Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gary Neville Valencia Manager - Sacked 30th March

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He picked the wrong club to start his management career aspirations at, simples. Valencia's end season run in is very tough. They could easily find themselves in a relegation battle now. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Turtwig wrote: »
    He picked the wrong club to start his management career aspirations at, simples. Valencia's end season run in is very tough. They could easily find themselves in a relegation battle now. :eek:

He should have took the Swansea job at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think people are being overly harsh. He's only been in the management game a wet week, he may well learn a lesson from it and come back better for it.

He would be wise to start somewhere more suitable to his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I was a frequent critic of his Valencia team over on the La Liga thread and I feel justifiably so given just how fire they were in almost all of their games under him. He absolutely can't be absolved from the blame but he also shouldn't be made a scapegoat either.

It's a club that has been mismanaged for years. Lim brought hope with his vast amounts of cash but the money has been spent so poorly, their recruitment not so much scattergun as more far too subservient to the desires of Jorge Mendes. It's a squad that is so unbalanced and lacking in anything resembling morals fibre that to brand them a disgrace would be almost too kind. I don't think I've ever seen such a large group of players so blatantly down tools as this Valencia group have under Neville. In the end the Englishman became less and less the head coach of a top flight soccer team and more a professional apologist serving at the behest of a club in meltdown and footballers only too happy to go down with the ship.

While you can charge him with not being able to motivate and inspire this Valencia squad, he should not be the sole defendant for the devastation of a formerly great club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

All of Valencia's woes are common knowledge. Thing is Gary also knew them. So, I put most of the blame on him actually.

Last season Valencia played some excellent football. Aside from Otamendi they didn't exactly change their squad a whole lot. Fact is under Gary those were some of the worst performances I've seen from a Valencia team in a long long time.

• Advertisement

It was a massive gamble appointing him so not surprising it didn't last long. Disastrous signing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Straight back into a cushy job at sky telling us how this player should have done this, that player should have done that..

NIMAN wrote: »
    Straight back into a cushy job at sky telling us how this player should have done this, that player should have done that..

In fairness he's good at his job at sky.

I can imagine some managers and players having digs at his failure though when he criticises them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Good in the pundit role previously no doubt however if he returns it's with his tail between legs now and some criticism surely extremely limited; how could anyone take seriously for instance this guy complaining about yet another foreign manager who hasn't learned the language properly,failing to beat teams in the relegation zone,getting destroyed 7-0 even when its against far superior opposition etc....pot kettle and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I don't get why people think your punditry or knowledge of the game is undermined because you failed in your first managers job. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

adox wrote: »
    I don't get why people think your punditry or knowledge of the game is undermined because you failed in your first managers job. :confused:

Me either. Wasn't aware Lee Dixon, Didi Hamann and the lads were all potential Van Gaal replacements.

Hard to figure out whether a lot of the posters loving this are just Liverpool fans or people with a weird sense of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

It makes no sense at all. Two different jobs .As I said before on this thread he is very good at explaining stuff to people that need it explained to them. The majority of TV viewers. The level of player he is dealing with understands all the stuff he points out on the TV and know it themselves anyway and are exposed to it on a daily basis I'd imagine. Totally different skillsets required to be a manager. He may do a better job in his native language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

In all fairness I dont think he did the wrong thing taking the job, if he had succeeded he would have went straight to the top of the list at United. As it was he had no chance. He failed big deal hes not the first manager to fail, Luis Enrique wasnt didnt exactly do much at Roma. Jose Mourninho didnt exactly pull up any trees in charge of Mourinho, Conte left Atalanta in the relegation zone. Those saying his opinion will not be taken seriously now because he failed in his first job made more difficult due to it being in another country where he had the basic of the language havent a clue tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I really don't see this changing or undermining his punditry in any way. What he says holds no less value for his experience as Valencia manager - looking at tactical play and analyzing what's happening in a game is a very different thing to actually trying to manifest your will onto a large group of individuals.

