but i think he will stick to punditry now he never seemed like he enjoyed it on the touchline.

I'm not sure he can return to SKY really, his words will ring hollow.

Unlike all the other highly successful managers who now provide punditry on Sky.

Look, he gave it a go, he made a bollocks out of it, he'll get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

He was found out, empty vessels and all that... Should stick to the BBC reality show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He could be a better coach than a manager/head coach and may stick to that as well as being a pundit on Sky.

I cant see him turning up on Sky until the next season anyway with the Euros around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Yeah not much a player of 20 odd years of topflight football in probably the most successful era of any non Barcelona/real madrid team ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Can't help but feel that touch screen technology in addition to those cool computer pens inflated Gary's ego and are at fault for all of this.

Advertisement