I think in the long run, if he actually fancies it, he'll still make a good manager.

As for a return to punditry, I'd say he'll take the rest of the season off, go to the Euro's with the England camp, and then return to Sky for next season. Carra will take the piss out of him in the first episode, Neville will sheepishly laugh, before asking what major clubs Carra has tried to manage, then he'll give a bit of a rundown of the experience for 20 minutes - and then it'll be back to business as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Attempting to criticize managers who most likely couldn't do a worse job won't be a strong point; he wasn't coy about calling Van Gaal Man United a pub team and that was when they were beating Liverpool!! Surely he'd have to keep the likes of that in reserve. Do you not agree?

He can still be a good pundit so doubt people wouldn't undermine in that sense but to think he'd still have a free run at certain issues. His flop at Valencia has hindered that surely his first job in management sure but the football universe is largely a fickle one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

CSF wrote: »
    Me either. Wasn't aware Lee Dixon, Didi Hamann and the lads were all potential Van Gaal replacements.

Hard to figure out whether a lot of the posters loving this are just Liverpool fans or people with a weird sense of perspective.

I think you will find most Liverpool fans are not too bothered about Nevile, I know i don't take any pleasure in him failing like i did with Keane and others. His stock will have fallen with this though, he was a disaster. You cant ignore how bad he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If only Rafa held out another 2 weeks he'd have gotten the Valencia job.

He's better off away from it. He's never going to do as well as last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Attempting to criticize managers who most likely couldn't do a worse job won't be a strong point; he wasn't coy about calling Van Gaal Man United a pub team and that was when they were beating Liverpool!! Surely he'd have to keep the likes of that in reserve. Do you not agree?

But no pundit is ever saying they could do a better job - they're simply pointing out the flaws and potential tactical options. I think everyone is aware that actually making those changes happen on the field is the hard part of management.

Honestly I don't think his approach to punditry would be any less credible after the Valencia job. His position of knowledge is always coming from that of a player who played successfully at the very top level of the game and is more intelligent and observant than most. He's already proven his footballing chops in the most practical of ways - failing at a whole separate side of football doesn't remove the knowledge gained from a successful 20 odd years of playing and winning everything, under one of the best managers in history.

Particularly when you consider that his strength is in actually breaking down and showing what he means - he doesn't just throw out hypotheticals, he illustrates his point clearly and effectively so you understand what he's saying.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, I really don't see this changing or undermining his punditry in any way. What he says holds no less value for his experience as Valencia manager - looking at tactical play and analyzing what's happening in a game is a very different thing to actually trying to manifest your will onto a large group of individuals.

I think in the long run, if he actually fancies it, he'll still make a good manager.

As for a return to punditry, I'd say he'll take the rest of the season off, go to the Euro's with the England camp, and then return to Sky for next season. Carra will take the piss out of him in the first episode, Neville will sheepishly laugh, before asking what major clubs Carra has tried to manage, then he'll give a bit of a rundown of the experience for 20 minutes - and then it'll be back to business as usual.

He's on record as saying his long term future does not lie in management. Coaching and/or TV punditry I suppose then. Not sure if his Valencia experience would encourage him to take up a similar role again anytime soon.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10117977/gary-neville-tells-sky-sports-his-future-does-not-lie-in-management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am surprised it's taken this long to put an end to this farce, the man was just completely out of his depth. I hope that it hasn't come too late for Valencia, they're too good a team to go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

By the way - what happens to poor old Phil? He seemed to be motoring away as assistant, I doubt he'll be thanking his brother if he gets the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok did anybody hear graham hunter on Off the Ball last night talking about Neville ?

I have to say I don't think I have ever heard anything more sycophantic on a sports program before.

According to him everyone was to blame bar Neville.
    And even when he did admit Neville made mistakes, shure wasn't he a great man for admitting to them.

Then he started waffling on about the class of 92 and how they are setting their aim at taking over man united.

I have heard hunter good few times before, but jaysus I never knew he had such a hard on for Neville.

I'd say Neville's mother wouldn't have been as good on the show. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Worst British manager ever to manage in Spain.

Worst Valancia manager ever.

At least he broke those records. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

jmayo wrote: »
    Ok did anybody hear graham hunter on Off the Ball last night talking about Neville ?

I have to say I don't think I have ever heard anything more sycophantic on a sports program before.

According to him everyone was to blame bar Neville.
    And even when he did admit Neville made mistakes, shure wasn't he a great man for admitting to them.

Then he started waffling on about the class of 92 and how they are setting their aim at taking over man united.

I have heard hunter good few times before, but jaysus I never knew he had such a hard on for Neville.

I'd say Neville's mother wouldn't have been as good on the show. :rolleyes:

I didn't hear the OTB interview, but he does be on Talksport a lot and is the same as you describe above. Always blaming someone else. He seems to have a very pro Neville agenda for whatever reason.

I have to say, i don't take any pleasure out of Neville's failure at Valencia. It was a tough, maybe silly job to take especially as the your first in management, but i'm sure very hard to turn down.

I hope he doesn't do a Timmy big balls Sherwood and think he's too big for Championship clubs. Someone like Villa if they give him money to spend could be decent. Nothing wrong with working your way up.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I didn't hear the OTB interview, but he does be on Talksport a lot and is the same as you describe above. Always blaming someone else. He seems to have a very pro Neville agenda for whatever reason.

I have to say, i don't take any pleasure out of Neville's failure at Valencia. It was a tough, maybe silly job to take especially as the your first in management, but i'm sure very hard to turn down.

I hope he doesn't do a Timmy big balls Sherwood and think he's too big for Championship clubs. Someone like Villa if they give him money to spend could be decent. Nothing wrong with working your way up.

Might not be what other Villa fans want, but I wouldnt be aghast if Villa took a shot with him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

astonaidan wrote: »
    Might not be what other Villa fans want, but I wouldnt be aghast if Villa took a shot with him tbh

Yeah it would probably be a risk alright and maybe Villa was the wrong club to pick out, but he'd be respected at Villa which is a start. I'm just thinking more in the line of working your way up and not necessarily thinking you should be an automatic Premier League manager based solely on your playing days.

If it's good enough for the likes of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink etc

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah it would probably be a risk alright and maybe Villa was the wrong club to pick out, but he'd be respected at Villa which is a start. I'm just thinking more in the line of working your way up and not necessarily thinking you should be an automatic Premier League manager based solely on your playing days.

If it's good enough for the likes of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink etc

Yup think the same. Give him some scratch and see what he can do in a country hes familiar with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Panthro wrote: »

I actually think he would be good within a youth set up tbh and not a senior team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The touch screen messiah will return to sky sports for the upcoming season.

Ouch his ego must of took a hammering this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ricero wrote: »
    The touch screen messiah will return to sky sports for the upcoming season.

Ouch his ego must of took a hammering this year

Jaysus you have some weird obsessional grudge with Gary Neville. I thought I'd point that out in just in case you're not aware.

Anyway, good news for Sky and football fans in general having the GOAT football analyst back on TV.

Hated neville as a player but he was great as a sky pundit. I just feel him taking the valencia job reeked of a man with a big ego and who beleived his own sky sports made hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ricero wrote: »
    Hated neville as a player but he was great as a sky pundit. I just feel him taking the valencia job reeked of a man with a big ego and who beleived his own sky sports made hype.

Taking the Valencia is something you hold against HIM? You begrudge him for being ambitious and taking a big job that was offered to him?

By all means criticise the powers that be who offered him the job and gave him the opportunity but to hold a grudge against Neville for accepting it is pretty dumb.

Also he was apart of that shocking england set up this year. Perhaps hes decided to step away from the game all together due to his failures in management/coaching and focus full time on punditry.

Anyway i do enjoy him and carragher they have good chemistry

• Gary hates Liverpool
    Hence his hate for Gary
    It's simple really

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Gary hates Liverpool
    Hence his hate for Gary
    It's simple really

As i said before i hated gary when he played for man united but i do enjoy his punditry. Just im sure all of this has been a dent to his ego which i feel was inflated during his time as a sky pundit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Gary hates Liverpool
    Hence his hate for Gary
    It's simple really

Sure he is a scouser himself isn't he? Neville that is!

• ricero wrote: »
    As i said before i hated gary when he played for man united but i do enjoy his punditry. Just im sure all of this has been a dent to his ego which i feel was inflated during his time as a sky pundit

Suddenly you know it was his ego that lead him to take a huge opportunity for Valencia?

• Sure he is a scouser himself isn't he? Neville that is!

He was born in Manchester
    He played for Man Utd
    But yea that makes him a scouser :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Blatter wrote: »
    Taking the Valencia is something you hold against HIM? You begrudge him for being ambitious and taking a big job that was offered to him?

By all means criticise the powers that be who offered him the job and gave him the opportunity but to hold a grudge against Neville for accepting it is pretty dumb.

But read the Roberto Martinez thread about taking the Belgium job, many posts critcising him, not the powers to be. Neville deserves stick when he makes mistakes like any other manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He was born in Manchester
    He played for Man Utd
    But yea that makes him a scouser :o

I think hes referring to that show about his ancestry where it was revealed they were scousers and he wasn't a happy camper. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Kirby wrote: »
    I think hes referring to that show about his ancestry where it was revealed they were scousers and he wasn't a happy camper. :p

Exactly! You'd think his number one fan Mick would have got the reference, oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Delighted he's coming back to do what he's best at.

Couldn't give a toss that he failed at management. It's actually meaningless. You can still analyse games and be good at it. Just because he couldn't get teams to be good doesn't mean his opinion is now worthless.

Anyone who thought being able to analyse a game succinctly made you a good manager is a moron.

The double act with Carra has been sorely missed.

SlickRic wrote: »

Anyone who thought being able to analyse a game succinctly made you a good manager is a moron.

He is very good at analysing the actual football. But when he starts criticising managers and their mistakes, it will just be hypocritical.
    Sure the ones that come to my mind is Wenger, rodgers, Moyes and Pardew in the last two seasons. He couldnt be that harsh this season on mangers because of the recent mistakes he made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

enzo roco wrote: »
    He is very good at analysing the actual football. But when he starts criticising managers and their mistakes, it will just be hypocritical.
    Sure the ones that come to my mind is Wenger, rodgers, Moyes and Pardew in the last two seasons. He couldnt be that harsh this season on mangers because of the recent mistakes he made.

With this logic, the likes of Alex Ferguson could only be pundits.

Or us having a negative opinion on a player despite them being much better than us.

Unearthly wrote: »
    With this logic, the likes of Alex Ferguson could only be pundits.

Or us having a negative opinion on a player despite them being much better than us.

Yeah, I know, youre right.

But I'd also argue he does deserve the stick he gets as this year has not been good for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah, I know, youre right.

But I'd also argue he does deserve the stick he gets as this year has not been good for him.

I think Carragher might take the piss a bit so there isn't an elephant in the room

Plus he seems like someone who mentions his downfalls himself, for example he said his legs were well gone in his last few seasons as a player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There's a load of ex-players and managers in punditry who were bang average in their day and some who were plain sh*te and they're criticising players and managers every week. If it's alright for them it's alright for Neville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's a load of ex-players and managers in punditry who were bang average in their day and some who were plain sh*te and they're criticising players and managers every week. If it's alright for them it's alright for Neville.

It does get to me a little bit when Robbie Savage says what Iniesta should have done. That's on the extreme end of the scale though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Watching Neville on SSN now. He seems a bit uneasy which is natural after his last 6 months. Also he isn't doing MNF he will just make some guest appearances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement